subfolders when delivering an object in a prim?

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Allen Partridge

subfolders when delivering an object in a prim?

Post by Allen Partridge »

When I list an item on Marketplace I can sort things into very convenient folders, which is incredibly helpful for people working with scripts. But when i drop it into a prim for in world sales - meh, ugliness. Is there no way to give nested subfolders in world? Only in the marketplace?

--Allen
Check out Virtually Human Builders Guides and Metaverse Ideas Center in Kitely: [url]hop://osgrid.kitely.com:8002/Virtually%20Human/119/31/23[/url] or visit my YouTube Channel to see what's happening in Virtual Worlds [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/virtuallyhuman/[/youtube]
Ilan Tochner

Re: subfolders when delivering an object in a prim?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Allen,

The Kitely Market uses our internal Inventory Service API for direct delivery while Inworld delivery is limited to LSL commands. This permits us a lot more flexibility than that provided by regular OpenSim APIs.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Allen Partridge
Allen Partridge

I love the way the Kitely Marketplace does it - having the folders is infinitely better for my customers. But I'm oh so sad that you still can't just create a directory structure inside an object. I've read a little about various solutions for 'unpacking' but in the end it's tough to do ease of use when people have to do all kinds of fussing just to find the elements you're offering them. My instinct is to just not sell it from within the grid, and make the in world kiosk a hyperlink to the market. Do you think forcing customers to the market would be a big issue for people? I offer them for sale in KC's so it's no different in terms of cost. Anyone have thoughts about what might impede people from just using marketplace only for sales?

--Allen
Check out Virtually Human Builders Guides and Metaverse Ideas Center in Kitely: [url]hop://osgrid.kitely.com:8002/Virtually%20Human/119/31/23[/url] or visit my YouTube Channel to see what's happening in Virtual Worlds [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/virtuallyhuman/[/youtube]
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

"Don't make me think".

Click
Buy item for KC99999 from
Buy

vs

Click object
Load web page popup
Click Go to page
Do you want to open your web browser
Ok
Load web page
View item
Add to cart
Buy.

(My in world stuff is set to buy now, and right click to view on Kitely market to give people the choice)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Allen Partridge

Good point. Here's the problem.

Click Buy - ok.

Now because there are no folders.

Open your inventory and make a folder called n
Click this box which i'll use to llGive inventory and generate all the other top level folders and sub folders - but not nested because i'm not allowed to do that.
Click this notecard to read instructions
Click the folders one at a time and sort them into the proper subfolder locations

Vs. Open your browser and buy it on marketplace, get all the nested folders and be happy.

I think it's a bummer either way for in world buyers. I could just not give the bonus of easily browsable scripts to people who purchase in world. hmmmmm..... it's a dilemma. I'll figure out something i suppose. love to hear if others have this dilemma - what you are doing about it.

--Allen
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Hm, interesting.
Luckily I don't need subfolders :D

You could distribute in sections(yuk), or use an object oriented naming convention to logically separate things in the filename (which is what I do on other project types)

>item_main_given_folder
section/item
section2/item

not ideal.. but..
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.