Question About Mesh Avatars

Creating avatar shapes, hair, skin, eyes, etc.
Koshari Mahana

Question About Mesh Avatars

Post by Koshari Mahana »

I'm am really clueless about mesh avatars. Is it possible to buy and use avatars from a site like this? What would the requirements for opensim be in order to have these work?

https://sketchfab.com/store/3d-models/c ... -creatures

I'm asking because I want to use one of them for a video I'd like to make. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer my questions or point me to an article.
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post:
Ilan Tochner
VISIT FOUR WINDS ON THE MARKET
VISIT FOUR WINDS INWORLD: hop://grid.kitely.com:8002/Coopersville/909/907/21
Zed deTremont

Re: Question About Mesh Avatars

Post by Zed deTremont »

Hello Koshari,
I'm afraid this gonna be a rather disappointing answer for you. Most of those sites forbid the importation to at least second life I do not know if this includes OpenSim also. But I wouldn't be wondered at all. Of course I do know that it's regularly done. Secondly you'll have a mesh avatar but to be working in any grid it has to be rigged to the bones of virtual worlds and you can bet on it that this is not done.
Sorry
These users thanked the author Zed deTremont for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerKoshari MahanaChris Namaste
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

If licensing is OK for importing to an OS grid (SL usually excluded, because of its TOS), the model has to be, usually, retopologized to make it suitable for skinning and vertex weighting. In English: remodeled so that it has evenly distributed vertices arranged in evenly spaced loops. Then it has to be 'skinned' AKA parented, or attached to the OS avatar armature, and vertex weights painted so that the body moves reasonably accurately with the armature. If the armature needs to be modified - for an unusual mesh body shape that's too far from the default avatar shape - then you'll also need custom animations. You'll also need to take into consideration UV mapping (how a texture is mapped to the mesh) and materials - you get up to 8 faces per mesh object inworld.
All doable, but it's a fair amount of work.
Ada

Koshari Mahana wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 pm
I'm am really clueless about mesh avatars. Is it possible to buy and use avatars from a site like this? What would the requirements for opensim be in order to have these work?

https://sketchfab.com/store/3d-models/c ... -creatures

I'm asking because I want to use one of them for a video I'd like to make. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer my questions or point me to an article.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerKoshari MahanaChris Namaste
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Thank you Zed and Ada,

That sounds like a whole lot of work and its way over my head. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I think I'll have to forget this idea, too bad though because I really wanted to make a video with one of them.
Zed deTremont

Post by Zed deTremont »

Forgot that you might run into the retopology too depending the model as Ada rightfully mentioned. Just for whomever might be interested after. There's a neath free program to model a character.

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... loads.html

I do not say it's perfect and above mentioned rules still will apply, at least the last time I looked at it. Since it's open source I've got no idea what they been adding. Making avi's/characters is really not my speciality. Say already years I should have a decent look to it but there is always something else to do.
These users thanked the author Zed deTremont for the post:
Koshari Mahana
Zed deTremont

Post by Zed deTremont »

Oops sorry for getting this longer seems to be a bento rig plugin now
Gregg Legendary

Post by Gregg Legendary »

So to cut to the chase many of us need... where can we find or purchase a legal rigged male and female avatar we can manipulate in blender and photoshop without disturbing the rigging?
These users thanked the author Gregg Legendary for the post (total 2):
Chris NamasteKoshari Mahana
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Gregg Legendary wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:03 am
So to cut to the chase many of us need... where can we find or purchase a legal rigged male and female avatar we can manipulate in blender and photoshop without disturbing the rigging?
Opensim and Second Life use a different avatar rig than other 3D environments so I'm afraid you will have to "disturb the rigging" no matter where you get the mesh from.
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Koshari Mahana
Chris Namaste

Post by Chris Namaste »

all i know, is that those i bought from underground work well (ive put them in kitely years ago),
so i donno, with all the changes,if it still works to upload them (much clothing etc i try to upload give 'verticle' etc errors - dont botter to try to teach me i can't figur e it out) :roll:

i'm really not talented at this, i got other talents :D

i wonder where some pple do get them, since we see several in kitely market, :?:
and no third party mentioned

is why i was SO happy underground arrived to kitely! since the owners upload their meshes !
i hope they bring much more in here for us ;)
These users thanked the author Chris Namaste for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerKoshari MahanaGregg Legendary
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Koshari Mahana

Post by Koshari Mahana »

Hi Chris, I don't know who Underground is. Is that the name of their store?
Chris Namaste wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:46 pm
is why i was SO happy underground arrived to kitely! since the owners upload their meshes !
i hope they bring much more in here for us ;)
These users thanked the author Koshari Mahana for the post:
Chris Namaste