Prim to prim communications

Creating scripts
Okie Meow

Prim to prim communications

Post by Okie Meow »

Hello all,

I was figuring out to which extend it is possible to do prim to prim communications.

Having looked at the opensimulator wiki, i found OsMessageObject. After setting up two prims, where the sender sends a message on a 10 second timer, I found this only seems to work when both sender and receiver are on the same world (world size doesn't matter). Because when I placed the sender prim in another world, the receiver wouldn't receive messages.

Then I tried the same using llEmail functions which didn't work, as I later read on the forums. I understand the risk of prims spamming real world email addresses, but I was expecting the llEmail function to at least work within kitely; I think this is also the most common use of the function.

Of course there is the problem of kitely worlds running only on demand (when there are visitors). That makes me question if this functionality is possible at all?

Some uses of this as seen in that other virtual world:

* Product update servers (for example an object has a menu with an update button which contact the server object)
* Prize givers (think a game like 7seas or krafties where the players receive loot from the loot servers located in the sim of their HQ)
* Networked vendors (you update one, and all vendors on all 'worlds' will be up to date)

Cheers,
Okie
Graham Mills

Re: Prim to prim communications

Post by Graham Mills »

This is an interesting question. I had some limited success with http://was.fm/secondlife/intercom -- need to go back to it sometime.

PS: Of course, you can't update worlds that aren't running (that's one respect in which Kitely's regions are not "real" in terms of the recent HGBiz article). My interest is mainly in terms of scaling student experiences so students close to the same geographical location in different cloned regions can communicate synchronously or asynchronously via some scripted solution like intercom or an extension thereof. In that context you need to queue messages if the world is offline. I guess dynamically writing notecards would be an option if you didn't want to involve an external server.
Okie Meow wrote:Hello all,

I was figuring out to which extend it is possible to do prim to prim communications.

Having looked at the opensimulator wiki, i found OsMessageObject. After setting up two prims, where the sender sends a message on a 10 second timer, I found this only seems to work when both sender and receiver are on the same world (world size doesn't matter). Because when I placed the sender prim in another world, the receiver wouldn't receive messages.

Then I tried the same using llEmail functions which didn't work, as I later read on the forums. I understand the risk of prims spamming real world email addresses, but I was expecting the llEmail function to at least work within kitely; I think this is also the most common use of the function.

Of course there is the problem of kitely worlds running only on demand (when there are visitors). That makes me question if this functionality is possible at all?

Some uses of this as seen in that other virtual world:

* Product update servers (for example an object has a menu with an update button which contact the server object)
* Prize givers (think a game like 7seas or krafties where the players receive loot from the loot servers located in the sim of their HQ)
* Networked vendors (you update one, and all vendors on all 'worlds' will be up to date)

Cheers,
Okie
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Aware of the issues, but they are for the most part solvable, or bypassable. Is that a word ? It is now.

Product update servers and prize givers - these can work on the user or someone else's next visit on the host world. Inconvenient, but...
Networked vendors - just use an out of world server :)
llEmail can be replaced by checking an external http server for incoming messages

I am a little concerned if OsMessageObject doesn't work across worlds though, anyone else tested it ?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Being inherently lazy, uh, frugal with my time... is anyone aware of a decent update server, or script, free or for sale....
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I guess I could make my update system available
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Constance Peregrine
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.