Bento Hands

Creating avatar shapes, hair, skin, eyes, etc.
Gusher Castaignede

Bento Hands

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

Am interested to know more about bento hands. These are only for bento avatars or can they be used on classic avatars too? I see two terms floating around, mesh bodies and bento.. are they both the same?
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerAda Radius
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Ada Radius

Re: Bento Hands

Post by Ada Radius »

At least for now the Bento bones- hands and face - can only be used with mesh attachments. The default or system avatar uses morphs inworld, for expressions, hand positions, some basic animations, and the Appearance sliders. Those morphs are defined in the *.llm and avatar_lad.xml files in the viewer, and are over a decade old. :( A few of us are working, off and on, on improvements to the viewer/Character files, though most viewer devs won't budge on improvements unless SL does it first.

There are Bento hand HUDs available - I think there's still a free one at the Ruth and Roth OSgrid world, it works OK, and I've seen others, though I'm not sure if they're legal in OS or ripped off from SL. A nice one should do well at Kitely Market.

Same situation for the Bento face bones.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

I see now, my concern is that when importing .anim poses with hand animations they don't translate for the classic avatar, so does that mean I need the bento avatar? Otherwise, would I need to define morphs for the hands separately? Which approach would you suggest? Also, do you know of a good bvh exporter addon for blender exclusive for SL/OPENSIM?
Ada Radius wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:13 pm
At least for now the Bento bones- hands and face - can only be used with mesh attachments. The default or system avatar uses morphs inworld, for expressions, hand positions, some basic animations, and the Appearance sliders. Those morphs are defined in the *.llm and avatar_lad.xml files in the viewer, and are over a decade old. :( A few of us are working, off and on, on improvements to the viewer/Character files, though most viewer devs won't budge on improvements unless SL does it first.

There are Bento hand HUDs available - I think there's still a free one at the Ruth and Roth OSgrid world, it works OK, and I've seen others, though I'm not sure if they're legal in OS or ripped off from SL. A nice one should do well at Kitely Market.

Same situation for the Bento face bones.
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

Hi, are the animations for an avatar or animesh? If it's for an avatar, you can use a bento hand pose HUD. I'll send you one. If it's for animesh, you can create the animesh figure with a frozen hand pose before importing. it all looks pretty natural.
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post (total 2):
Gusher CastaignedeAda Radius
I'm obsessed with Animesh and soon you will be too!
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

I sent you the HUD, check for it in inventory. Cheers
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

I think you said you use Bento Buddy. It has a good BVH animation system. Check the videos on youtube
Gusher Castaignede

Currently working with classic avatar. Bento hand pose work with classic avatar too or I need to use a bento avatar? Still learning this stuff... btw, thanks for the bento hand pose hud, will study it...
Kimm Starr wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:34 pm
Hi, are the animations for an avatar or animesh? If it's for an avatar, you can use a bento hand pose HUD. I'll send you one. If it's for animesh, you can create the animesh figure with a frozen hand pose before importing. it all looks pretty natural.
These users thanked the author Gusher Castaignede for the post:
Ada Radius
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

There is a list of the internal animations here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Internal_Animations and I put a HUD up for the face expressions at the Kitely Starter Avatars world last year. I'm not really a scripter, I took that one from one of the SL freebies and reworked it to make it easier to use. We really need more of those HUDS, for the rest of the internal animations. But they don't work with mesh attachments or animesh.
Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:05 pm
I see now, my concern is that when importing .anim poses with hand animations they don't translate for the classic avatar, so does that mean I need the bento avatar? Otherwise, would I need to define morphs for the hands separately? Which approach would you suggest? Also, do you know of a good bvh exporter addon for blender exclusive for SL/OPENSIM?
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post:
Gusher Castaignede
Gusher Castaignede

..the scattered branded mesh bodies will just make things harder for average users.. seriously, ruth and roth is best way to go...

Ada Radius wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:50 pm
There is a list of the internal animations here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Internal_Animations and I put a HUD up for the face expressions at the Kitely Starter Avatars world last year. I'm not really a scripter, I took that one from one of the SL freebies and reworked it to make it easier to use. We really need more of those HUDS, for the rest of the internal animations. But they don't work with mesh attachments or animesh.
Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:05 pm
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Thank you! And I am also working on R3, which will be the first major upgrade to Ruth and Roth. A new build, actually. I have no idea how long it's going to take; I'm working with Kayaker Magic and Owl Eyes on the criteria, so we could also use it in a viewer as a default avatar. Eventually.
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 3):
Gusher CastaignedeDot MatrixIlan Tochner