The Great Worlds End Update 2020

Stores, items and deals
Ozwell Wayfarer

The Great Worlds End Update 2020

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hi everyone!

I hope your all doing well and staying safe in these difficult times. As a lot of the old crowd know, I have been away for quite a while. Life conspired to keep me away for much of 2018-19.

Now I am back I dont think I will be releasing much new stuff. I still dont really have the time for it. A lot of time and energy goes into developing things that are not only attractive but also user friendly. I want to have a spell of creativity where I dont have to think so hard about end user considerations.

....Also I am a little salty about Opensim 0.9 and the changes its made. But thats a topic for another thread. :)

But, I am well aware that many of my older products are getting a bit long-in-the-tooth and could use a lick of paint and a bit of sprucing up.

So starting this weekend Worlds End customers should be on the lookout for delivery drops with updated products.

The plan is thus:

Week 1. Landscaping Components and Plants
Week 2. Cave Kits
Week 3. Buildings and Props
Week 4. Any other nonsense that doesnt fit those 3 categories :)
Week 5. New trees released (maybe)

I will be updating textures, troubleshooting physics and mesh issues, and unifying everything with coherent textures.

Also, you may have noticed that some of my older trees have been retired. This is because I didnt reeeeaaally 100% know what I was doing back then, and upon reflection I think they are a bit too resource intense for Opensim. Especially very large regions.

I do have new trees planned as some of the few new releases I will be doing. They are much more in-line with my later tree releases like the Oak and Pine forests.

The old ones will be bundled and offered as freebies at my showroom inworld.

This is a really really great time to notify me of any bugs or issues you have encountered while using my products. Please send any observations to me via notecards inworld or with a PM here in the forums.

Thanks!
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 10):
Ilan TochnerSelby EvansDot MatrixJohn MelaChris NamasteTrouble AheadRezMela AppsFrank SquirrelHerderAlexina ProctorRicky Fournier
Frank SquirrelHerder

Re: The Great Worlds End Update 2020

Post by Frank SquirrelHerder »

This is fantastic news, Ozwell! I'm a huge fan of your work. I've purchased now approximately US$130 of your products, with plans to buy another $40 or so this weekend.

What should we do to check for updates on purchased products?

I've purchased the entirety of your Caves kit, every single Tudor structure you sell on the Market, and several landscaping items and texture packs. I'll be buying each of the Northmen and Saxon structures probably this weekend. I did notice some prim/texture flicker on some of the structures which I believe is due to overlapping mesh objects, and of course there's the physics issues and needing to scale structures up as real-world dimensions just don't work for the oversized avatars (and default camera angles) in open sim.

As I'm developing a new 4x4 region, I'll be grateful to wait on such products you anticipate being updated before I proceed in setting up everything I've got in my Worlds End inventory folder.
These users thanked the author Frank SquirrelHerder for the post:
Chris Namaste
By day I write modern fantasy novels, by night I torture prims!
Powered by black coffee and dark beer.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hi Frank,

The updating process is new to me too. Not sure how long its been a feature, but i can now click a link and all Kitely avatars who purchased the item will receive an updated version.

I presume that you will get a notification when the item(s) arrive.

The flicker issue is something I have noticed got markedly worse in OS0.9. It seems to be less forgiving for whatever reason. But its quick to fix once I notice it. But its one of those things thats hard to spot sometimes.

Im a bit 50/50 on the scaling up of things. In fact, I was going to scale many of my landscaping items down. The plan for the buildings really was just sprucing up the textures and finding any new physics issues.

This is because its far easier for the end user to scale things up than down. Once a single object in a linkset can no longer be reduced along one of the 3 axis any further, you can no longer scale down the entire linkset. You have to go through, find the offending piece and unlink it.

You may have experienced this inworld sometimes. If you ever tried scaling an object down and at a certain point it appears to be "locked" and you cant scale down any further (but you CAN scale up), thats why.

So scaling up is always easy, but scaling down can be a total nightmare.

Its hard to anticipate what exactly will be updated. I am going through the landscaping stuff today. Some things are just getting a retexture and check. Others might get new stuff added in. Some stuff may be streamlined so two products become one.

I have a lot of stuff hanging around that I cant justify making a whole new product out of, so i may just sneak them into existing products where I see a place that they fit in.

Hard to say really. Depends what i find as i review.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 4):
Frank SquirrelHerderChris NamasteAlexina ProctorRicky Fournier
Ricky Fournier

Post by Ricky Fournier »

Hey Ozwell!

As you know I love your stuff!

At the entrances to your "demo" caves on your sim you have some sort of funky prims that make the entrances realistically seem like you are entering and exiting a cave. Is there any chance of you offering these for sale? Guarantee that I'll buy a set ! !

Ricky
These users thanked the author Ricky Fournier for the post (total 2):
Frank SquirrelHerderChris Namaste
Frank SquirrelHerder

Post by Frank SquirrelHerder »

Hey Ozwell!

My primary av is on another grid, so I hope the product update delivery will work similarly. I've got a whole folder (and sub-folders) with all things Worlds End, and my region is pretty much going to be a showcase of your products by the time I'm done with it.

When you explain scaling in that way, then I'm in agreement with you. Though I'm not sure in the case of buildings why anyone would need to scale DOWN unless they were building a settlement for Tiny avatars. On the other hand, I'm certain most people have to scale UP many of your structures as so many people are approaching 8 feet tall and the default camera amplifies that distortion.

But, it's not a big deal to scale and I've been doing so with all of the buildings I've purchased from you.

The physics issue is a different complication but I've been working around it with invisi-prims and phantom. Not optimal, but at the end of the day it's a trivial thing.

I'd like to echo Ricky's request for the cave blackout prim, please! I've been creating my own, but it's not as good as yours.

While we're making requests, would you also consider selling the wicker/woven fence and wheat field outside your saxon house in the Worlds End showcase sim? I'd make great use of both in my bronze age themed build. :)

So glad to have you back! I'll be buying more from you today.
These users thanked the author Frank SquirrelHerder for the post:
Chris Namaste
By day I write modern fantasy novels, by night I torture prims!