NPC Vendor Script

Creating scripts
Lunk Portal

NPC Vendor Script

Post by Lunk Portal »

Greets all!

I am filling TatooineRP with NPCs that players can interact with. So far I have about half a dozen of them, and I am using a few different scripts in each to simulate life, such as random animations, random phrases, and responses to players when clicked. So far I am very happy with the results!

Now it's time for the next wave of NPCs to "evolve" a little!

I need to figure out (or, hopefully, one already exists) a vendor script I can use in an NPC that uses a menu system to display items in the NPCs inventory for sale and allows users to search through and buy what they want. Preferably various items and different prices all read from a notecard?

I have been doing my best to stretch the imagination and abilities of OpenSim and mix as many functions together to create things that are normally not done because I LOVE OS!

I have found there are so many MORE things that can be done with building and scripting simply by putting various functions together that already exist, and I believe I can create an enjoyable RPG system on this platform.

And as usual, thanks for ANY help!!
These users thanked the author Lunk Portal for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerAda RadiusKimm Starr
B. A. Shields (Lunk Portal)
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Kitely Market - Lunk's Loot
My Novels and other Projects
https://linktr.ee/bashields
Kimm Starr

Re: NPC Vendor Script

Post by Kimm Starr »

I like how you're thinking. I'm not much into scripting but I agree that Animesh can be so much more than what it was. SL came up with such a wonderful idea with Animesh and then ruined it by making the land impact ridiculously high. Who would want one animated object that's lowest land impact is 35 and or a great looking one for 150 LI? No one, that's why the creators in SL just lost interest in the whole thing. Animesh is perfect for storytelling, a perfect accessory for any one of our beautifully built sims. It adds life and whimsy to our builds. It is so much lighter on the servers then the old NPC's. Opensim is the perfect platform for it. It's taken me over 2 years or maybe 3, lost track with all the lockdown BS to get them to a point where they are server efficient. In fact, I'm rebuilding every Animesh in my shop and will be sending updated versions to all of my customers in the very near future. I am also working with a scripter for the very best scripts. I'll talk to her for you. Fair warning, she charges but she's fair. We should get together in the future and do a little brainstorming for a future project. I'm always down for a collaboration. I'm busy right now with the Opensim Fest 2022. I have a ton of work to do before it starts the first week of July. But after that I'm game. There is so much more to learn and so much of it can be more innovative than it has been. TTYS
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post (total 2):
Lunk PortalShandon Loring
I'm obsessed with Animesh and soon you will be too!
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

Kimm Starr wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:09 am
I like how you're thinking. I'm not much into scripting but I agree that Animesh can be so much more than what it was. SL came up with such a wonderful idea with Animesh and then ruined it by making the land impact ridiculously high. Who would want one animated object that's lowest land impact is 35 and or a great looking one for 150 LI? No one, that's why the creators in SL just lost interest in the whole thing. Animesh is perfect for storytelling, a perfect accessory for any one of our beautifully built sims. It adds life and whimsy to our builds. It is so much lighter on the servers then the old NPC's. Opensim is the perfect platform for it. It's taken me over 2 years or maybe 3, lost track with all the lockdown BS to get them to a point where they are server efficient. In fact, I'm rebuilding every Animesh in my shop and will be sending updated versions to all of my customers in the very near future. I am also working with a scripter for the very best scripts. I'll talk to her for you. Fair warning, she charges but she's fair. We should get together in the future and do a little brainstorming for a future project. I'm always down for a collaboration. I'm busy right now with the Opensim Fest 2022. I have a ton of work to do before it starts the first week of July. But after that I'm game. There is so much more to learn and so much of it can be more innovative than it has been. TTYS
Because I am new to creating Animesh, how do you see land impact? I was very careful to build everything lightweight on my SIM, reusing textures and meshes, etc, I am still under 10,000 prim for my 16 regions, so I have room to play, but I love building and filling worlds. It started in the early 80s when I learned D&D and started making my own dungeon adventures. Since then, I have done a lot of "world-building". I am the author of the post-apocalyptic novel series Pandemic Dawn and created the world, events, and locations all from scratch for each of the novels. So I have always loved design and creation.

My ultimate goal is to create a SIM that is very interactive with NPCs, even giving reward-based missions and storytelling. In college, I studied programming and robotics, and I can see all of the tools needed to have an awesome and unique RPG system on Opensim are available, I just need to educate myself on how to have them all work together.
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website
Lunk Portal

Post by Lunk Portal »

I "right-clicked" my Animesh characters and it showed land impact, everything from 1 to 14 depending on how many clothes and items they were holding. So I guess that is good when compared to your statement (15-35). Here are the rest of my SIM stats as of today (6-9-2022) 6987 Objects, 60FPS, Occlusion Queries 3900/s, 656 Active Scripts, Script events 5eps, Frame Time 18ms.

I have no clue if any of this is good or bad, LOL...However, I am willing to adjust things to get the results I want. If you have ever visited TatooineRP you can see I have A LOT of buildings and decorations around, and I plan on having much more! That, mixed with great scripting for NPCs, I believe will make my SIM super unique and eventually a very enjoyable RPG for individuals as well as multiple players!

Any help with vending scripts that are menu-based would be great! I think I can get what I'm looking for by altering something that already exists.

THANKS EVERYONE
TatooineRP Region
TatooineRP Website