Post by Sherrie Melody »

So, when we gonna have a boat race?
These users thanked the author Sherrie Melody for the post:
Jean Swashbuckler
Ilan Tochner

Re: SL Scripter comments, is this accurate

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Jean and Boo,

Just one comment about rubberbanding, this shouldn't happen in worlds that are set up in Advanced Megaregion mode as the entire world is basically one big region.

Please make sure that the world you test in is in Addvanced Megaregion mode and let me know if you encounter any region-boundary-crossing issues.

To enable/disable Advanced Megaregion mode:
1) Go to your My Worlds page and press the Manage link next to the world you wish to configure.
2) The Manage World dialog will open, in it switch to the Advanced tab.
3) Select or unselect the Advanced Megaregion mode checkbox.
4) Click the Save button. If there are people currently inside that world you'll be given the option to eject them to complete the operation (this change requires a world restart).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Jean Swashbuckler
Jean Swashbuckler

Post by Jean Swashbuckler »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Jean and Boo,
Please make sure that the world you test in is in Addvanced Megaregion mode and let me know if you encounter any region-boundary-crossing issues.
Good point Ilan. I could very well have been in when Advanced Megaregion was not enabled. I was uploading RAWs. Next time I test, I'll ensure I am in Advanced Megaregion.

As one of the others folks comments, memory lapse on name, WoW on Megaregion. When I took the draw distance out and could see the mountain sims four sims down, that was pretty cool :)
These users thanked the author Jean Swashbuckler for the post (total 2):
Sherrie MelodyConstance Peregrine
Jean Swashbuckler

Sherrie Melody wrote:So, when we gonna have a boat race?
I gotta learn to sail again LOL...but we should organize a race sometime. I actually did more power boating and jet skiing.

We could probably set that up on our 16 mega although I hadn't thought of that. Our sims in SL were mainly water and designed as large yacht parcels. Each parcel had an island. So the end result of the RAW files was a lot of water with wide channels. The net effect in the 16 is plenty of water to race in. So maybe so. At the minimum I should probably set up a rezz zone so anyone could rezz a boat.

A newb OT question. I knew how we could monitor sim activity with rezz zones in SL watching for griefers. Are there security precautions one should take with public rezz zones in Kitely?
Jean Swashbuckler

Boo Rojyo wrote:I've got a working boat and a working flying vehicle (physics not the 'wear' one I sell), that I brought over from osgrid and adapted. Drop by Booland and give them a try by all means.
Awesome! Will stop by early week. Thanks for the heads up.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Jean Swashbuckler wrote:A newb OT question. I knew how we could monitor sim activity with rezz zones in SL watching for griefers. Are there security precautions one should take with public rezz zones in Kitely?
In general I'd recommend you don't allow public rezzing in any world that is not a dedicated sandbox. While there are things you can do to try to limit this, griefers can still DoS worlds that they can build in. There is no lack of space in Kitely so I suggest that if you want to give the general public an option to build inside one of your worlds then you do so in a world you dedicate to that purpose. You don't have to listen to this advise but, as a world manager, you're the one responsible for how your world is used so I recommend you think twice before taking on unnecessary risk to that world.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Jean Swashbuckler
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Thanks Minethere & Sherrie. Hiro's boat script is working much better than the script I had. I tried Minethere's too. It looks like it will work nicely too.

I dropped by Booland. Very cool build. I liked the boat. It was very smooth and easy to operate. Love the personal hover vehicle too. Unfortunetly the Cafe made me really hunger, so now I have to sign off and find something to eat!
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineBoo Rojyo
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

Marstol Nitely wrote:Thanks Minethere & Sherrie. Hiro's boat script is working much better than the script I had. I tried Minethere's too. It looks like it will work nicely too.

I dropped by Booland. Very cool build. I liked the boat. It was very smooth and easy to operate. Love the personal hover vehicle too. Unfortunetly the Cafe made me really hunger, so now I have to sign off and find something to eat!
I recommend using Minethere's script. It fixes the issues I was talking about in Hiro's script.
These users thanked the author Sherrie Melody for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Jean Swashbuckler

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Jean Swashbuckler wrote:A newb OT question. I knew how we could monitor sim activity with rezz zones in SL watching for griefers. Are there security precautions one should take with public rezz zones in Kitely?
In general I'd recommend you don't allow public rezzing in any world that is not a dedicated sandbox.
Thanks Ilan, that works for me. I already had concerns and that confirmed them. I'll set up a rezz area for friends in a group. That way, only folks I know and trust can rezz and sail. Does this make sense?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Jean Swashbuckler wrote:Thanks Ilan, that works for me. I already had concerns and that confirmed them. I'll set up a rezz area for friends in a group. That way, only folks I know and trust can rezz and sail. Does this make sense?
Yes, that would be preferable. An additional optimization would be to ask these people to refrain from rezzing new objects when the world is under heavy use. Building puts some stress on a simulator. Usually it isn't noticeable but if the sim is currently under heavily load then that extra strain can be the difference between a lag-free/low-lag experience and having noticeable lag.