Objects disappear as zoom closer.

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Signature Safety

Objects disappear as zoom closer.

Post by Signature Safety »

I am occasionally having an issue with objects, or parts of linked objects, disappearing from view as I zoom closer.
The specific item for this example is an assembled builders scaffold with a set of the components stacked next to the scaffold.
All items are prim builds with low pixel simple textures.
I have the draw depth set to 160m and have a fps of 70+.
This only occurs for certain builds and not for others.
The attached pictures show the items from zoomed out, then closer and finally very close.
As you can see; as I zoom closer, parts disappear.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Attachments
Scaffold 1.png
Scaffold 1.png (300.86 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
Scaffold 2.png
Scaffold 2.png (307.18 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
Scaffold 4.png
Scaffold 4.png (312.77 KiB) Viewed 5444 times
These users thanked the author Signature Safety for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerSnoots Dwagon
Signature Safety

Re: Objects disappear as zoom closer.

Adding to my lack of understanding here, when I placed these same objects onto a Mesh flat-bed truck, and linked everything, the problems resolved itself.
So if anyone has some thoughts on why this happens, I'd appreciate them.
Trying to make builds as efficient as possible while adding the amount of detail needed for training of construction workers.
Thanks
Attachments
Scaffold 5.png
Scaffold 5.png (317.75 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Signature,

Are these meshes you've uploaded yourself, did you include ones for all the LODs?
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:26 am
Are these meshes you've uploaded yourself, did you include ones for all the LODs?
Ummm, these are prims, not meshes, Ilan. ;)

I had a look at the place and didn't see anything unusual with those prims. However, several parts of the truck, including the front wheels failed to render for me:
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (99.03 KiB) Viewed 5421 times
Looking at the stats, I had almost 1000 ktris/frame in some views. That's rather high but I'm not sure if it's enough to cause random render failures. It's the only explanation I can think of right away though.

Oh, I also had a huge ping time peak at one point - close to 2000 ms. But it only happened ocne so it's probably not important.

(Edit: fixing typos)
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansSignature Safety
Signature Safety

Tess,
Thank you for popping over and looking at this problem directly.
What is odd is that this is the only place I am having this issue (that I'm aware of).
The only mesh at this spot is the truck, which I just added yesterday.
And from my view that solved the matter, but apparently not completely.
DV

Note: Avatars Signature Safety and DV Signature are alts for me.
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I have noticed this problem on multiple sims. It is quite often that I will log in, and my paws or feet will not appear. When I switch to wireframe mode and back, they suddenly appear. But if I don't take that step, they won't appear no matter how long I'm online. This doesn't always happen. It seems to be a random thing... and it's everywhere, not just Kitely.

This happens with other things as well. I've had walls fail to rez on buildings, as you said tires or other vehicle parts fail to rez. It doesn't seem limited to prims, mesh or sculpties... but happens with all types of constructs. It seems to me like some cache or rendering counter somewhere is not keeping proper track of what has rendered and what has not. What's most irritating about this is that the wireframe trick doesn't always work... and standard RENDER commands have no effect either. There's basically nothing the user can do but relog and hope the item renders.

Sometimes this is limited to one or two small items... sometimes to entire sections. Sometimes clearing caches helps, sometimes an entire world needs to be reset. It's definitely a problem... one that should have been tackled some time ago with great vengeance and large hammers. ; )
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 4):
Signature SafetyIlan TochnerSelby EvansZyzzyx Qinan
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I talked to Signature Safety today ( 7/28). He had some indication that one cause was an overloaded machine. I have visited there twice and could not replicate the problem. I had zero packet loss and about 30 FPS (on SceneGate)
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Selby Evans wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:25 pm
I have visited there twice and could not replicate the problem. I had zero packet loss and about 30 FPS (on SceneGate)
I couldn't replicate it on my second visit either. But after I had stayed in the region for a while, moved around it a bit and started six MOP viewers (displaying static web pages) I got so much lag I had to not only relog but even reboot my computer. I don't know if that is related but it's certainly weird.

Another anomaly I notice is that when I try to open the map from my tp history, it doesn't show up properly. The map tiles show up but it's stuck on the laoding phase so I can't tp there via the map:
signature sim 2.jpg
signature sim 2.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 5367 times
He had some indication that one cause was an overloaded machine.
I assume you mean the client, not the server but in either case the question is what causes the overload?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess,

Please look at your viewer ping time and packet loss. I suspect they are quite high which could explain why things aren't loading properly for you.
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:53 am
Hi Tess,

Please look at your viewer ping time and packet loss. I suspect they are quite high which could explain why things aren't loading properly for you.
Packet loss is 0.0%. Ping time is around 200 ms which is as low as it gets when you live in Northern Norway. Besides, even if it was connection problems, it would have been on the server side since it's only that region that is affected.
Last edited by Tess Juel on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Snoots Dwagon