Unable to Wear Clothing Item

Creating clothing, shoes, and accessories
Miriam Zhivago

Unable to Wear Clothing Item

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

Does anyone know why a clothing item icon in inventory might be converted to a shape icon? :? I found I was not able to wear a particular clothing item and after repeated attempts I noticed that it had a "shape" icon next to it. I had worn the item lots of times, so I know I created it as "clothing," as not as a shape. Also, when I clicked on other similar clothing items, the same thing happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :P Note: This happened tonight while using the Firestorm Viewer after I had to clear my caches to try and uncloud my avatar.
Last edited by Miriam Zhivago on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Miriam Zhivago

Clothing Coverted to Shape in Inventory - UPDATE!

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

I'm not sure exactly how I did it, but I resolved the problem. I logged out of my viewer and back in, this time using Singularity. I wanted to see if the same problem existed in Singularity. Another reason I changed viewers is because I was unable to wear the clothing to try and edit it in Firestorm since it was showing the shape icon next to it. Not only that. I was desperate as this was one of my favorite tops that because it was so versatile and I used it in several ensembles as well as in wedding dresses I created. I did not want to chance losing it for good! In Singularity the same clothing items had a question mark icon this time, instead of the shape icon. I had hope! I clicked to wear one of the items in question and went into edit appearance. Next I selected the item and changed the name before saving it again. This time it had the clothing icon. I exchanged all items of the same name in my inventory with copies of the newly named item. Finally, I deleted all of the corrupted items and emptied the trash to avoid possibly corrupting the new items in the future, since I noticed several similar articles of clothing had been corrupted the same way today. Hope this never happens to anyone else, but if it does I hope this helps. ;)
These users thanked the author Miriam Zhivago for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineDot Matrix
Isis Ophelia

Re: Unable to Wear Clothing Item

Post by Isis Ophelia »

Since I started to use Opensim in 2011 I have experienced the same troubles in the past. Two reasons I have found out are the reason for viewers not recognizing the right layer.

Either the clothes, body parts etc were imported using Second Inventory at a time as Kitely had not fixed the bug that SI caused at restore. This problem does not bug us anymore since Oren made a fix for it
or the files that were used to create those pieces are missing in the data base server. In both cases will the viewers try to find a replacement for the missing data. The only fix that has helped me is to remake the items reuploading the textures. Once the server has the new UUID all is fine again for oneself but not for others, if they had received a copy of the item.

Long ago I had this problem in another grid. Customers started to tell me that my shoes looked weird, many spheres instead of shoes. OHboy for whatever reason my sculpts had disappear from the grid server. I was so frustrated imagining the tons of work it would be to send to each customer a fixed product but the grid support told me to give them the UUID of the missing maps together with the new UUIDs of the re-uploaded maps. They than replaced the old with the new ones and all the customers had fixed shoes pewww. At that time I used to say Opensim is never boring haha
These users thanked the author Isis Ophelia for the post (total 2):
Miriam ZhivagoSerene Jewell
IDdesigns @ Kitely Marketplace http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2075571

You`d like to meet others inworld? Join the Meet & Chat Corner group and say hello
Miriam Zhivago

Re: Unable to Wear Clothing Item

Post by Miriam Zhivago »

Something I never thought of. Sure glad things worked out for you and your creations! Great post. Thanks much for sharing, Isis. :)