Scripts in My Suitcase not functioning normally on HG

Creating scripts
Ilan Tochner

Re: Scripts in My Suitcase not functioning normally on HG

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, please read Christine's comment and stop blaming Kitely for changes made to content that is modifiable by the grids you Hypergrid teleport into. If you're wearing something or it's in your My Suitcase folder then the grids you visit can delete it if they want. That's how the Hypergrid protocol works. If it didn't allow doing that then you wouldn't be able to manage your My Suitcase folder while you were visiting other grids and you wouldn't be able to change what you're wearing. My recommendation, again, is that when you teleport to other grids you keep a copy of anything you wear or place in your My Suitcase outside the My Suitcase folder as well.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Christine Nyn wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:00 pm
When you HG to Digiworldz the grid owner there disables any outgoing scripts which results in them being totally broken. If you HG into there with a scripted attachment and then return to Kitely the script will appear to be there but it is just an empty marker at that point and you would need to replace it with a good copy from your Kitely inventory.

Perhaps Alternate Metaverse is doing something similar? A quick check might be to to do a test HG to Discovery where i never have any problems HGing in and out.
I wasn't on Discovery grid. I have talked to Alternate Metaverses owner and she said she has not done anything. This also happened at Wyldwood Bayou grid and they also affirmed they do not do that to people. The script was visible on those grids, I had to recompile it there to get it to work again, and when I teleported back, it was missing from the database. This IS a KITELY PROBLEM. Ilan needs to get over his ego, once again, and dig into the code and figure out what is going on here. the script should not go missing from the kitely asset server, especially given the original copy is still there in a duplicate object in my regular objects folder.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, you said you needed to compile it to work in the grids you visited but I think you're not considering that when you did that it updated your avatar information on Kitely to reference a DLL file that doesn't exist on Kitely (the compiled script). That file only exists on the grid where you compiled the script on. Of course it wouldn't be found after that. This is an OpenSim Hypergrid issue, not a Kitely-specifc one. We're not going to spend time to try to fix it because, as I stated previously, even if we did create a patch for it, it would still take many months until that code was rolled out on other grids and the issue would remain until it was.

You should open an OpenSim Mantis for this issue if you want it to be fixed by the OpenSim developers team. Blaming us without understanding (or accepting) that the cause for the issue you encountered is outside our control isn't productive.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Chris Namaste
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:10 am
Mike, you said you needed to compile it to work in the grids you visited but I think you're not considering that when you did that it updated your avatar information on Kitely to reference a DLL file that doesn't exist on Kitely (the compiled script). That file only exists on the grid where you compiled the script on. Of course it wouldn't be found after that. This is an OpenSim Hypergrid issue, not a Kitely-specifc one. We're not going to spend time to try to fix it because, as I stated previously, even if we did create a patch for it, it would still take many months until that code was rolled out on other grids and the issue would remain until it was.

You should open an OpenSim Mantis for this issue if you want it to be fixed by the OpenSim developers team. Blaming us without understanding (or accepting) that the cause for the issue you encountered is outside our control isn't productive.
This is VERY ironic for you to make this claim, because I *ALSO* uploaded a mesh while on Wyldwood Bayou grid, and IT GOT PUT IN MY REGULAR OBJECTS FOLDER, not in the objects folder under My Suitcase (something I posted already on this forum in another topic, did you respond to that one differently from how you are responding here?). So if the other grid controls that, how did the other grid put the object into my supposedly "protected" regular Objects folder? It sounds to me like you don't know what you are talking about, or just don't want to actually deal with the issue.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, we use OpenSim, as do all the other OpenSim grids that you visit. Our system might save data in our own proprietary inventory system, instead of the one that OpenSim comes with, but the commands that arrive from the viewer and other grids for what should go where are handled by the same OpenSim code that is used by all other OpenSim grids that use the same OpenSim version that we do.

In other words, you can blame us as much as you like but that won't change the fact that both the issues you reported are OpenSim issues relating to how the Hypergrid protocol works and not Kitely-specific issues. As stated previously, while you're traveling to another grid, Kitely's OpenSim system does what that other grid's OpenSim system instructs it to do (using the Hypergrid protocol). The code that manages that on Kitely is the same code that handles Hypergrid commands in all other OpenSim grids.

You're a programmer, if you don't believe me then go look at the OpenSim code that handles Hypergrid access. OpenSim is open source and you'll be able to see that I'm not making any of this up.