Free Animations

Creating animations
Shandon Loring

Re: Free Animations

Post by Shandon Loring »

Are the ones at animstreet the same as the ones listed earlier in this thread at the Carnegie-Mellon Graphics Lab Motion Capture Database?
the structure of the directory appears very similar.
https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/ ... authuser=0

The CMG ones appear to upload/import to Kitely fine...
on viewer:
Build>Upload>Animation>[select local .bvh file]>Open>[adjust parameters if you want to]>Upload

I'm sure you've got it all worked out, but holler if I can be of assistance, I do have ALL the CMG files downloaded.

cheers!
Vixy Sharpfang

Post by Vixy Sharpfang »

Hai Shandon!

I was told by my friends that there is a size cap for uploads. Something like 512 kbyte.
So it really depends on the size of the animation. The once I tested were all 700kbyte + in size.
Or if somebody knows how to cut the animations into sized bits and then glue them back together later on.
Because for the life of me, I sat on it with those two that mentioned the size limitation, and we didn't find a way or tool to slice the animation into pieces.
They are sort-of text files. Can they be separated - but how then does one glue them back together inside OpenSim?

Nomnom!
Vixy
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Hi Vixy,
(you are unzipping the files after downloading, yes?)
Firestorm Viewer reports that the maximum run length of an animation allowed to be uploaded is 60 seconds.
Which translates to about 9,030kb file size.

I tested this out with the CMU collection, and..
31_04.bvh is 8,980kb, i.e. 59.9 seconds long, and uploads ok
40_05.bvh is 9,088kb, i.e. 60.2 seconds long, and does not upload

Here is a quick video of the process I use to upload the animations from CMU. In this video I have the list of the animation names open on the right side of my screen so I can name the animations correctly as I upload them.
(Kinda cludgy at moment, but pretty sure I can automate this a bit with a batch file)

Build>Upload>Animation>[select local .bvh file]>Open>Copy/Paste Name From List>Upload

Here is video link of a sample upload:
https://youtu.be/ajCFlpmQDRk

It occurs to me that if there is Community interest we could enlist a bunch of volunteers to upload a section each of the CMU animations and then put them all in one collection available inworld or on Kitely Market. There are a total of 2,243 animations, broken into 135 separate sets. I have upload Set #1 so far.. lol.. which if anyone wants it let me know and I'll hand it to you.

(i will attempt automating the process and get these all uploaded. if successful I will make them available to everybody. anyone know how to bulk upload animations??)

An easy place to see a list and description of the CMU animations is:
https://www.outworldz.com/Secondlife/Posts/CMU/

ps if anyone goes about grabbing all the files be sure you get the 2010 list instead of the 2008 list
https://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/ ... e-database

pps if anyone sees something goofy about my thought process here, like for example these things are already available in world somewhere! LoL… Please please let me know.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Chris Namaste
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

UPDATE:
I have the automated process started to upload all 2000+ animations. Will post here when they’re done.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Chris NamasteVixy Sharpfang
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Shandon,

Please don't put all the animations into one Kitely Market product. That will likely cause many transfer timeout problems when delivering them to other grids which will end up costing me a lot of time providing customer support for desatisfiied customers and Kitely a lot of money on redelivery attempts.

Please split these animations into chunks of no more than 25MB per product listing to minimize that problem, adding them to the listing separately and not inside fatpack boxes that require a complete redelivery if it times out. We've seen some popular grids timeout transfer attempts lately so this is not just a theatrical problem.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Tess JuelShandon Loring
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am
Please don't put all the animations into one Kitely Market product. That will likely cause many transfer timeout problems when delivering them to other grids which will end up costing me a lot of time providing customer support for desatisfiied customers and Kitely a lot of money on redelivery attempts.
This is off topic but since you mention it, do you have any guidelines how many items it's safe to include in a single KM listing?
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Shandon Loring
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess,

It's not so much a function of the number of items as it is the storage sizes of the assets that the product contains and how they are packaged. If items are added to the marketplace unboxed then they can be transferred to other grids separately, which greatly reduced the likelihood of these transfers timeing out. If, however, you box the items together then you are in effect creating one big asset that our system needs to transfer in one operation. The bigger the asset that needs to be transferred the more likely the transfer will time out.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Tess JuelVixy SharpfangShandon LoringChris Namaste
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Thank you Ilan, helpful thoughts,
I’m just thrilled my little batch process actually works!
It’s a little fiddly and I’ll be doing in my off hours. But it seems to go pretty well.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 2):
Chris NamasteVixy Sharpfang
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

All are uploaded.. with a few small caveats.. if anyone wants to check them out give a holler here or inworld...
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post:
Chris Namaste
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:34 am
Hi Shandon,
Please split these animations into chunks of no more than 25MB per product listing to minimize that problem, adding them to the listing separately and not inside fatpack boxes that require a complete redelivery if it times out.
Sounds good Ilan, thank you for explaining.
Would it be a good approach to have a single Product Listing with lots of variations, each variation being a separate pack of animations from the complete set? (each <25mb of course)
If so.. how many variations are allowed for a single product listing?

danke