SL Scripter comments, is this accurate

Creating scripts
Jean Swashbuckler

SL Scripter comments, is this accurate

Post by Jean Swashbuckler »

I am not a scripter but had this conversation with an SL scripter who also builds water vehicles. If you have thoughts on the SL's scripters thinking, they would be helpful.

Context: I wanted to see if a full perm water vehicle bought in SL could be brought over to Kitely so I could test sim crossings. The vehicle cost L$499.

When I found that this wouldn't work, I sent the av who created the vehicle a question asking if the same vehicle could be purchased but used in an OpenSim.

The av's response was "Due to OpenSims Scripting limitations the script may or may not work in that environment. I didn't sell that script as an exclusive so if you'd like one made for OpenSim it'll be L$5k."

I replied asking the av to help me understand what "scripting limitations in OpenSim meant."

The reply was "Not all commands and events have been implemented. Some functions may behave differently compared to SL. So essentially the script may or may not be copy/paste-able to opensim depending on how advanced they've improved the scripting language."

Two questions that I have.

First, is this accurate or is the av uninformed about the status of OpenSim scripting vs. SL?

Second, going back to the Kitely Advertising campaign to increase the number of creatives bringing content over to the Kitely market, will scripts be an issue?

Also, will animations face the same response?

On the plus side, I did purchase Boo Rojyo's "Personal Hover Vehicle" in the Kitely Market. My testing sim crossings was good. The only time I had rubber banding was when I was directly on the sim border going north to south or south to north and crossing an east to west border. This was in a 16 sim world. Boo's vehicle was an attached vehicle. I also like the auto replies through the purchasing process. What was unexpected but appreciated was Boo's thank you this morning.
These users thanked the author Jean Swashbuckler for the post:
Boo Rojyo
Constance Peregrine

Re: SL Scripter comments, is this accurate

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Boo is a nice guy, I knew him from another place also-))

I am not a tech/scriptor person and I imagine those will add comments eventually. But I do read of things to try and keep up with odds and ends.

OS is a evolving software, it grows due to several people contributing to it, such as Oren here...and one grid forked off at V6.5 and thus are not evolving with the rest of current OS dev work.

As well, different grids, both free opensim and commercial, use different versions...basically due to a lack of tech knowledge, or other factors.

So, to sum that up, some functions are available in some grids that other do not have, yet, you can see the next update to 76 coming here [and in many places already]:

http://justincc.org/blog/2013/10/04/ope ... -released/ and follow the links.

I do know that some SL folx are not fully aware of all OS is doing [not saying that one is, of course] or have kept up. 7.6 implements quite a few things, two of which are much improved TPs and a vast reduction in rubberbanding....aside from megas doing away with that latter issue altogether.

I also know that "some" tweaking is needed, sometimes, but when they do it, they then have a vast and growing customer base to sell to.

Altho it appears many ppl are leaving this vr stuff altogether, the bulk are moving out to opensim...ex: Educators and Artists...as we all know, SL is definitely declining in regions and concurrency, so seeing where those folks are going is important.

anywho, I am just rambling, mostly...
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Jean Swashbuckler
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Jean Swashbuckler

Actually, I find your "rambling" refreshing. I am a total newb re: OS. Just found it a little over a week ago looking for a non-SL solution. Found Kitely pretty quick have reading a lot of Metaverse Business articles. This forum, Ilan and Oren, convinced me to dip toe in water. Looks like it might be more than a toe.

Your posts have helped illuminate ideas, other questions, possible work arounds, and food for thought. They have personally helped me gain a better context on OS and Kitely. Thanks for your "rambling. " Also, thanks to everyone else that posts on this Forum. It is helpful in trying to catch up.
Constance Peregrine

you're very welcome-)) I just think it is a good idea for people to understand some basic stuff in all this, and fortunately the Owners here do not mind this, unlike some other grids forums, they see the "bigger picture", and are not selfishly, and incorrectly, trying to keep their residents eyes closed in many ways...

You are lucky, imo, you found Kitely-))

Ephemeral wanderer...
Sherrie Melody

Post by Sherrie Melody »

There are some differences between SL and OpenSim platforms in support for LSL functions. This page shows the current statuses of individual LSL functions: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Functions. (There are OpenSim only functions, that let you do things you can't do in SL. Those are here: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Category:OSSL_Functions)

If you have a script from SL and you find it doesn't work right out of the box on an OpenSim platform, it can probably be modified to work in OpenSim.

This may not have anything to do with your boat scripts, but ... There is also a difference in physics engines. If your boat is a physical object, it may be the physics that's causing the problems (though not necessarily). SL uses Havok. OpenSim historically has used ODE. I hear that Havok functions better than ODE. The good news is that there is a slick new "Bullet" engine that is this close [me holding thumb and forefinger really close together] to being production ready in OpenSim. Once that is made the default in a product-ready version of OpenSim and comes to Kitely, we should have lots and lots of fun with physical objects.

I do have a boat script that uses the LSL vehicle functions. You sit in the boat (not wear it) and then drive it and it does works.

I can take a look at your boat script if you like, see if maybe it could just be "tweaked" to work, or if you want I can dig out my boat script and give that to you.
These users thanked the author Sherrie Melody for the post:
Marstol Nitely
Constance Peregrine

just a footnote...

Bullet is a bit of dev work by an Intel guy [or guys and gals...dunno] and I am hearing it may be default in V8, which I also saw someplace is slated to be the next OS release by default.

I also saw someplace of other a sentence or two about some other engine that may be developed for the future...I won't be able to show ppl where I saw that tho and there may be more to that.

All of which adds to the evolving, and interesting development of OS.

And I remember I have a speedboat and mesh cars [FP of course and freely given] that work very well in Metropolis.

I suppose I could bring them here but it is probably better to give them to ppl in Metro if you make an account and IM me or otherwise get ahold of me. Then you could review the scripts yourself and pass them around.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 2):
Jean SwashbucklerMarstol Nitely

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

There are a few differences between the way scripts run on opensim and SL.
SOME of the script commands are not "fully implemented" or enabled, but that isn't going to cause most scripts any problems.
The way vehicles, (especially boats it seems) and physics objects are handled WILL cause issues if the script isn't designed for opensim. Physics is different to start with, scripting physics adds a layer of complexity on top of the difference.
The way the script is WRITTEN can cause issues, there are minor LANGUAGE differences between the two versions, SL allows scripters to get away with a lot more than they can with opensim scripts, which seems to be the main cause of "bad scripts".
Opensim has implemented a bunch of commands that do not run in SL.
Very generally speaking, a script written on opensim is more likely to run in SL than the other way round.

Or, if you like, lose pathfinding, gain NPCs.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineJean Swashbuckler
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Sherrie Melody wrote:I do have a boat script that uses the LSL vehicle functions. You sit in the boat (not wear it) and then drive it and it does works.
Are you selling your boat script Sherrie? If you are, I'd love to buy it. The only boat script I've found that works sinks my boats after I take a ride.
Jean Swashbuckler

Thanks Minethere, Sherrie, Dundridge, and Marstol!

These are very helpful and I have a much better perspective on OS and especially the Bullet engine. Sherrie and Minethere's comments on the new Physics engine added that to me list of things to look at downstream.

Dundridge, thank you for walking me through the differences. I have heard the comment about SL scripters pushing the limits on what they can get away with in some sailing and boating community discussions.

Many thanks for adding your perspectives.
These users thanked the author Jean Swashbuckler for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I have to say that my favourite scripting difference between SL and Kitely is the ability in OSSL to create rather than just read notecards.
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Constance Peregrine