OpenSim version 0.9, scripts, border crossings

Creating scripts
Kayaker Magic

OpenSim version 0.9, scripts, border crossings

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I have been on vacation (kayaking in RL) for the last 4 weeks. Did you miss me? Did you notice I was gone? Well I'm back now and ready to make lots of changes!

Before I left, I did a lot of testing of Open Simulator 0.9 (Kitely is using 0.8.2) and re-wrote all my vehicle scripts to work in that version and to take advantage of the new vehicle crossing capabilities. I found some killer bugs in 0.9 and submitted Mantuses (bug reports) about crossing issues which have since been fixed. So when everyone eventually switches to this version of OpenSim, there will be versions of my scripted products that work on it. Kitely has correctly NOT converted to this version of OpenSim because it is a HUGE change from 0.8.2 and it has not been adequately tested yet. I have non-physical vehicle scripts that work well in 0.9 now and also work in 0.8, so I will be upgrading all these vehicles on the Kitely Market to have these new versions. Since I came back from vacation, I have installed the latest version of OpenSim on my OSGrid regions and verified that SIM crossing for avatars and for non-physical vehicles now works great. In fact, I think the SIM border crossing in OpenSim 0.9 is now better than the border crossing in InWorlds where they brag about their border crossing logic.

What is different in scripts in 0.9? People don't believe this when I say it but I am a conservative scripter. So most of my scripts will work fine when moved to 0.9. Because of border crossing bugs in previous versions of OpenSim, I put code in my vehicle scripts to AVOID crossing borders and avoid the crashes that happened when you tried. I had to remove some of that avoidance code and allow vehicles to try to cross borders. I'm using a few OSSL calls that I avoided calling before, like osGetRegionSize. llEdgeOfWorld in 0.9 still has bugs, so it is difficult to write scripts for autonomous critters and allow them to cross borders. I will be updating scripted vehicles on the Kitely Marketplace one at a time over the next few weeks, and sending out emails to customers who might want to upgrade and get ready for OpenSim 0.9
These users thanked the author Kayaker Magic for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerConstance PeregrineGraham Mills