Scripts Request

Creating scripts
Serenity Sinclaire

Re: Scripts Request

Post by Serenity Sinclaire »

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Graham, to my knowledge I did not receive a flashlight. How/where/when did you send it? I know I typed flashlight but mostly I meant scripts for any light you can turn on and off with a click, but flashlight too!

I'm sad that after all these years opensim still sucks compared to the things SL provides. I see complaints all over the forum about being unable to walk without hover/sinking, can't fly stuff, crappy skins/hair/etc.. sitting flips you sideways, chairs don't work, teleporting sends you somewhere warped, can create a landing point without a telehub...I mean really. Just log in and stand there.
Even with the long hiatus and being excited to return to all the new stuff, seems like OS still can't pull itself out of the 2010 era and work out collisions and teleporting avis and damage and flying and bullets and trains.

Good thing it's free...because I totally wouldn't pay for it in 2015 when it's still barely functional. :| So out of everything on the list, looks like a door and flashlight are about all I'll be able to expect.

/end depressing rant. carry on.
Serenity Sinclaire

PS out of mortal curiosity, these scripts I requested are all abundant in SL.

What's the reason they don't work with open sim and/or kitely? It's basic stuff and yet OS is lacking in pretty much everything. Can't the devs who build it figure out how to do these things so we can enjoy the same full immersion and interactive experiences?

I don't get why it's lacking. Any ideas?
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Hi Serenity

I've rezzed a copy-enabled, full perms flashlight at the entrance to the mall on the world known as Stuff. Just rightclick & Take copy. There's no animation but by default it should go to the righthand when you use Wear. As I said, it is very basic.

In terms of your general comments, I haven't been in SL for some time but I can well imagine that the competition from other platforms has been beneficial for SL. As a platform I find OpenSim to be largely comparable and in some respects (cost of land, scripting via OSSL) most likely better. Clearly the userbase is smaller and the Kitely Market lacks the depth of SL's. However, the former is relatively unimportant to educators and the latter not so crucial if you are doing either very basic or fairly innovative things as I mostly do -- and are not at all fashion conscious! I appreciate that might be a minority perspective. :) There is, of course, some excellent content on the Kitely Market and also inworld, much of which is also available and considered first-rate in SL.

As an example of innovation I would mention that over the last few days I have scripted an OSSL-based graphing tool that allows you to create simple charts without recourse to MOAP. I haven't seen anything like that in SL that didn't depend on clunky prims or particles because you can't easily create dynamic textures. Likewise, being able to create notecards dynamically has been very useful. I'm also pleased to avoid SL charges associated with uploading images and mesh (easily forgotten). And I like being able to archive regions as OAR files :)

Yes, there are some annoyances, most notably the default sit orientation though this is easily fixed using the free Magic Sit Kit. Most of the others have not proven to be an issue for me on Kitely. Use of OpenSim-specific OSSL commands can cause issues where grids have them disabled but, as I just found out, they are more flexible than the equivalents in SL. Ace scripters like Handy and Kayaker will identify gaps and bugs but historically that was true for SL as well.

Incidentally, the URL I provided to Ferd Frederix's collection of scripts (the largest anywhere to my knowledge) changed recently as Ferd moved his operation from SL to OpenSim. Perhaps people will add comments on whether scripts work OK or not in OpenSim. That would be useful. I think Fleep Tuque also maintains a list of OpenSim-tested scripts available from FleepGrid. Many SL-specific scripts can be adapted fairly readily to OpenSim but, yes, it helps to know something about scripting first.
Even with the long hiatus and being excited to return to all the new stuff, seems like OS still can't pull itself out of the 2010 era and work out collisions and teleporting avis and damage and flying and bullets and trains.
Collisions work OK as far as I know.
Teleporting avis works well using osTeleportAgent
Damage works same as in SL but has additional OSSL commands
Flying (avatars? vehicles? Keith and Kayaker can comment better on the latter)
Bullets (not an interest of mine but I modified a script from the Scripting Recipes for Second Life book which are most likely available from that URL I gave you)
Trains (I haven't tried it but Oddball Otoole has a freebie train kit; there was an excellent roller coaster on OSgrid)

As to the other stuff, have patience...
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Dot Matrix
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

Scripted collision detection sort of works with ODE, but not completely.
It wasn't working properly with Bulletsim earlier last year, and there was an unresolved report for bullets not working in this respect.
This is why Kayaker Magic switched his world back from Bulletsim to ODE, and then looked into llCastRay.
Bear in mind we're shooting at objects, or trying to detect collisions between objects.
Also problems with scripted collision detection in attachments ,which seemed to be affecting vehicles.
To be fair, I haven't looked at recent updates.

I haven't tried OSSL damage scripts.
I'm a little wary of OSSL functions. They're very useful indeed if you have the rights to run them, but if you're distributing scripts or scripted items in any way, you need to know what OSSL functions the recipients will have available.
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

Can't the devs who build it figure out how to do these things so we can enjoy the same full immersion and interactive experiences?

I don't get why it's lacking. Any ideas?
There don't seem to be very many developers. That's one problem. The obvious solution is to become one. I'm trying hard not to.

We do have an odd mix of lsl functions that work, don't work or work partly, and probably no quick solution to that, but then we do have hypergrid, which is a pretty big achievement imho, and the OSSL functions Graham mentioned, and now VAR regions. We've had IAR and OAR for some time now, and we're getting enhancements to these as well.

Overall, we can't do everything SL does, but they can't do everything we can do, either, and I think what we can do is actually more worthwhile.
OpenSim has some fundamental requirements covered that SL won't do because of their business model.
These users thanked the author Keith Selmes for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsDot Matrix
Serenity Sinclaire

Kayaker Magic is a favorite. I bought a bunch of stuff awhile ago and love them to death...plus they gave me sharks. Now if they'd whip me up some zombies, I'd be happy. But like the sharks, they'll chase and collide and "draw blood" which is cool but what I'd love to see is an upgrade so that they can bump into an avi 3 or 4 times and then "kill" them on a final attack which teleports the avi somewhere specific on or off sim - or teleport them off the sim entirely back to their own home spot. I'm still looking for a script to do that in particular so I can have booby traps in my project. Step on the trap and bam, out ya go. Or to send the avi somewhere specifically on my own region.

And that it's full perm so I can provide it in the oars I provide.

It takes all the inspiration out when I've got a great idea and can't find a door script or can't teleport to the second story or can't sit down without flipping over sideways or having to disable my AO first. I'd love to learn all this but no clue where to even start and all those scripters apparently don't have the inclination to willfully enable potential competition so they offer the absolute least amount of help.

Hell, I even offered to pay some and couldn't get a response.

So if Kitely and others wonder why there are vacant regions here too it's because they're just glorified chat rooms with trees and little to no immersion or interaction option. That's not worth paying for at the end of the day.

I can accomplish exactly the same thing with a 2d photo and flipping the image of my avi sideways and installing Disqus so we can chat. For free.

Clearly I'm jaded...can't find what I need, can't seem to find anyone nice enough to help me with or without pay, so it's pointless. I guess I'll find something else to do and keep my 20 bucks a month :(