To export or not to export, that is the question.

Stores, items and deals
Julia Soothsayer

To export or not to export, that is the question.

Post by Julia Soothsayer »

Hi. New over here on Kitely. Still uploading much of my work for the marketplace. Are there any threads about the good and bad about allowing export? I have a lot of items that I want to sell for K only because I don't want to charge a dollar - like a pair of eyes and small things - is this a big deal to most shoppers? My work is mostly for classic avatars and not mesh. Any tips on how to sell well here? Thanks in advanced!
Roswenthe Blackwell

Re: To export or not to export, that is the question.

Post by Roswenthe Blackwell »

Export does make a big difference in sales, but if you have a lot of little stuff, maybe you could do a pack of smaller items for export at the $1 price, and then sell them individually for Kitely credits as well?
These users thanked the author Roswenthe Blackwell for the post:
Selby Evans
Julia Soothsayer

Roswenthe Blackwell wrote:Export does make a big difference in sales, but if you have a lot of little stuff, maybe you could do a pack of smaller items for export at the $1 price, and then sell them individually for Kitely credits as well?
Thanks, that is exactly what I was going to do :) Great idea!
These users thanked the author Julia Soothsayer for the post (total 2):
Roswenthe BlackwellDot Matrix
Julia Soothsayer

What are other content creators take on export?
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hello Julia, my 2c.....

My export sales are quite strong. People appreciate you going out on a limb to provide them content, and I have plenty of people coming back and repeat sales.

People are also happy to buy things in KC because you can get a discount when buying KC in bulk, so it often means people can get items a little cheaper. Roswenthe Blackwells idea seems a good one. Sell them individually for a small amount of KC, then a fat-pack for 1 dollar.

The pro of Export is that you reach customers you otherwise would not.

The con of Export is that you are not protected by the usual perms. So people can in theory do what they like with your content. I however believe most people are honest, and certainly those who are willing to pay are not the ones who are going to steal stuff.

best tip to sell - Fill a niche. I dont know what kind of stuff you make, but I was talking to someone recently who wanted me to bring my builds to Inworldz for his Game of Thrones sim. He would have come to Kitely, but he believed the current avatar content was not up to what he required. I know a lot of people who are aching for some good medieval costumes. Myself included. But I think any well made avatar content will sell well, mesh or not.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 2):
Julia SoothsayerRoswenthe Blackwell
Julia Soothsayer

Ozwell, thanks and I agree that most people are not out looking to steal and also that the people stealing are probably not paying. I had been stolen from at secondlife back in 2007. That is when I made a 5 almost 6 digit income so I was really mad but now, I do not make hardly anything and wouldn't mind selling some things for export just to see what happens and actually sell something. Not everything - just a test group. The thing is, I am not out and about - I would probably never know if my work was being sold by another. If I had mesh files and NEW CREATIONS for sale for a minimal amount, I could very well see not feeling at all comfortable. To each his own I believe. Happy selling :)
These users thanked the author Julia Soothsayer for the post:
Roswenthe Blackwell
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Hi Julia, I am happy you are getting settled in-)
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Keith Selmes

Post by Keith Selmes »

There's a lot more metaverse users outside Kitely than inside Kitely, so I think not allowing export is cutting yourself off.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

In case it helps with the decision, Maria Korolov has just posted her November report on OpenSim statistics. The section on Kitely has some interesting things to say about the Market.
Maria wrote:The number of exportable items on the Kitely Market shot up 20 percent this month, with more than 500 additional product variations now enabled for delivery to other grids. The number of non-exportable items actually shrank this month.
Kitely Market's exportable and non-exportable variations

The Kitely Market now offers 6,794 variations of 3,316 products, a record high, and the biggest single increase in variations since the market first became hypergrid enabled in March.

A presentation about the Kitely Market was also the most popular event in the Business and Enterprise track at the OpenSimulator Community Conference earlier this month. ...

The Kitely Market is currently the leading marketplace for hypergrid-enabled grids.

“That is the main growth driver and most new merchants who come to Kitely Market do so in order to sell to the metaverse,” said Tochner. “Two thirds of the items that are bought in Kitely Market are ones that are exportable. Even Kitely users prefer buying exportable items, so it’s not surprising that even merchants who originally sold only unexportable items are beginning to sell exportable items as well.”
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerRoswenthe BlackwellConstance PeregrineDanko Whitfield
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

That was a very wooden joke Roxy. Knot funny, knot at all :P :D