Sounds

Creating sounds and music
Ilan Tochner

Re: Sounds

Post by Ilan Tochner »

On Kitely there are actually several significant performance benefits that you'll get when using a v3 viewer such as Firestorm instead of a v1 viewer such as Imprudence. We developed our own cloud-based assets and inventory systems which require HTTP textures and HTTP inventory to be enabled on the viewer. Impudence, unfortunately, doesn't support HTTP redirect commands so it receives only limited benefit from these two performance-enhancing systems.
Dinero Outlander

Post by Dinero Outlander »

Ilan Tochner wrote:On Kitely there are actually several significant performance benefits that you'll get when using a v3 viewer such as Firestorm instead of a v1 viewer such as Imprudence. We developed our own cloud-based assets and inventory systems which require HTTP textures and HTTP inventory to be enabled on the viewer. Impudence, unfortunately, doesn't support HTTP redirect commands so it receives only limited benefit from these two performance-enhancing systems.
Yes that is quite correct, Firestorm performance is considerably better in Kitely than in SL actually.
I was quite surprised, that it didnt lag me like drowning in a pool of quicksand.

It was not a complaint it was agreeing that's why the search didn't work. The feature doesn't function with Imprudence in Kitely. Image

However Firestorm does not support import/export to the degree that Imprudence or Phoenix does.Since I amusually importing scripts sounds and objects my choices are limited to those two.

And speaking for my self, I just plain get better stability and response time on my PC from Phoenix version 1.5.2.1050 than out of any other viewer, that I have tried.
"I have often regretted my words, but never my silence."
"Talking comes by nature, Silence by wisdom." -Unknown
Bladyblue Bommerang

Post by Bladyblue Bommerang »

Ilan Tochner wrote:On Kitely there are actually several significant performance benefits that you'll get when using a v3 viewer such as Firestorm instead of a v1 viewer such as Imprudence.
Are there any others we can add to the list that are v3 and work well here?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Blady,

The Kitely Plugin currently supports the viewers listed here: http://www.kitely.com/startviewers

That said, the latest versions of some of these v3 viewers may incorporate the changes Linden Lab made that disable compatibility with OpenSim-based grids. If that's the case, you'll need to check their site to see if they provide OpenSim-compatible versions such as the one that the Firestorm team provides.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Jon Bauer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jon Bauer »

I have been recording sound clips from my RL musical instruments, specifically drums and flutes. In addition, I have been building virtual versions in Kitely. What I would like to know is, how long can a sound file be? I am considering both "Touch for sound" and Sound loop options. The latest instrument is a gong, by the way. Sometimes a single beat on the gong will generate a sound lasting over ten seconds.
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

hi Jon

10 seconds is the maximum clip length.
I doubt the viewer will let you upload a longer one.

There are some scripts that will play a number of sound clips in succession, and supposedly allow playing a full length tune, I don't know how good they are.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Hey Jon...

you might try this one...sounds no longer than the 10 second thing but it plays any in there in several ways and u can mod the script to suit u....so u could do the gong sound like naming it gong1 and gong2 and such...ymmv

http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 578#p11578
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Paul Wilson

Post by Paul Wilson »

Would it be possible to use media on a prim to play a sound over the internet?
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

probably could use media on a prim. I don't know exactly how.
people would usually use streaming from a server for whole tunes.
Services like Icecast cover that.
And in the forum recently we've seen realchat mentoned http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 473#p11473

But if one can play mp3 soundclips from servers it seems a logical possibility.
Last edited by Keith Selmes on Fri May 30, 2014 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I use it to play YouTube videos, which is sound and video and to display websites containing other types of video and/or sound. So I'd say yes. You have to be able to use whatever is being used to display (play) it installed on your computer and it has to work with whatever viewer you are using. I have to update my Flash plugin from time to time when my display stops working.

One limitation is that if there are two or more people listening, they may be at different points in the music, depending on when it started streaming on their viewer. Maybe there is a script that helps with that? Otherwise, you load your MOAP "texture" from whatever webpage you want to stream. I've also used it with Pandora and some other streaming services, but it's been more than a year, so I'm not sure if those still work. I don't think I've used it with html 5, so I'm not sure if that works as well as Flash.