Scripts in My Suitcase not functioning normally on HG

Creating scripts
Mike Lorrey

Scripts in My Suitcase not functioning normally on HG

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Today I moved my light saber to my suitcase folder, because despite being an attachment, the scripts did not operate when hypergridding. So I reattached them once moved to the My Suitcase>Objects folder. I then teleported to Alternate Metaverse grid and tried to operate them. Nothing. Detaching and reattaching did not start them working. I literally had to go in and open the script to edit it, delete an empty line to then save it so it recompiled, and then it would function. This is NOT proper behavior and makes content useless for others who do not have perms to edit content without full perms. When you teleport with an attachment across the hypergrid it should function regardless of permissions, or where in the inventory it is located. And yes, I was on land that allowed me to use scripts.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Scripts in My Suitcase not functioning normally on HG

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Mike,

IIRC OpenSim doesn't retain script state when objects are teleported between grids. Next, there are issues when teleporting between regions that use Xengine (such as Kitely) and ones that use Yengine. A combination of those things would explain the issue you encountered.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

This simply isn't true. When I teleported BACK to Kitely, the script ALSO stopped functioning. When I went to open the script, the viewer told me that the script was missing from the database. This has happened before on scripts in other attachments, particularly the particle system scripts in my droid body parts. This is NOT how OS is supposed to function and your asset system is borked.

When a script that is worn appears in a new region, it is supposed to retain state unless it is specifically scripted to reset itself (in which case it still retained its state until it reset itself). The script is absolutely NOT supposed to go missing from the database when you teleport home from the hypergrid wearing it.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, there is a difference between what happens when teleporting within the same system (i.e. grid) and when teleporting between different systems. IIRC, compiled script code isn't sent between grids because it would be a terrible security risk to do so. Instead script code is sent between the grids and is compiled locally on the grid it is rezzed on. As such, the script state is lost when teleporting between grids. This isn't a Kitely development, it's how Hypergrid was designed and how it was implemented in OpenSim.

If you have issues with how scripts work when Hypergrid traveling then you can file an OpenSim Mantis for it. If you think this is a Kitely-specific problem then try teleporting using the same running scripts with an OSgrid avatar between that grid and a different one that runs the standard OpenSim code.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:58 am
Mike, there is a difference between what happens when teleporting within the same system (i.e. grid) and when teleporting between different systems. IIRC, compiled script code isn't sent between grids because it would be a terrible security risk to do so. Instead script code is sent between the grids and is compiled locally on the grid it is rezzed on. As such, the script state is lost when teleporting between grids. This isn't a Kitely development, it's how Hypergrid was designed and how it was implemented in OpenSim.

If you have issues with how scripts work when Hypergrid traveling then you can file an OpenSim Mantis for it. If you think this is a Kitely-specific problem then try teleporting using the same running scripts with an OSgrid avatar between that grid and a different one that runs the standard OpenSim code.
Sorry but this is simply wrong. A script that I WROTE in kitely shouldn't need to be recompiled on another grid to run it there (the reset button, btw doesn't recompile it). More importantly, a script that SHOULD STILL BE ON KITELYs ASSET SERVER should not be deleted by returning to Kitely. Again, you have a SERIOUS problem that is DESTROYING PEOPLES CONTENT but you are too stubborn to dig into what is going on, once again.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Mike, we don't control what happens on other grids.

When you Hypergrid teleport to another grid your viewer connects to that grid's servers and that server queries our grid servers for some information (such as your user profile information, the part of the user's inventory which that grid is allowed to access, etc.). That third-party grid server then handles the replies from our own system using the OpenSim code that it is running (which is almost always standard OpenSim release code). It is that standard OpenSim code that defines what happens when you're connected to those third-party grids.

Even if we changed our own system to work differently from how standard OpenSim implements the Hypergrid protocol that would still not solve the problem you're encountering when you teleport to other grids. That's because those other grids would also need to make compatible changes on their own systems for the issue you encountered to be resolved.

