Need testers for a Blender plugin for avatar creation

Creating avatar shapes, hair, skin, eyes, etc.
Ada Radius

Need testers for a Blender plugin for avatar creation

Post by Ada Radius »

Owl Eyes is working on a plugin that replicates the OpenSim/SL avatar into Blender - the mesh, system vertex weighting (much different than mesh attachment weighting), LODs, UV mapping, and the complete SL armature with the custom settings for the volume bones. To come: the mesh and skeleton morphs, and eventually, probably some months away, reversing the process so that skilled modelers would be able to make new mesh avatars for the viewer. All of the data comes directly from the viewer/Character folder data and related viewer code. I did the proofs of concept last year, with much help from Kayaker Magic, and presented at OSCC last December. Those files and more are at: https://github.com/New-Media-Arts-New-Viewer-Avatar. Now I'm doing the Windows testing for Owl and just playing with the features so far. It's incredibly useful.

This plugin will be free. When I was researching, and I did a lot of it, I found that all of the SL published Wikis on the subject are incomplete or wrong. We all need better information. Our mission is to educate people on what, technically, is in the avatar and mesh attachments, and to help designers make better rigged mesh for our viewer.

WE NEED TESTERS: Linux users who have Blender installed, and Mac users who have Blender installed. No more knowledge is needed than that. We can be contacted in Skype (Ada Radius or Frank-Thomas Ernst) or email adaradius@gmail.com or tomernst@gmx.net

Thank you!!
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerGraham MillsOzwell WayfarerGusher Castaignede
Ada Radius

Re: Need testers for a Blender plugin for avatar creation

Post by Ada Radius »

We have a Linux tester, ty ty Iain McCracken. Still searching the haystack for a Mac person.
:)
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ada Radius wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:30 pm
We have a Linux tester, ty ty Iain McCracken. Still searching the haystack for a Mac person.
:)
I have an old Powerbook with Blender 2.79 installed. I don't think it can run a more recent Blender version and I can't really do more than check if the plug-in can import the avatar on a Mac. Is that enough?
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I'll check, but I think he needs Blender 3 and up. Thank you!
Update: he says it won't run on 2.79. 2.93 and up should work.