Jagged Avatar Shapes

Creating avatar shapes, hair, skin, eyes, etc.
Sierra Jakob

Jagged Avatar Shapes

Post by Sierra Jakob »

I've been creating a few avatar shapes in Kitely. I'm noticing that sometimes the shapes -especially close-ups for the faces--are not smooth edged. It's rather disconcerting. I have my graphics turned up to ultra already. Any ideas why this is sometimes occurring? It's difficult to design, since I cannot really tell what others will actually be seeing. Insights would be helpful. Thanks!
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Ada Radius

Re: Jagged Avatar Shapes

Post by Ada Radius »

Avatars do look different, and show flaws more easily in OS, my opinion. But I'm getting used to it. The viewer makes a difference, also setting anti-aliasing as high as your RAM and graphics card will handle. I think Dolphin (only DolphinViewer3-i686-Windows-3.3.24.24816 and earlier are OS compatible) looks better than FS, but FS is easier for making a bunch of 1600x1200 snaps.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Sierra Jakob
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hi Ada,

I noticed this effect in SL too, especially around the nose and upper lip area under certain lighting conditions. I found turning shadows off helped somewhat. I think default avatars in general are really beginning to show their age now.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Sierra Jakob
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Thanks Ada and Ozwell. Both of your comments have helped me. :)
These users thanked the author Sierra Jakob for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Amiryu Hosoi

Post by Amiryu Hosoi »

Hey Ozwell,

am I wrong or is Sierra talking about shapes she defined herself? And turning off shadow... is that an option? I think not;-)

Ami
Now delivering to hypergrid http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2570982
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

default lighting in Kitley is super-harsh overhead direct sunlight.

It isn't kind to avatars.
Especially with shadows enabled.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hey Ami,

Yes, I agree I would never turn off shadows in general, but in certain lighting conditions your not left with a lot of other options if the effect really bothers you.

By default avatars I meant more properly "system avatars". All shapes are based off the default avi bone structure (which is awful!) and limited to the shape sliders. I remember reading a lot of threads on the SL forum about "Avi 2.0", basically the idea of introducing a totally revamped default avatar. People obviously were worried that this would break all the millions of existing bits of content, but I think so long as it was optional and you could somehow switch between your old avi and your new one, it wouldn't be such a bad idea. This has sort of half-happened with new mesh avatars.
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Ami and Ozwell, I was only talking about avatars I made using the system sliders--not imported mesh avatars. And I usually keep shadows turned on at all times, but it doesn't improve this jagged affect I'm talking about either on or off. The jagged affect just happens on some days when I log in--I've heard this from others also. On those days, the AV's just look super bad, and there's just nothing I can do. If I wait a day or two, they look good again. I haven't located the problem yet. If I understood what Dundridge said to me the other day I think he said it was probably my user-side rendering. But I'm using a nice computer with plenty of memory and a good graphics card with uptodate driver and a recent firestorm viewer, so I'm a little skeptical on that. But then again, I probably didn't properly understand. lol.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

Please make sure that your viewer Antialiasing is set to at least "2x" (higher values will have less jaggies but will result in slower Viewer FPS).

To set antialiasing go to Preferences > Graphics > Hardware Settings.

As a side note, the simulator doesn't do any rendering, it sends textures, prim and geometry data to the viewer which then renders it. Once the simulator sends all the scene information to the viewer there is nothing more that it can do to change how things look in your viewer.
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Hi Sierra,

I've been experiencing intermittent rending problems myself, although in my case the problem is with the shirts I am creating to sell on OpenSim. My problems have only been happening for the past week or so, that's why I didn't make the possible connection between our problems until today. Here is the thread:

http://www.kitely.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=980

The next time this happens to me I will take off the shirt and see if the avatar is also warped. It never occurred to me to check that before.

Of course it's entirely possible that our two problems are not related to each other. But we are both experiencing intermittent problems with aspects of our avatars rendering in-world, so there is at least a possibility they are related.

I will report back with my findings once I try the "no shirt" trick. I will also check my "Anti-aliasing" setting the next time I'm in world.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782