My experience of the Kitely Marketplace

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Ozwell Wayfarer

My experience of the Kitely Marketplace

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Hey Everyone,

I was going to give this info to hypergridbusiness.com but Maria has a policy of only printing articles with peoples real names. Now, I am not totally adverse to this idea but for various reasons, including screwballs I have had the misfortune to encounter in my years in SL, I am mulling it over at this point.

So, meanwhile I thought there is no harm putting the information out there myself, then if people want to talk/blog about it or whatever its out there for them to do so, So here goes...

I have had a resoundingly positive experience in my first 3 months on the Kitely Marketplace in terms of sales.

So far I have taken 260+ USD and over 40,000 KC. If the value of the KC are translated into USD, my average earnings have been over 100USD per month. 111 individual sales to roughly 30 customers (I was too lazy to go through and count :oops: ).

Sales have been split 60/40 in favor of export items, but other perm levels are selling well too. I think this is because I have placed a strong emphasis on modular landscaping products, and because I sell products that are easy for people to tweak and re-texture. People have a lot of land to fill and want products that give them some creative license, which is often a criticism of mesh products. Just because I envision something a certain way, someone else may see some other aspect or potential and I want customers to be able to pursue that. Your world, your imagination, right? ;)

Visitors have spend an amazing 876 minutes in my world since January alone! My dealings with my customers have always been pleasant and civil, and even where there have been hiccups on either side a satisfactory resolution has always been found.

The reason I feel it is important to share this information is to show other creators who maybe are on the fence that there is a friendly community here who are more than willing to pay for good content.

In SL, competition is stiff and its difficult to gain the exposure you need. My experience of the SL marketplace has been markedly different. People have loved my caves, because caves are a niche product that I noticed was undeserved in SL, but my landscaping products are far less popular. In SL, I feel like just another merchant hustling for a buck. Here I feel like I am making a difference. That is probably why I only really log into SL anymore to do customer service. Kitely is my home now.

Thank you all so much for your support so far, and I promise much more to come in 2014 and beyond! :D

Oz
Last edited by Ozwell Wayfarer on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 10):
Constance PeregrineDundridge DreadlowIlan TochnerMarstol NitelySelby EvansGraham MillsZuza RittMoco ScribeGaga GraciousFreda Frostbite
Constance Peregrine

Re: My experience of the Kitely Marketplace

Post by Constance Peregrine »

just an fyi, in Maria's hyperica site you can use pseudonyms, but as it is only for hypergated grids, this is only available when Kitely enables that.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dundridge Dreadlow

Post by Dundridge Dreadlow »

Impressive ! :)
These users thanked the author Dundridge Dreadlow for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PS. Kitely is awesome.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:I was going to give this info to hypergridbusiness.com but Maria has a policy of only printing articles with peoples real names.
It seems that she makes exceptions, see: http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2013/1 ... on-kitely/

Maybe it's worth contacting her about this to see if she can make one for you as well?
Selby Evans

Post by Selby Evans »

I am picking up this info for integration into a blog article about Kitely market or OS markets in general. I will be watching the forums for posts by other sellers. I probably will wait to post until Kitely market can deliver to the Hypergrid.
SE.
These users thanked the author Selby Evans for the post:
Ozwell Wayfarer
Ozwell Wayfarer

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:I was going to give this info to hypergridbusiness.com but Maria has a policy of only printing articles with peoples real names.
It seems that she makes exceptions, see: http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2013/1 ... on-kitely/

Maybe it's worth contacting her about this to see if she can make one for you as well?
haha, you know...... I looked at that article afterwards and it did make me wonder. Her email seemed fairly unequivocal though so I didnt want to press her on ther matter. if I carry on doing well, eventually she might have no choice ;)

To be fair I know I am probably just being a stick in the mud about the whole name thing, most readers would probably neither notice or care. I have no problem participating in an environment where everyone is open about who they are, but being non-anonymous in a world full of anonymous people seems to me to be asking for trouble.
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

I can add that Kitely Market has far surpassed my expectations. Even with only limited support for export (so far - I've been to busy with RL to work lately), my sales from KM have been much better than one would expect given the number of users. To be fair, the same can be said of InWorldz sales, but only from in-world (heh) shops; inBiz Marketplace has been rather slow.

Between Kitely and Inworldz, sales are so good that I've actually stopped development on a project in SL because it wouldn't work in OpenSim (due to limitations in OpenSim LSL) in favour of one that should port across OK.
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post (total 4):
Ozwell WayfarerConstance PeregrineGraham MillsMarstol Nitely
Handy Low
Ozwell Wayfarer

Minethere - Thats good info for the future. Thanks!

Dundridge - Well, I would be lying if I said I was not just a tad smug :D

Selby - Awesome! Thank you, hopefully more will share some info that you can use. I must admit, with my above results, I am very intrigued to see what will happen when the HG delivery system goes live.

Handy - Thanks for sharing! I have a small plot of land at Inworldz, but got it pretty much exactly at the same time as the Kitely price plan changes......so that all went out of the window. I do plan on going back at some point. Inbiz did not really look worth investing time in IMHO. many have told me that sales are in-world based in...uh...inworldz :)
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineHandy Low
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote: I know I am probably just being a stick in the mud about the whole name thing, most readers would probably neither notice or care. I have no problem participating in an environment where everyone is open about who they are, but being non-anonymous in a world full of anonymous people seems to me to be asking for trouble.
I think it can be fun to be "someone else" for a little bit in virtual worlds. Even if you're not officially role playing, it's nice to have a kind of virtual alter ego from your real life self. My real life name is not related in any way to my avatar name. I don't really consider that I'm "hiding" anything. I make it clear that I'm the owner of a real life business, and it's easy enough for a curious person to find my real identity and location from domain registration records.

At the end of the day I consider everyone I deal with in virtual worlds to be "real", since there is a real live person behind each avatar. Who cares if the avatar name is related in any way to that person's real life name? The import thing is how they act/react in the virtual world we share.
These users thanked the author Deuce Halsey for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineTully McLeodOzwell Wayfarer
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Ozwell Wayfarer

I agree Deuce, but that logic can be employed by both sides of the argument. I guess it doesn't really matter. I googled myself and I am a non-person anyway by the look of it. ;)

Aaaaaanyway, in other news to all the merchants out there, we are at 1932 unique items on the MP today. I want number 2000 :mrgreen: Race you!
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 3):
Constance PeregrineDeuce HalseyBoo Rojyo