Texturing Mesh

Building using prims, sculpties and meshes. Texture creation techniques.
Sarge Misfit

Texturing Mesh

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Total mesh n00b here, though I seem to be doing okay with the uploading part. But, once inworld, I have major problems with applying textures. Heck, I don't even know what questions to ask.

I have Blender, Hexagon and AccuTrans installed. I've been using AccuTrans to reduce polygons and convert the mesh format to .DAE and that seems to be working. Forget Blender. No real idea why I bothered to install it. Hexagon looks like something I can learn. And that's about where I am at.
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Dundridge Dreadlow

Re: Texturing Mesh

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

You do the texturing work in the 3D software :)

All the stuff you do in world on prims, moving, scaling and texturing has to be done in the software. You also need to set up where the texture faces are or it'll all be one texture face. Once uploaded, you can retexture it and finish it off, but you need to set all the texture UVs (scales/offsets) in the software :)

Map UV, Unwrap UVW, texture map.. I don't know your software :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Dundridge Dreadlow wrote: ...

Map UV, Unwrap UVW, texture map.. I don't know your software :)
Neither do I!! :lol:

Okay, I've found that AccuTrans 3D is easiest for me. I can load an object and any textures that come with it get applied. Here's a screen shot showing the Tools menu ...

Dagon Xanith

Post by Dagon Xanith »

I am curious about Hexagon. Can you tell me more about the program and your experience with it?
I have friend who help me with Blender I am still useless.
I use mainly photoshop 3d but its got some issues or I have some with it because I am still learning the program
I have SL friend who makes mesh shape kits that you can texture and build in world that he gave me permission to play with here so that what I am going to do.
I got tons uploads to do because I don't think models have bulk upload feature Or do they?
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Dagon Xanith wrote:I am curious about Hexagon. Can you tell me more about the program and your experience with it?
I have friend who help me with Blender I am still useless.
I use mainly photoshop 3d but its got some issues or I have some with it because I am still learning the program
I have SL friend who makes mesh shape kits that you can texture and build in world that he gave me permission to play with here so that what I am going to do.
I got tons uploads to do because I don't think models have bulk upload feature Or do they?
I wish I could, Dagon, but I mostly just 'hacked' my way around things, trying different things out. I am definitely not a 3D modeller. I did find that the simpler the mesh the more likely I could convert it to a sculptie using Hexagon. What I did was to find a mesh object online, say a sword, then load it into Hexagon. In Hexagon, you can see if the mesh is one single object or made up of many. If a single object, I just moved on. But, a 'linkset' sort of object I would separate and save the pieces. Then load each piece individually and save as a sculpty. I wish I could describe specific steps, but I have switched to Linux and no longer have it installed to double check the menu items I used. Still, it was relatively straight forward. Load mesh, take it apart, save each piece, convert each piece.

Oh, and cover your butt. I used only mesh objects with unlimited unrestricted licensing. Some creators get upset if you take the object apart even if they grant an unlimited copy license, so fully unrestricted license is best for this.

When it comes to using Blender, I am just as bad off as you. However, check the G+ OpenSim Virtual Community. Orion Greymoon used to post Blender tutorials that looked easy enough, I just never got around to following them. In fact, I just took a look and the Community has a separate section just for Blender & Mesh https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities ... 3705079d5f

Dagon Xanith

Post by Dagon Xanith »

Cool thing about photoshop cc is you draw whatever shape you want and turn into 3d.
But there is lot I don't know.
I am struggling bit just trying to get the textures aligned with the prims I am working on.
I have spent last 2 months trying to figure out how to texture map inside cube to point of ripping hair out.
And friend help in blender make a mesh house recently but I got annoyed with something and accidentally deleted everything in Summerland region.
I keep trying following tutorials.
I finally figured out how to rotate shapes in blender and in 3d photoshop.
But I haven't figured out how to get the texturing details I want in either program.
The only mesh models I use are the one's I create myself or my friends.
Cel Edman has Celizumhttps://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/13486? which is pretty cool and its okay to use dae file you generate from the shapes and you have permission by him to upload them into any world.
You texture them once you're in world with whatever textures you make or have.
I am going to try to see if I can attempt using them in photoshop for texture maps.
There are restrictions in selling, giving away full permission via his TOS but to get the file you have
to be able to generate the dae in Second life first.
I wish he had shop here.
He was great guy too. I wish he come open a store here but sadly he is another friend I haven't figured out how to convince come over here.
I personally rarely sell my work I don't think its good enough yet even after trying to make content for last 10 plus years.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

Well, I don't do anything SL anymore :)

However, when it comes to getting mesh objects, I go to ShareCG.com http://www.sharecg.com/index.php?inters ... played=Yes You can narrow your selection by file type, licence, contributor, theme, price.

When it comes to creating my won mesh objects, I go to ShareCG.com :lol: I'm a pretty good builder, can make my own poses, edit simple textures and scripts, but when it comes to 3D modelling I have as much talent as a rock :)

Dagon Xanith

Post by Dagon Xanith »

That cool Sarge.
I am still learning myself of course I want to make my own but it can bit tricky.
With Cel's dae generator tonight I was able to finally successfully texture my own hopefully virtual home.
The issue with the dae box when upload it yeah I can texture it in world if I want it all the same color but I don't want it all the same color.
I am so excited about finally figure out how to paint my first mesh pixels some what better than I have been.
I am so happy with it I have to share the texture I did. It doesn't look like much but its my first half way successful attempt.
pngfdagonedit06 v37 celzium02openbox.png
pngfdagonedit06 v37 celzium02openbox.png
Dagon Xanith

Post by Dagon Xanith »

Snapshotoffirstmeshhouse_001
Snapshotoffirstmeshhouse_001
And this is the texture in kitely....
Back was one of my failed prim texture map attempts.
Next attempt is try to get the details on the mesh.
This is big deal because I have struggle for months to figure this out.
These users thanked the author Dagon Xanith for the post (total 2):
Dot MatrixMarstol Nitely
Dagon Xanith

Post by Dagon Xanith »

Sarge I got totally share this because this is best mesh house I have made actually the first after numerous major failures.
I got share with someone I hope you don't mind.
I hope it inspires you to create something you like:)
Snapshotoffirstmeshhouse_2
Snapshotoffirstmeshhouse_2
I discovered though there are some disadvantages of mesh houses. You can't enter them unless they are phantom and if you're in a sky box you fall through the ground unless you have solid prim rug.
Last edited by Dagon Xanith on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dagon Xanith for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineMarstol NitelyJustin Smith