Missing Default Textures and Materials??? Can't Post Product.

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Filipa Thespian

Missing Default Textures and Materials??? Can't Post Product.

Post by Filipa Thespian »

Hidee ho. I'm trying to figure out an issue I'm having with posting a product on the market. I have a lot of errors, a lot of them look like this ... https://gyazo.com/7d74b522922a2bcd812396491bd72428 but to my knowledge (though I'll double-check), all of my prims faces have my textures on them, not the default.

I'm curious if it means something other than I'm thinking? It's even doing that error about my rezzer box when that rezzer box has been fine before.
the other errors are "missing default material" ... and I can't put the product up cuz of these errors so ... I'm trying to figure it out.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Pip
These users thanked the author Filipa Thespian for the post:
Ilan Tochner
I am Pip, therefore I ... um ... well ... am :D

https://www.kitely.com/market?store=16267322
Ilan Tochner

Re: Missing Default Textures and Materials??? Can't Post Product.

Post by Ilan Tochner »

These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Filipa Thespian
Filipa Thespian

Okey dokey looked at that and it appears that the problem is what I feared. So I have been going through this all day now and I have it down to 1 prim on 1 linkset that's a problem BUT ... now it keeps changing which prim that is to prims that were previously fine. I've noticed that the system has been having difficulty holding onto textures I apply to the prims and in holding onto their alignment after I set them. I fear this is a part of what's going on now.

By the way, I realized today that the system was "lying" to me when it told me it couldn't deliver the debug version last night and then again every time i went to it today. That was part of my issue last night, I thought I wasn't getting the debug which was very helpful. Turns out, that even though it's telling me it couldn't deliver it, it did.

Anyway, I am just chasing a rotating/revolving prim that I know for a fact has all the textures right when I package it but when I upload, the system apparently says nope OR maybe something's removing something between the saves. I dunno.

Thanks,
Pip
Ada Radius

Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Filipa,

Does your item have any dynamic textures assigned to it?

Are you modifying the object while it's inside your inventory or on a rezzed version?

Are you unlinking components then relinking them?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusFilipa Thespian
Filipa Thespian

I'm using full material layers.

Modding Rezzed items as they are all texture issues either main texture or materials. Not unlinking/relinking them, but turned out to totally remove all textures from the link part and then reapplying it eventually worked out but man it took a while to get textures to stay applied and to stay with the right repeats on each layer.
Ada Radius

Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

I'm just shooting from the hip here. Sometimes on all worlds ranging from SL to opensim to Kitely to you name it... prims and objects can become "broken". This means that they look fine, should work, but don't work for some undefined reason. There is no way to "fix" them; they are permanently malfunctioning.

The fix is to drag-copy the object and delete the one you dragged. The one left in the original spot is a new version-- and shouldn't be broken.

If the issue is one prim in the object this should take care of it. If it doesn't, the key is to locate the malfunctioning prim and replace it.

No one that I've ever spoken to knows what causes a "broken prim" or object, but I've seen many such over the years. It drives one nuts trying to figure out what is malfunctioning, but once we figure out it's simply broken and needs completely replaced, it works from there on out.

This is one of those "see if the television is plugged in" type of fixes. Except in this case the power cord is shot and needs replaced. :mrgreen:
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusFilipa Thespian
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

One trick to avoiding creator-texture issues is to set viewer preferences so that any prim you rez or mesh you import is automatically wearing a texture that you created. I use a 4x4 pixel white texture. In Firestorm Preferences it's in the Firestorm tab > Build1
These users thanked the author Ada Radius for the post (total 6):
Ilan TochnerSnoots DwagonDot MatrixChris NamasteFilipa ThespianBrayla Sana
Filipa Thespian

Hello. I've been through everything suggested here, and had already done everything suggested (I also went through the article suggested ... with a fine-tooth comb). I've used my own default texture for as long as I can remember (here and in SL), and I've done the drag new copy thing more times than I can count. Never changes the situation.

A couple of weeks ago suddenly any prim that was previously my default texture (i.e. the build-box's wood but my own version) was blank/white. even when I rezzed a new prim, that prim was white. I thought ... groovy, I suppose Kitely changed something and went on with my bad self. I EASILY got another new product up on the market with NO issues during this time. I was shocked and excited. It was so streamlined. I figured, whatever got changed was seriously for the better.

THEN THERE WAS LAST NIGHT ... so, I'd been working on a set of 3 shoppes. They've been sitting on my build platform for a couple of weeks. I just finished them last night (they were just needing some texturing to be complete), packaged them, and submitted them to the marketplace.

ALL 3 of them came back with just about EVERY prim in RED, including the rezzer package prims (all sides of each prim red). This is even worse than before (whereas before it was "some" of the prims), now it's just about ALL of the prims. NOTE, that very same rezzer package worked for previous builds I put in the store.

The textures are all mine (uploaded by me), and some of them have been used in previous builds that are successfully in the marketplace.

What is going on? How do I eliminate this problem? What even IS the problem. When I debug and check the list of errors, it's ALWAYS about missing textures, never anything else.
Chris Namaste

Filipa Thespian

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:40 pm
Hi Filipa,

Does your item have any dynamic textures assigned to it?

Are you modifying the object while it's inside your inventory or on a rezzed version?

Are you unlinking components then relinking them?
OK handling this response separately :) ...

1. Dynamic as in I use material layers? Yes to material layers.
2. Modifying object inside my inventory, NO. Modifying while it's rezzed on the ground, YES.
3. Unlinking & relinking components ... sometimes.
These users thanked the author Filipa Thespian for the post (total 2):
Ada RadiusChris Namaste

Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Filipa,

The most common reasons for white (i.e. missing) textures are:

1) People applied textures locally instead of uploading them to their inventory and applying it from the inventory. In these cases people see the textured items okay until they clear their viewer cache or use a different viewer that doesn't have that texture cached.

2) People make changes to textures on objects in their inventory instead of applying changes only to rezzed objects.

3) People use scripts that apply textures (using their UUID) that aren't included in the item itself. Then, once the item is taken to another grid or uploaded to the marketplace the textures can't be found.

4) People use scripts the apply temporary, or dynamic, textures to the item. Such as textures that are dynamically generated on many scripts signs and vendors. This is done, for example, using these OSSL functions: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_TextureDrawing

5) People changed their Firewall settings, which can block access to downloading from our assets system.

6) Some programs, such as various Adobe apps, can cause such issues, see for example: viewtopic.php?p=30858#p30858
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Ada RadiusFilipa ThespianSnoots DwagonChris Namaste