Cloudy Avatar Fixes When Rebaking Doesn't Work

Creating avatar shapes, hair, skin, eyes, etc.
Miriam Zhivago

Cloudy Avatar Fixes When Rebaking Doesn't Work

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

Tonight Ilan noticed my AV was clouding while helping me with another issue inworld. He gave me the link to a web site which, helped a great deal. I used advice from this very helpful article with good success tonight, but made a couple of small changes which, worked even better. Also, I have a neat little simple and easy trick I accidentally discovered in recent months when I was having so much trouble with my AV clouding. Both Ilan and the web article, "Cloud Avatars in OpenSim, Possible Problem and How it Can Be Fixed," on Metaverse4me.wordpress.com did a great job of explaining why avatars can cloud up, especially when using multiple viewers. Whatever the reason for your avatar clouding, one of the following might be helpful.

Fix No. 1> As Suggested on the Web Site, but with a Couple of Changes

I only changed a couple of things here. What I did was created a new folder as was suggested, but I also created two subfolders. I titled the main one, "Uncloud Avatar." The first subfolder received the name, "New AV (Cloud Fix). The second, "Miriam AV I," which is the name of my favorite avatar I wear most of the time. To the first subfolder I added the components mentioned in the article for the new av, that being new shape, skin, hair, and eyes. To the second subfolder I added all of my favorite av body parts along with one of my favorite outfits including all accessories for it for her. I also titled the main subfolder in a way that it is in a prominent position in my body parts folder. Often I will use "A/," or "!A/" in front of a priority folder title to cause it to appear at the top of a folder section, RE: Body Parts, in which I have lots of folders.

My reason for adding the two subfolders is that I found myself with a basic naked avatar when I clicked on the new avatar folder to replace the current outfit as suggested in the article. I then had to search for my av folder, then the clothes folder, the jewelry folder and so on. With the three folders everything is in one place. Now when my av clouds, I simply click the main folder, then the new av folder and replace current outfit. Next I click my favorite av folder which, is there beneath the new av folder and then on replace current outfit. Tada! My av is back to herself and dressed almost instantly.

Fix No. 2>

This one is quick and easy enough, but it does not work all of the time. It works very well with the Imprudence viewer, but not usually with Firestorm. Sometimes it works with Singularity. I simply attach an item to my avatar. For me, it is usually one of my wearable vehicles I created. Then I log out of my viewer and back in. Once back inworld I can see the vehicle, which I may or may not have been able to see when I attached it before logging out, as well as my complete avatar. Then I simply detach the wearable item. That's it! :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Miriam Zhivago for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerDot Matrix
Dot Matrix

Re: Cloudy Avatar Fixes When Rebaking Doesn't Work

Post by Dot Matrix »

Thanks, Miriam, for this useful advice. :)

In case it helps, here's a direct link to the article mentioned above:
https://metaverse4me.wordpress.com/2012 ... -be-fixed/
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post:
Miriam Zhivago
Roswenthe Blackwell

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

Another tip is to just change your hairbase or shape. Usually the problem is the hairbase, and changing that will fix it, but once in a while, the shape will be the key.
These users thanked the author Roswenthe Blackwell for the post:
Miriam Zhivago
Miriam Zhivago

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

Thx Dot! ;)
Miriam Zhivago

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

Thx Roswenthe. I'll check that out next time. ;)