My experience of the Kitely Marketplace

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Constance Peregrine

Re: My experience of the Kitely Marketplace

Post by Constance Peregrine »

This MP is really growing quickly. More than the couple of others I know of on closed grids, in such a short time.

Due mostly to it being so innovative, to my thinking...

Looking forward to seeing how things will go when HG delivery is enabled.
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post (total 4):
Deuce HalseyChav PaderbornSelby EvansOzwell Wayfarer
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

Minethere Always wrote:This MP is really growing quickly. More than the couple of others I know of on closed grids, in such a short time.

Due mostly to it being so innovative, to my thinking...

Looking forward to seeing how things will go when HG delivery is enabled.
I think the HG delivery aspect is what is driving much of the growth (besides the fact that the MP just works). I have already been told by a number of SL merchants "Nah I am staying out for now......but I will be watching how it pans out for you very closely".

I think they expect every region in OS being crammed with ripped World's End stuff within a week of HGD going live :roll: . Of course, I am not naive enough to think it wont happen at all, but a few bad eggs is all you are hinging your argument on then your missing the point by so much, I think you just landed on the moon.

There is definitely two schools of thought within SL merchants that I broadly paint as "Pro-DRM" and "Anti-DRM". Most are the former because hey, that is what they know. Those people are waiting for the "told you so" moment which will never come.

The Anti DRM crowd are here already or coming here more and more each week. Many of us were already here in opensim, but had no platform to distribute our goods. EDIT - When I think on it, I am not against fair DRM, but if it restricts the end user in any way, I dislike it.

Another important difference is simply that I love building. Selling comes second. Everything I have on sale I built originally to serve my own needs. Of course being a semi-employed part-time student, I dont sniff at money but I do this for my own reasons too. I think many other merchants who operate in OS would express similar sentiments.
Last edited by Ozwell Wayfarer on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Constance Peregrine

Yes, I think what you say about "all they know" is a big part of the holding back crowd. I also think this gets used in the anti-messages [for want of a better word] in the attempt to try and stem the tide to Kitely, and it's MP.

Personally I would love to see it work out. I do expect some will use the HG aspect in part of the negative campaigning, but I just don't think it will make much difference in the long haul [defined as up to a year or so].

I do know several ppl who want it to happen, who will talk it up once it does, but especially when HG is enable for avies [my main focus].

I would really love to see a loosening up of all the content issues that come up so often, and see it mellow down to just supplying ppl what they want, in a relatively easy way, with people choosing whether they want free content in the Meta, for pay content, or mixing it up.

I really don't see any downside to any of this other than the drama that will come from, really, only a few people with vested interests otherwise.

So, in any case, we shall see how it goes. The MP seems to have slowed down a bit but perhaps there are legitimate reasons.

Ephemeral wanderer...
Deuce Halsey

Post by Deuce Halsey »

Minethere Always wrote: The MP seems to have slowed down a bit but perhaps there are legitimate reasons.
I had originally intended to add more products to my in-world store and the KM after the holidays. But my decision to expand Donnybrook Beach to a 4-region world has derailed that plan. I'm not the best builder and I have to learn how to do so many things that were never an issue back when all I had was a tiny parcel of SL mainland to work with. I just recently began uploading mesh models into Kitely, which another whole new can of worms for me.

I'm planning to release a few non-functional scenery vehicles (e.g. a tugboat and a police car) as freebies in world soon. I will also put them up on the KM as 10 KC Freebies. I'm still working furiously on building out Donnybrook Beach (including the newly planned Marina, where I will offer boat slips for rent to folks who would prefer to make their home on a virtual boat rather than in a virtual house when in the OpenSim metaverse).

So I won't be adding much to the KM for the next couple of months. I do hope that by Spring I can turn my attention back towards adding more t-shirt designs to my in-world collection.
Deuce Halsey
Just4yucks in Kitely Marketplace
http://www.kitely.com/market?store=2704782
Ozwell Wayfarer

I get the impression that its been a slow January all over. My SL sales have been really awful this month and while I am sure a part of that is my own neglect, this cant account for all of it. My online friends list seems shorter than usual too.
Maria Korolov
Has thanked: 0

Post by Maria Korolov »

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:
Ilan Tochner wrote:
Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:I was going to give this info to hypergridbusiness.com but Maria has a policy of only printing articles with peoples real names.
It seems that she makes exceptions, see: http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2013/1 ... on-kitely/

Maybe it's worth contacting her about this to see if she can make one for you as well?
haha, you know...... I looked at that article afterwards and it did make me wonder. Her email seemed fairly unequivocal though so I didnt want to press her on ther matter. if I carry on doing well, eventually she might have no choice ;)

To be fair I know I am probably just being a stick in the mud about the whole name thing, most readers would probably neither notice or care. I have no problem participating in an environment where everyone is open about who they are, but being non-anonymous in a world full of anonymous people seems to me to be asking for trouble.
Yes, I prefer to quote people under real names whenever at all possible. Sometimes, it isn't, and the story is important, and I'll make an exception. I think in this case I didn't realize it wasn't a real name. If a name sounds like a typical SL avatar name, I'll ask people, "Can I quote you under your real name?" And if they say no, that's usually it. Sometimes they have a very good reason to stay private, but they can confirm their real identity to me, and I'll go ahead and quote them under an avatar name or pseudonym. Like, say if someone is blowing the whistle on their company's toxic spill.

If the person I'm quoting is running a business where they accept real money from customers, I'm much more likely to want to quote them under a real name.

But if any merchants are willing to speak on the record -- I'm very eager to write about both the positive and the negative experiences of selling in OpenSim. What works? What can be improved? Our readers want to know! Feel free to email me: maria@hypergridbusiness.com
Sarge Misfit

Post by Sarge Misfit »

I really gotta get busy on making stuff
These users thanked the author Sarge Misfit for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Living life on the wrong side of a one-track mind.

National Security Threat Level: Gnat

My site: Excelsior Station
My Kitely World: Misfit's Folly
Olivia Cat

Post by Olivia Cat »

My SL sales are also really low in this month with nearly the same effort from my side like usually in last half of year (it's about mesh clothing business mainly). So I generally believe in slow January theory.
Ozwell Wayfarer

Ozwell Wayfarer wrote:Aaaaaanyway, in other news to all the merchants out there, we are at 1932 unique items on the MP today. I want number 2000 :mrgreen: Race you!
I did it! muhahaha!

These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post (total 2):
Danko WhitfieldGraham Mills
Constance Peregrine

grrrr....I was jus' 'bout to add a nicely textured prim to get the y2k prize!!!!!!

anywhose, congrats-))

Ephemeral wanderer...