Animesh and pathfinding

Creating scripts
Kim McCabe

Animesh and pathfinding

Post by Kim McCabe »

Anyone working on Animesh and pathfinding? Do you know of any good Animesh scripts or systems in opensim? I make my own mesh models and I can animate them, was just wondering if there was anything a little more advanced here in opensim yet. I see some systems in SL that look interesting. Can we do that here?
These users thanked the author Kim McCabe for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerChris NamasteAlexina Proctor
Chris Namaste

Re: Animesh and pathfinding

Post by Chris Namaste »

yes Kim,
i hope to find same and i'm glad u write this :)
hopefully pple will see your post & give info :)
christa
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kim,

AFAIK the pathfinding code in SL relies on their use of the Havok physics engine, which isn't an option in OpenSim.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Tess Juel
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:55 pm
AFAIK the pathfinding code in SL relies on their use of the Havok physics engine,
It does and I think it's just as well we don't have that one on opensim. SL's pathfinding function is seriously awkward to use and even worse, it takes up a horrendous amount of server capacity. It actually used to use a minimum of 23-25% of a full region's allocated server resources. LL did a thorough cleanup of the pathfinding function when they launched animesh but it's still seriously heavy for the poor simulator - 10-15% of the allocated resources if I remember correctly. Fortunately pathfinder characters in SL stack very well so multiple characters and/or more complex patterns don't add much to this base load but even so, the base load seriously limits the functions usefulness in SL.

With that being said, a more efficient and maybe also more user friendly pathfinding function would have been a great addition to opensim. Maybe somebody should have a word with Ubit about it?
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerAlexina ProctorKim McCabe