llSetKeyframedMotion

Creating scripts
Graham Mills

llSetKeyframedMotion

Post by Graham Mills »

I didn't know this worked in OpenSim as it's not listed as available in the Kokua editor. I believe the implementation differs from SL but I'm still impressed by the smooth movement so far. I think it could be very useful but does anyone know whether it has significant lag issues?
Last edited by Graham Mills on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dundridge Dreadlow

Re: llSetKeyframedAnimation

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

theoretically there should be few lag issues..
keyframed animations are generally downloaded and played back client side.

But I haven't played with it here :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

Heh, I should point out that I discovered this BEFORE it got blogged by Kitely. Coincidence or morphic resonance, the choice is yours. :D
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

I am finding a problem with objects animated in this way, namely that they tend to disappear between restarts! It's not entirely reproducible; waiting 5 min doesn't seem to cause the problem but waiting, say, 12 h does. I have seen it on two restarts now, once with one animated object (a tray with flasks in a shaking incubator) and once with two similarly animated objects. There wasn't any special code to stop/restart animations. Anyone else seen this?
These users thanked the author Graham Mills for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I'm gonna need to play with this aren't I...

Is the object: Underground nearby(ish), in the sky above, at 0,0,0, linked, on a megaregion... Suggest scanning for (scripted) objects from the region tools. I've had objects vanish without trace before (not recently) when I was doing a physics boat a couple months back. I never did find it to finish it...

You could add code to return the object to the right position on region restart.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Graham Mills

Re: llSetKeyframedMotion

Post by Graham Mills »

They are on a megaregion though none of the other issues seem to apply. I've now put a couple of animated objects on a fresh single region world to make it easier to hunt them down though my guess would be that relocation is not the issue. I can now say that they persist on the megaregion for at least 10 min but disappear beyond an hour (based on a single observation admittedly). It doesn't seem especially likely but I can't rule out a viewer side-effect as I've only tried Kokua so far. (update: also in Lumiya which does incidentally play these animations).

On reflection I suppose relocation is the most likely explanation -- otherwise you're looking at improbably strange things going on in the cloud or viewer. Of course, that could be a function of the Kitely post-update "temporary hack"?

NB changed title to correct function name.

Time course 1 (single region)
30 min in the new region: all well (and motion persisting across restarts consistent with it being a property of the object)
70 min still OK (beginning to look like it's megaregion-related)

Time course 2 (megaregion)
7 min: animated objects lost from NE and NW regions; same object persists in SE and SW -- no evidence of missing objects in region search
13 min: now missing from SE as well; only SW copy remains

It's possible, of course, that there is something weird about this particular world. It does happen...
Dundridge Dreadlow wrote:I'm gonna need to play with this aren't I...

Is the object: Underground nearby(ish), in the sky above, at 0,0,0, linked, on a megaregion... Suggest scanning for (scripted) objects from the region tools. I've had objects vanish without trace before (not recently) when I was doing a physics boat a couple months back. I never did find it to finish it...

You could add code to return the object to the right position on region restart.
Graham Mills

Re: llSetKeyframedMotion

Post by Graham Mills »

OK, so my best guess is that loss of animated content is mostly an issue, i.e. quite rapid, in the northern regions of a 4x4 and to a lesser extent the SE region although ultimately it happens there too. The SW region looks to be by far the safest (probably 100%). As far as I can tell, single regions are OK and with megaregions the loss only occurs if the animation is in effect. Where the objects go to (if anywhere) is unknown as they don't show up in area search. Exporting single regions with animations seems to work with animations persisting during export and import. Generally animation persistence doesn't seem to be 100% reliable although this might sometimes come down to its being slow to restart. YMMV ;)

Of course, hopefully this will be a temporary glitch with what promises to be a really useful feature.
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Hi Graham,

My guess is that the most likely explanation is that the movement algorithm has a bug and the object is moved somewhere it can't be seen.

In order to test this, I'd like you to reproduce the problem. Then please let me know the world where this happened; the name of the object; and the rough location where it was originally situated (at least the region). I will check in the database to see if the object still exists, and its location.

Thanks,
Oren
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Never mind, I was able to reproduce the problem. We'll have a solution for the next update.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 5):
Dot MatrixConstance PeregrineDundridge DreadlowGraham MillsButterfly Kisses
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

This bug was fixed in today's update.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineGraham MillsDundridge Dreadlow