Preparation of megaregion OARs -- NO LONGER OFFERED

Announce the services that you provide
Dot Macchi

Preparation of megaregion OARs -- NO LONGER OFFERED

Post by Dot Macchi »

Do you have a set of single-region OARs that you need to combine into a megaregion OAR for import into Kitely?

I can help by merging the OARs into a single file that you can then upload into a new or existing Kitely world connected to your account.

How it works: You make available the single-region OARs for me to download, and explain the exact configuration you wish to use. I will use an adapted sim-on-a-stick setup to lay the regions out, sending you a screenshot of the resulting map to make sure that everything is in the right place. Once you have confirmed the layout is correct, I will make a megaregion OAR, upload it to my Dropbox, and send a link for you to download it.

======
Edit (5 Jan 2014): Please get in touch to discuss costs.
======
Edit (21 Jun 2020): Title change to clarify that this service is no longer available in this format, but an alternative might be here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5362
Last edited by Dot Macchi on Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post (total 6):
Constance PeregrineBladyblue BommerangOzwell WayfarerCarlos LoffHoneyBabee DuportJS Saltwater
Renta Sim
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Preparation of megaregion OARs

Post by Renta Sim »

We wanted to share what a good experience we had working with Dot to make our 16 region Virtual World including mulitple OAR files. She is extremely reasonable and very talented! Thank you Dot!
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

this is a cool service-))
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Adagio Greenwood

Post by Adagio Greenwood »

Sounds fabulous!!
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Thank you for the kind words, everyone.

There were a few hiccups with the setup, and I think we all learnt from the experience. Thank you for your patience and helpfulness, Renta Sim and Ilan.

One thing I learnt is that I need to add a limit to the size of OARs that can be combined and finally uploaded. The upload speed my ISP provides can't cope with OARs greater than 250 MB and even that takes several hours.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

On a Mac, OAR files work fine when uploading to Kitely.

When downloading them, if the OAR file has a .tar.gz suffix you sometimes have to persuade the Mac not to automatically unzip it. (Sorry but I can't remember how I did this -- it was a long time ago.)

To combine single-region OARs into a multiregion one for uploading to a Kitely megaregion, you will need to use Greythane's version of Sim on a Stick:
greythane’s Mac SoaS and new Windows SoaS – version 2

This version uses OpenSim 0.7.6. You might need to upgrade it manually to the latest version of OpenSim.

Alternatively, I can combine the OARs for you for a very reasonable fee. Please send me a pm if you would like to use this service.
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

i would think the answer is yes, but can you take an existing 4-region and make it into a 9 or a 16?
with the additional regions just being empty land.
thx
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Yes. Just upload the existing 4-region OAR into the new larger world.

However, if you want to control where the smaller OAR is placed, then you will need to use SoaS in an intermediate step.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Shandon LoringAlexina Proctor
Constance Peregrine

Roxy Gellar wrote:Peachy! Looking forward to learning through experience when it's time to upload Miney's Big Island OAR(s). Once The Big Island and a few other OARs are set it would be great to have them altogether if possible.

It's also nice to see that there's at least a few people experienced with OARs.

BTW are OAR files ever a problem for Macs? If they are a problem is there a way around known issues you would suggest?
I am not sure what OAR you are referring to as "big island"? I just reviewed my stuff and the only "Big Island" I have is a 4 region terrain which I still offer for sale, but I have not sold that one in some time now. It is only terrains, not OARs.

OARs include a terrain [and even the ground texture I applied, if I did] but terrains are just the heights and depths 832 kb file.

Not a big deal, you just got me curious....lol

Ephemeral wanderer...
Constance Peregrine

ok, well, I guess if you insist-))

Hawaii with an area of 4,028 square miles (10,430 km2), is larger than all of the other islands in the archipelago combined and is the largest island in the United States. The island is often referred to as the "Big Island" to reduce confusion between the island and the state. The highest point is Mauna Kea at 4,207 meters [48m virtually]. For purchase @ OpenSimCity MP or on payloadz as a zipped file including 4 regions and 1 photo, for 20 USD.

http://store.payloadz.com/details/20057 ... awaii.html

Should get you there. Keep in mind it is not especially to scale, but more tuned towards usefulness in VR. In any case, you get a download link and can use it anywhere then, you will actually own it-)

Or, I suppose I could go to your regions here and upload it for you, and you can just pay me the equivalent in KCs [not that I need any, but it's kinda amusing to see it keep growing...lol]. This would keep it more anonymous. I just would need temp adding to EM on them all...I promise not to grief you during that time-))))

Catch me in PM here to discuss whatevers.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Michael Timeless

Ephemeral wanderer...