I know you want to place the blame on us but it isn't our system that is forcing you to recompile scripts after they are teleported to another grid. It is by design of Crista Lopes, the woman who created the Hypergrid protocol. If you have issues with that basic part of how OpenSim works then write a Mantis ticket for it and explain why and how you think it should be changed. Just keep in mind that even if they change that code it will likely take many months or even years until every OpenSim grid updates to the next OpenSim release that includes it.
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:57 am
Mike, we don't control what happens on other grids.

When you Hypergrid teleport to another grid your viewer connects to that grid's servers and that server queries our grid servers for some information (such as your user profile information, the part of the user's inventory which that grid is allowed to access, etc.). That third-party grid server then handles the replies from our own system using the OpenSim code that it is running (which is almost always standard OpenSim release code). It is that standard OpenSim code that defines what happens when you're connected to those third-party grids.

Even if we changed our own system to work differently from how standard OpenSim implements the Hypergrid protocol that would still not solve the problem you're encountering when you teleport to other grids. That's because those other grids would also need to make compatible changes on their own systems for the issue you encountered to be resolved.

I know you want to place the blame on us but it isn't our system that is forcing you to recompile scripts after they are teleported to another grid. It is by design of Crista Lopes, the woman who created the Hypergrid protocol. If you have issues with that basic part of how OpenSim works then write a Mantis ticket for it and explain why and how you think it should be changed. Just keep in mind that even if they change that code it will likely take many months or even years until every OpenSim grid updates to the next OpenSim release that includes it.
This is not a problem of what happens on other grids. Its a problem of what happens when I return to this grid. The script disappears entirely. So the issue of it needing to be recompiled is an inconvenience that makes it difficult to use content interoperably, which is crappy and I'll talk to Crista about it, BUT the major show stopping peeve is that the script disappears entirely when I return to Kitely. My kitely content should not disappear from my kitely inventory just cause I went to another grid. This IS in fact, YOUR problem and you need to get over your ego about it.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

What you wear and the My Suitcase folder are the only folders that other grids have access to when you visit them. That is what protects the rest of your inventory while you're visiting other grids. But anything that you wear or you place in My Suitcase while traveling to other grids can be removed from those folders by those grids. Your My Suitcase folder is handled exactly like a suitcase that you check in at the airport. Things may be taken out of it by the people (and in this case grids) that handle your luggage while you are traveling. That is why it is highly recommend that you keep copies of what you place in those locations in other places outside your My suitcase folder as well.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Christine NynChris Namaste
Mike Lorrey

Post by Mike Lorrey »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:53 am
What you wear and the My Suitcase folder are the only folders that other grids have access to when you visit them. That is what protects the rest of your inventory while you're visiting other grids. But anything that you wear or you place in My Suitcase while traveling to other grids can be removed from those folders by those grids. Your My Suitcase folder is handled exactly like a suitcase that you check in at the airport. Things may be taken out of it by the people (and in this case grids) that handle your luggage while you are traveling. That is why it is highly recommend that you keep copies of what you place in those locations in other places outside your My suitcase folder as well.
Once again, NOBODY IS REMOVING THESE SCRIPTS. this is more bs excuse making. The script is in the contents of the objects still, it is when I get back to Kitely that they cannot be opened and the system says they are missing from the database. You are really starting to piss me off.
These users thanked the author Mike Lorrey for the post:
Christine Nyn
Christine Nyn

Post by Christine Nyn »

When you HG to Digiworldz the grid owner there disables any outgoing scripts which results in them being totally broken. If you HG into there with a scripted attachment and then return to Kitely the script will appear to be there but it is just an empty marker at that point and you would need to replace it with a good copy from your Kitely inventory.

Perhaps Alternate Metaverse is doing something similar? A quick check might be to to do a test HG to Discovery where i never have any problems HGing in and out.
These users thanked the author Christine Nyn for the post (total 4):
Chris NamasteIlan TochnerSkimi MissionTess Juel