When to Mesh, Sculpt, or Prim

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Serene Jewell

When to Mesh, Sculpt, or Prim

Post by Serene Jewell »

I'm curious if there are any guidelines for choosing when to use a mesh, a sculpt, or an in-world prim when building. For example, which method would be right for:

1. A giant space station
2. A big castle
3. A small house
4. A bookcase
5. A book

Any tips would be appreciated.
Sarge Misfit

Re: When to Mesh, Sculpt, or Prim

Post by Sarge Misfit »

There is no guideline :-)

I place a priority on appearance, then prim count. I prefer to use prims over sculpties or mesh, but that is due to my own skill levels. There is also the fact that I cannot do as much to manipulate sculpties and mesh as I can with prims. Can't hollow them, slice them or twist them. On the other hand, you can get some pretty awesome looking things with a good mesh when you make really big changes to the dimensions. I took a mesh starship that was approx 100m long, 40m tall and 20m wide and changed it to 40m x 1.5m x .1m and ended up with a very cool alien walkway.

I think a good rule of thumb would be to use what gives the most satisfying results. :-)
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post:
Rikku Cosplay
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Depending on skill, mesh CAN be and should be a lot more efficient than the other methods.
Mesh gives a lot more control OUT of world if you know how to use it, better physics control, full LOD, corners, curves, shapes, anything..

Prim gives more in-world control and responds to flexible path, so a waving flag and similar will be prim. Most people will find that prim is much quicker and easier to build with (but that's a skill level thing too)

Sculpties always were a kludge, although a very cool one :) If you are MAKING a sculptie, it will probably take a lot longer than the equivalent mesh. Prim and mesh when used correctly are capable of precision, sculpties, not so much.

If you have the skill and time, use a mesh. Otherwise prim. You can mix all together quite happily, so use what works best for you.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Serene Jewell

Post by Serene Jewell »

Thanks, this is very helpful. I have been using prims for years, but only started learning Blender about 6 months ago.

I have another question. Are there any drawbacks to joining a mesh object to prims in-world?
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Anthro Pola wrote:Thanks, this is very helpful. I have been using prims for years, but only started learning Blender about 6 months ago.

I have another question. Are there any drawbacks to joining a mesh object to prims in-world?
None that I have found. I have a vehicle that is uses meshies, sculpties and prims. Seems to work just fine. In fact, if you pop by Regio Excelsior, you will see four floating towers above the area. The towers are connected by 'energy beams' to a central 'engine'. The towers and engine are mesh, the rest are prims.
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly