Airplane scripts

Creating scripts
Xxaxx Constantine

Airplane scripts

Post by Xxaxx Constantine »

Has anyone successfully introduced an airplane script (with at least some physics) into a Kitely world?

I've tried several of my fav scripts from SL and even with heavy tweaking I haven't poked and prodded them into running in a Kitely world.

Would very much like to bring my flying club membership over here.

But, I don't have a plane to offer them yet :)

Thanks for any clues,
Keith Selmes

Re: Airplane scripts

Post by Keith Selmes »

I don't know of any that are readily available. There do seem to be scripts in other grids but I think they have restrictions on usage or on distribution. For example there are some in use in OSgrid.

There is a script in a free oar download from Tokyo University at http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/?ml_lang=en. This a rather large megaregion, and includes trains as well. The actual aircraft script can be found here http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3336. The root prim of the aircraft has to contain both the script and a configuration notecard.

I've been able to use this with various configurations, it isn't realistic in all respects, but it can be adjusted to give something like helicopter or aeroplane behaviour, and it can be fun to experiment with. It can also be frustrating though. I haven't tried distributing this as the licensing conditions are not clear, and the Tokyo site is mainly in Japanese, so it's difficult to enquire.

I think also the vehicle scripts I've tried all had a prim size limit - if any prim is over 10m, they don't work.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

as to vehicle scripts, I brought in 2 scripted mesh cars a guy offered in Metropolis for free.

I have not tried them in Kitely yet tho, so ymmv...if someone does I would love to hear how that goes.

Unless they didn't import well they should be full perm and i put them in a box in the freebie ruined house in my latest region obtained here:

http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world/Min ... ays/Mineys

or the OAR obtained here:

http://minethere.blogspot.com/2013/04/f ... -oars.html

the oar is worth having in any case...

I mentioned someone to try to contact concerning airplanes elsewhere in these forums.
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Phoneix Dreamscape

Post by Phoneix Dreamscape »

Xxaxx Constantine wrote:Has anyone successfully introduced an airplane script (with at least some physics) into a Kitely world?
Hi Xxaxx,

I have a seaplane script that works beautifully here in Kitely. It has full three axis control (pitch, roll and yaw) and 10 throttle settings (plus revers when taxiing on water). Pull the power back to idle while it's flying and it will glide. The plane can take off and land on prim runways, ship decks, sim ground and water and it can transition between air, ground and water automatically. A second seat and dual controls are planned for a two seat trainer version.

It does all of this and it doesn't use physics. That means this script is not limited to 32 prim vehicles. With this script, you can fly high prim planes without having to wear them. With this, if you can link it, you can fly it.

I tinkered with ODE physics and found it is fine for cars, helicopters, balloons and hovercraft but it wasn't very good for aircraft that require three axis control. I understand that ODE will be replaced by Bullet, perhaps soon. When that happens I'm sure good flying physical aircraft will be possible.

I'll have free demos of the seaplane and other vehicles ready soon, I got sidetracked with NPCs - they are a blast too.
These users thanked the author Phoneix Dreamscape for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerDot MacchiConstance PeregrineAda RadiusXxaxx Constantine
Constance Peregrine

gtsy you post here again Phoneix-)) and I knew you had this [I just didn't know if you had it here yet], glad you told folx-))

btw, I have flown these in another grid and they are fantastic!!!!

Ephemeral wanderer...
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

Interesting news.

I was a bit puzzled by
That means this script is not limited to 32 prim vehicles.

I'm not aware of any prim limit, upwards of 250 seems fine. The only limit I've found is on prim size.

There is a problem in OpenSim with fore and aft pitch controls, and from discussion elsewhere, it wasn't clear that bullet will fix this as it may be in OS rather than the physics engine. It may make sense to wait for Bullet though.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

SL has a prim limit on physics objects/vehicles of 32 prims (It also takes the weight of the object into account - large vehicles are heavy), I do not know if this is the case on OpenSim/Kitely.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

I just checked, I have an aircraft with 296 prims which works with the NSL script in a sandbox and in Kitely.
I've never noticed a weight measurement.
Identical scripts do behave differently with vehicles of different size and shape.
The only restriction I found, as mentioned earlier, is that each component has to measure less than 10m.
Constance Peregrine

although you folx, and Phoneix, can more accurately and knowledgeably answer to all this.....here is my, possibly unwanted, unneeded, and because I comment to much because i have way too much time on my hands, comment...to wit:

I think Phoneix may have been referring to limits, not only in sl, but also inworldz. I vaguely recall some discussion on their forums concerning such things.

If this is true, and regardless, opensim has, imo, done much better in several regards to inwz and it just needs the scriptors to study this and use it.

I think the lack of this can mostly be attributed to the lack of pay for most of opensim to scriptors. I see Kitely as one way to fix this.

And, as well, once optimized here one can sell in all the other opensim grids.

I know of some great scripted cars already but I have not heard of any airplanes out in the free metaverse...tho to be sure, I don't keep up with that all very well.

back to your more knowledgeable discussion..ty for you patience, and time....

Ephemeral wanderer...
Xxaxx Constantine

Post by Xxaxx Constantine »

Phoneix Dreamscape wrote:
Xxaxx Constantine wrote:Has anyone successfully introduced an airplane script (with at least some physics) into a Kitely world?
Hi Xxaxx,

I have a seaplane script that works beautifully here in Kitely. It has full three axis control (pitch, roll and yaw) and 10 throttle settings (plus revers when taxiing on water). Pull the power back to idle while it's flying and it will glide. The plane can take off and land on prim runways, ship decks, sim ground and water and it can transition between air, ground and water automatically. A second seat and dual controls are planned for a two seat trainer version.

It does all of this and it doesn't use physics. That means this script is not limited to 32 prim vehicles. With this script, you can fly high prim planes without having to wear them. With this, if you can link it, you can fly it.

I tinkered with ODE physics and found it is fine for cars, helicopters, balloons and hovercraft but it wasn't very good for aircraft that require three axis control. I understand that ODE will be replaced by Bullet, perhaps soon. When that happens I'm sure good flying physical aircraft will be possible.

I'll have free demos of the seaplane and other vehicles ready soon, I got sidetracked with NPCs - they are a blast too.
This is most excellent news.
I have been banging my head on the physics for a while now, and things are wiggly in there :)
I very much look forward to the seaplane (and of course all your creations).