Asset UUIDs and other grids

Creating scripts
Handy Low

Asset UUIDs and other grids

Post by Handy Low »

Hi, I'm new to Kitely, but I have a scripting business in SL (Handy's Tools) and I'm tentatively dipping my toes into selling in Kitely too.

My question is this. Some of my products include selections of textures, which are set in the scripts by hard-coding the UUIDs of the textures. Obviously, for these to work on the Kitely grid I have to modify the code with the new UUIDs the textures have - I'm not aware of any way of reusing the SL UUIDs.

But what about if someone buys a product like that for another grid? The textures aren't even going to exist on the target grid's asset server, still less have the same UUIDs (I presume?). Has anyone found an approach that would make this possible without distributing the texture files themselves?
Handy Low
Constance Peregrine

Re: Asset UUIDs and other grids

Post by Constance Peregrine »

just wanted to say, Welcome-))
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Handy Low
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Minethere Always wrote:just wanted to say, Welcome-))
Thank you!
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Handy Low
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Somehow I missed this thread:

http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 9&start=10

where Oren says "it's perfectly valid to refer to assets from scripts by referring to inventory items. And that's better than hard-coding UUID's, because UUID's will not work if the item is Exported to another grid, but references to inventory items will continue to work."

So essentially, most of my scripts won't work on other grids because of that, unless there's some mechanism for customers to transfer assets between grids while retaining their UUIDs.
Handy Low
Constance Peregrine

I'm not sure why nobody has answered your particular question yet, but I know they will, and I suspect it will be quite helpful too.

There has been that discussion on it, a specific issue, and others, I think, which touched on it.

I just try to sell some terrains occasionally, so I have no clue.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Handy Low

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Hard coded UUIDs are exported in OAR files, all you need to do is refer to a UUID and it will find the associated texture/sound and export it if you have the permissions to do so. Loading an OAR externally "uploads" the sound/textures with the same UUID they had previously on Kitely. I was actually pretty surprised when I found this out when testing a while back.

Kitely market uses a (sightly?) different technology to do virtually the same thing. It probably shares a lot of code with the OAR export, but I can't tell from here :) When placing an item on the market, it fully checks any UUIDs stored to make sure they exist to highlight any potential problems with delivery and incompletely textured objects. If the behaviour is the same as OARs, it will simplify the process, but until it is fully ready to go and tested this cannot be depended on.

Of course, the remote grid cannot access the Kitely asset servers, and any textures/sounds not exported with the objects will be unavailable. Any assets referred to externally will of course not be exported. I know I am going to have a lot more problems with this than most people and have had to develop a fall back technology for textures. (Sounds.. not so much)

Hopefully Oren will be able to give a final word and clear this up fully at a later point, probably when delivery to other grids goes live :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Yes, I'm very glad the OAR files keep the existing UUIDs - it made moving my personal stuff between grids a lot easier - I had about a dozen regions full of stuff on OSGrid that I moved into my private grid a few years ago, and it was good to see everything just slot into place on the new grid. Well, except for all the stuff that got lost in transit, that is ...
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Handy Low
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Welcome to Kitely, Handy! Ironically I was only recently looking at your website, and wondering if you might ever decide to expand into the OpenSim community.
I'm so pleased to learn that you are looking into it.

Regarding your specific questions, I really can't help you. The scripted objects I have sold don't change textures so this hasn't been an issue for me. I do hope
you are able to work out your texture reference issues and begin to offer your products for sale here in Kitely and on the Kitely Market. I'm certain they would do
well. :)
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post:
Handy Low
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

When an item is transferred to another grid using Hypergrid, the HG mechanism automatically finds all the assets used by that item and copies them as well. So if you have references to textures, even by UUID, those textures will be copied to the other grid. I can't test this right now because Kitely doesn't use HG yet, but from reading the OpenSim code it looks like this is what should happen. This also means that my comment in that other thread about UUID's not working in other grids wasn't quite accurate: it depends on how the item is transferred. If it's transferred using HG then I think that the UUID's will continue to work.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 2):
Dundridge DreadlowHandy Low
Constance Peregrine

Oren Hurvitz wrote:When an item is transferred to another grid using Hypergrid, the HG mechanism automatically finds all the assets used by that item and copies them as well. So if you have references to textures, even by UUID, those textures will be copied to the other grid. I can't test this right now because Kitely doesn't use HG yet, but from reading the OpenSim code it looks like this is what should happen. This also means that my comment in that other thread about UUID's not working in other grids wasn't quite accurate: it depends on how the item is transferred. If it's transferred using HG then I think that the UUID's will continue to work.
I think this is basically how it works, but, not being much of a technical person, I can't say, other than when I HG "most" of the time everything comes with me...much of it seems to depend on what version of OS the tp'ed to grid runs. As in, sometimes textures will go white and such...sometimes they will go white, then a rebake helps...and then, of course, sometimes HG does not work at all...the net is a fickle beast-))

But it seems in 76 a lot of work was done on optimizing HG travel for which Kitely will benefit.

Ephemeral wanderer...