Linking Limit

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Sarge Misfit

Linking Limit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

What is the maximum number of prims that can be linked together in a non-physical object? I have a couple of things to import that exceed 256 prims linked together.

Also, what is the maximum number of prims that can be linked together in a physical object? This one is particularly important as I have a few vehicles that exceed SL's 30 prim limit.
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Graham Mills

Re: Linking Limit

Post by Graham Mills »

I got to 8000-ish last summer which beat Wizzy's record as of that time (don't tell her). Can't speak to physical.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Graham Mills wrote:I got to 8000-ish last summer which beat Wizzy's record as of that time (don't tell her). Can't speak to physical.
wow! i had no idea you could do that!
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Proof! http://imm.io/1eFYg (and Ilan saw it too -- three klein bottles linked and clientside rotating). The record is much higher now (Wizzy is at some ridiculous number like 20000+, I think). Incidentally, it makes a difference which viewer you use -- Kokua imposes the SL limit. Of course, it's also possible that Kitely has changed in the meantime and importing isn't the same as linking inworld...
Sherrie Melody wrote:
Graham Mills wrote:I got to 8000-ish last summer which beat Wizzy's record as of that time (don't tell her). Can't speak to physical.
wow! i had no idea you could do that!
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

OpenSim does improve on SL in several areas :D
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Constance Peregrine
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:OpenSim does improve on SL in several areas :D
That makes me wonder why SL has such a low limit. Are there any disadvantages to high prim count in a linked object? I don't know, something like high demand on ram, or resources, or something?
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

A lot of the limits (in general, not just SL) are storage related, and many decisions were made in days when hard drives cost actual money, and every little bit of storage space was important. This is why land size is 256x256 which is a convenient size to store. Other limits are for calculation reasons, or speed reasons, or convenience, or just seemed like a good idea at the time :)

These days, meh.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits if you feel the urge to read. You'll notice most of the numbers are (or almost are) powers of 2 :)
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Sherrie Melody
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Sherrie Melody wrote:
That makes me wonder why SL has such a low limit. Are there any disadvantages to high prim count in a linked object? I don't know, something like high demand on ram, or resources, or something?
ah, I do recall that it was a slow, tedious and not entirely trivial business at the time. now? I have no idea.
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Graham Mills wrote:
Sherrie Melody wrote:
ah, I do recall that it was a slow, tedious and not entirely trivial business at the time. now? I have no idea.
Do you mean the act of actually linking? That would make sense too.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

At a certain point, the number of of prims in an object will behave as though lagged if you try to move it. Offline, I have my instance configured to limit linking to 255. I use Angstrom for its HPA archiving and that won't handle more than 255 for some reason. So, its good to hear that I can import those without them coming apart.

However, I do have a number of vehicles that have over 30 prims linked, and a couple that close to 100, so its important that I know if they will work properly at such a size. Come to think of it, I have only one vehicle that uses less than 30 prims, a hoverboard.

What would be really cool, though, would be to link my starship together into one object and fly it. I've named it Misfit's Folly and its in 7 components for over 1,500 prims.
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly