Allowing export

Stores, items and deals
Dundridge Dreadlow

Re: Allowing export

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

I wish my stuff could be separated like that, it tends to be on the ridiculously complex side. My main in world computer has over 5 years of work on it and tens of thousands of lines of code, I can't just give all that away and expose all of the protocols :(

Some of my controllable devices might work though - I do have a full API for controlling any in world device on the computer screen.
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Handy Low
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I would be happy to buy scripts that work the way Dot suggested. It would be great to see some complex scripts that help builders while protecting scripters at the same time. Maybe you can make exportable basic scripts that can be found elsewhere for free. People would still buy them, see how well they work (maybe) and come back for the more complex non-exportable scripts.

I say "(maybe)" because another problem I see for scripters with exportable scripts is that they might not work elsewhere. Ilan and Oren work very hard to make sure scripts work they way we want them to here. That's not true or even possible with all grids. Best put a very visible disclaimer on those exportable scripts.

It's great to see people with the skill to write complex scripts joining and participating in Kitely in any manner they choose. You have my respect! :)
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post (total 5):
Ozwell WayfarerIlan TochnerDeuce HalseyHandy LowDanko Whitfield
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Deuce Halsey wrote:In fact Dot's idea could turn out to be the most workable long term business model for complex scripting in OpenSim, at least in situations where the scripts have a "creator component" and a "runtime component" like Handy's systems. Kitely could become the scripting/scripted items factory for the OpenSim section of the metaverse.
I like this concept a lot.
Marstol Nitely wrote:I say "(maybe)" because another problem I see for scripters with exportable scripts is that they might not work elsewhere. Ilan and Oren work very hard to make sure scripts work they way we want them to here. That's not true or even possible with all grids. Best put a very visible disclaimer on those exportable scripts.
A very good point. I'm not too concerned in my own case at the moment - the process of porting the current products from SL to Kitely and InWorldz has probably (I hope) caught all the various OpenSim incompatibilities - but this is clearly something that we need to bear in mind in general.
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post (total 2):
Deuce HalseyMarstol Nitely
Handy Low
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

OK, I've listed the first exportable version:

http://www.kitely.com/market/product/30 ... trol-scrip

Any thoughts on that listing (the wording, contents, anything) would be gratefully received.

Thanks to all for you input here - it's incredibly valuable.
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post (total 5):
Constance PeregrineDeuce HalseyMarstol NitelyOzwell WayfarerDot Matrix
Handy Low