NPC - Unknown User

Creating scripts
Dundridge Dreadlow

NPC - Unknown User

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

osNpcSay has an issue
It is used to allow NPCs to speak in local chat as if they were a normal avatar. Unfortunately, a significant percentage of the time, (ie, most of the time) the NPC speaks as if it had the name "Unknown User". I have my NPCs set to rez on CHANGED_REGION_START. Is there a workaround or fix for this problem ?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Oren Hurvitz

Re: NPC - Unknown User

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

There's a similar problem with Hypergrid, where users often appear as "Unknown User". This problem received a lot of attention in the last few months and there were a lot of fixes to it in OpenSim 0.7.6. I don't know if these fixes help only Hypergrid or other parts of OpenSim as well, but it's worth trying them. So hopefully after we upgrade to OpenSim 0.7.6 (which is our next priority) this problem will disappear, or at least become less frequent. If it doesn't then let us know and I'll see what I can do.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Dundridge Dreadlow

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it, and use a backup script for now :) Doing a LOT of NPC stuff :D
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

This now seems to be effecting every NPC. I am getting nothing but "Unknown User entered chat range" "Unknown User left chat range" and there's only me and NPCs
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Dundridge Dreadlow

This seems to be something to do with display names, or something odd viewer related.

Firestorm->prefs/general/view display names will show npcs as "Unknown User" when active, and with the expected (correct) name when inactive. Retrieving the NPCs displayname with llGetDisplayName returns the name the npc should have.

Unfortunately, NPC chat still displays on the viewer as "Unknown User".
Oddly enough, a scripted listener will pickup the correct name of the NPC.

for example

Code: Select all

[04:16] Unknown User: Just going about my daily routine.
[04:16] Scripted Listener whispers: Agent Davis (Falling Sky): Just going about my daily routine.
I was hoping to be able to detect it, and auto-restart the NPC or something. I've tried a variety of tricks, but it seems hit and miss to whether it works or not. I'm sure there are more tricks :)

Ah well, waiting for the next version :)
PS. Kitely is awesome.