Question about SatyrFarm use on Kitely Land

Creating scripts
Daire NiMhurchu

Question about SatyrFarm use on Kitely Land

Post by Daire NiMhurchu »

Hi Folks,

I have read up on https://opensimworld.com/farm recently and figured I would like to try it out.

A question I have (and apologies if the answer is obvious lol), given that my kitely land powers down while I am away or logged out, will this impact the scripts on the farm items? Has anyone used it before?

Just asking because I think I would cry if I spent all that time laying it out to find it doesn't work :lol:

Thanks in advance
Dee
These users thanked the author Daire NiMhurchu for the post:
Graham Mills
Graham Mills

Re: Question about SatyrFarm use on Kitely Land

Post by Graham Mills »

Very good question. The scripts certainly run but I can't offhand say what happens during downtime. In general I was quite impressed and potentially have a project in mind so might be persuaded to look at the scripts if there are issues.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Daire NiMhurchu
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I searched the Kitely "Explore Worlds" web page and find 2 places that say they are using Satyr Farms:
Tessin and Norway.
You can ask them, but I have nor heard of problems from either of them. Trouble Ahead runs Tessin and I expect would have raised the issue in the forum if she had problems. In any case, you can ask the owners.
My timed scripts simply count time only while they are active.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post (total 3):
Daire NiMhurchuIlan TochnerGraham Mills
Daire NiMhurchu

Selby Evans wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:39 pm
I searched the Kitely "Explore Worlds" web page and find 2 places that say they are using Satyr Farms:
Tessin and Norway.
You can ask them, but I have nor heard of problems from either of them. Trouble Ahead runs Tessin and I expect would have raised the issue in the forum if she had problems. In any case, you can ask the owners.
My timed scripts simply count time only while they are active.
Thanks for the reply Selby :)
I searched the forums but never thought about searching worlds.

I have a little test patch set up to see how it goes - I shall report back :lol:
These users thanked the author Daire NiMhurchu for the post:
Graham Mills
Trouble Ahead

Post by Trouble Ahead »

Hello Daire, the system works well for us. Only thing that wont work on Kitely is the feature of using bots on your farming land to water your plants.. there is a feature you can rezz a little blue funny bot dwarf to water your crops when your too lazy to do it yourself. Of course the bot will disappear when your world is offline.
There is a feature like a water tower to auto- water your lands, but that needs to be reset every once in a while, but good enough for lazy farmers :)
There is also a RP money feature, people can buy and sell stuff, that works well too and funny when more people are farming on your land. Stealing crops is possible too, sell them on the market and get the coins :)
In general the system works well , but keep in mind, too many scripts running will lower performance of your world , so I decided to keep the farming lands not too big. And im too lazy to work on them too...

Enjoy farming. We are running our own brand of wine atm :lol:
These users thanked the author Trouble Ahead for the post:
Daire NiMhurchu
Daire NiMhurchu

Trouble Ahead wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:56 pm
Hello Daire, the system works well for us. Only thing that wont work on Kitely is the feature of using bots on your farming land to water your plants.. there is a feature you can rezz a little blue funny bot dwarf to water your crops when your too lazy to do it yourself. Of course the bot will disappear when your world is offline.
There is a feature like a water tower to auto- water your lands, but that needs to be reset every once in a while, but good enough for lazy farmers :)
There is also a RP money feature, people can buy and sell stuff, that works well too and funny when more people are farming on your land. Stealing crops is possible too, sell them on the market and get the coins :)
In general the system works well , but keep in mind, too many scripts running will lower performance of your world , so I decided to keep the farming lands not too big. And im too lazy to work on them too...

Enjoy farming. We are running our own brand of wine atm :lol:
Thanks so much Trouble :)
My little test patch seems to be going well so here's hoping! I am the only person in my land so theres no issue RE: performance. I still have a bit of reading up to do but I see my truck that I can activate to sell things... so its extremely interesting lol.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I haven't tested this but I suspect it should be possible to automagically restart the Farmer NPC by changing the value of AUTOREZ to 1 at the start of the script (it's 0 by default) and amending the changed event handler to support a region restart:

Code: Select all

changed (integer c)
    {
        if (c & (CHANGED_REGION_START | CHANGED_OWNER | CHANGED_REGION | CHANGED_REGION_RESTART))
        {
            if (AUTO_REZ)
            {
                doCleanup();
                doRezNpc();
            }
        }
    }
There are a few other comments in the script/help, e.g. The NPC needs a Well within 90m from him. Occasionally he will also need to find a Kitchen, a Storage Rack and a Fridge.

You can also change his appearance to your own avatar.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerDaire NiMhurchu
Brinley Taliesin
Has thanked: 0

Post by Brinley Taliesin »

You might want to check out the Satyr Farm - Quintonia Extension at https://quintonia.net/. Quintonia uses the Satyr Farm system but is being actively developed and improved, bugs fixed, and dozens of new farm items and add-ons such as an electrical power grid (all optional). If you go to the main store at "hg.osgrid.org:Mintor" you can see everything out on display, plus the many items being developed. The forum is great place to get help as well.

As for the Farmer NPC, you defintiely want to get the updated Quintonia version; the original Satyr NPC will crash a region if it's rezzed without a farm well or field near it. In the NPC controller (as well as nearly every item on the farm) is a config notecard where you can change AUTOREZ to 1 and it will re-spawn on region restarts.
These users thanked the author Brinley Taliesin for the post (total 2):
Graham MillsDaire NiMhurchu