Marketplace question - ad images for the website

Stores, items and deals
Ada Radius

Marketplace question - ad images for the website

Post by Ada Radius »

I don't know if you've gotten this far yet -
Have you set the criteria for ad images at the Marketplace? I just finished dozens of vendor images for inworld boxes, and am SO HOPING I can use the same images at the website. 512x512. If it's a different ratio, then I have hours of work ahead of me redesigning. Ack. Has it been decided yet? Do other merchants have opinions on this?
Ada Radius

Re: Marketplace question - ad images for the website

Post by Ada Radius »

Or maybe it could be flexible? For some of my products (like avatar eyes), I'd be happy to have 512x256.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

We're actually very close to publishing the first version of the Kitely Market guidelines.

The following relates to picture sizes:

Product pictures use a 4:3 aspect ratio. Currently we use the following picture sizes:

In the product page: 450 x 338
When viewing large pictures: 700 x 525

The minimum picture size you can upload is 400 x 400 but we highly recommend you upload a picture that has a 4:3 aspect ratio, and contains at least 700 x 525 pixels. This will help you avoid having your pictures automatically stretched and/or clipped. Your products will stick out less if other people's products have sharper pictures or pictures that use more of the space available to them.

If you can, we recommend uploading an even larger picture: 1400 x 1050 pixels. Currently such large pictures will be scaled down, but in the future we might use them to display very high quality images on high-resolution displays such as newer iPads. However, this is not a requirement.

When a product contains multiple variations, each variation should have at least one picture (search results show the variation that is most relevant to the user's search criteria - people seeing a picture that is close to what they searched for are more likely to click to view the product it represents). However, sometimes variations don't have any visible differences (e.g., they differ only in their scripts). In that case the variations should share a picture. This is possible because when a variation doesn't have a picture we automatically display the picture from a nearby variation instead.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

Thank you!
And ack, grump, redo.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

A quick update. The image sizes we'll currently be using will remain the same as I wrote to you earlier but our guidelines will recommend people upload images that contain at least 800 x 600 pixels instead of the 700 x 525 pixels we actually display at this time (for future compatibility, 1600 x 1200 pixels will be recommended when possible).

Again, this has no immediate effect (and it might be a long time until this is needed) but best to be prepared if possible.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

OK, that's an easy change to make, once I have the ratios fixed and the design elements rearranged in my PS files. (and once I deal with a dying graphics card that won't let me take snapshots of adequate resolution without crashing, ack. The new stuff has arrived but I'm not strong enough yet to install it arggh). I'll upload what I can, then upgrade images later.
Thank you!