Exporting Products Grid Wide... How Does It Work?

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Moco Scribe

Exporting Products Grid Wide... How Does It Work?

Post by Moco Scribe »

I'm new to Kitely and have seen bits and pieces of information of the new export option but still have some questions... so here goes!

1- When does the new export option start or has it started already and I've missed it?
2- If I set a product for export does this mean that the next owner has the limited permissions I set i.e. copy/mod or do they also have full export rights over it as well i.e. can they have copy, modify, transfer permissions and/or can sell it to others?
3- Once a product is exported do the permissions for things such as scripts stay the same so, if the whole product is copy/mod but the scripts/animations etc are copy only will that stay the same once exported?

Any help appreciated!
;)

http://www.mocoscribe.com
These users thanked the author Moco Scribe for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Ilan Tochner

Re: Exporting Products Grid Wide... How Does It Work?

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Moco,

Export controls are already in place, any item sold via the Kitely Market has the Export control mechanism attached to it. The merchant can decide whether a sold item is exportable or not. If it isn't exportable then our system won't let the buyer (or anyone who got a copy from the buyer) export that item via OAR files or Hypergrid travel. Items that are export-enabled can already be saved to OAR files and, once Kitely enables Hypergrid travel, will also be allowed to be taken with the buyer's evatar as he or she travels to other grids via Hypergrid.

There is another feature, which will be rolled out in the next couple of weeks, which will enable people to buy items from Kitely Market and have them delivered directly from Kitely Market to avatars on other Hypergrid-enabled grids.

You can learn more about the Export feature here: http://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-new ... plemented/

The Export permission acts as a separate permission from Copy/Modify/Transfer permissions so you can mix and match any combination you want and that will be enforced while the item is inside Kitely. Exported items taken to third-party grids will get the same Copy/Modify/Transfer permissions the merchant set in Kitely. The license to use exportable content outside Kitely is listed in the Proprietary Rights section of our Terms of Service.

Do you need further clarification? :-)
Moco Scribe

Post by Moco Scribe »

Thanks Ilan

Does this mean then that it is the OAR that is effectively sold? And then there is nothing to stop that buyer then selling that OAR to someone else without the original creator knowing?

I'm just keen to understand the impact on the creator of releasing their creation into the grid. What would practically stop the person buying the OAR setting up shop and selling an OAR that isn't theirs?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Moco,

An OAR file is a backup of a world. Kitely automatically filters out objects that you didn't create and for which you don't have Export permissions from any OAR file you create.

There is no mechanism for selling OAR files in Kitely. What people can do is buy exportable items, rez them in their world and export that world to an OAR file.

The Kitely Market Hypergrid-delivery system will send items inworld to avatars on other grids so that, once accepted, they will appear in those avatar's inventories. This system will not require people to export files from Kitely and import them back to their desired grid.

If you sell items with the Export permission you should assume that people will be able to save that item to an OAR file. People can technically rip of content from all over the Internet and try to sell it as if it was theirs. The only thing that can stop them are copyright laws and the desire of web hosting companies to not involve themselves with knowingly facilitating the sale of unlicensed copyrighted content. The people who wish to do that don't have to go to the trouble to buy from you first, they can go inworld with a copybot and rip your content from any place that displays it inworld (this is how most copybotted content gets to OpenSim, it is copybotted in Second Life and brought over to some OpenSim grid by scrupulous people). What Kitely Market enables you to do is to make it more convenient for people to buy your content from you than to get it from a copybot. It is like iTunes selling billions of songs that people could have easily gotten for free on illegal websites had they spent enough time looking for them.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Moco ScribeIsis Ophelia
Moco Scribe

Post by Moco Scribe »

I get it now.

I feel more comfortable using that an option now and quite excited, except there is the problem of less choice of scripts for builders : (

I did speak to a couple of well known SL script makers about whether they would make a move to another grid and they all said not unless concurrency increases a lot. What's been done to help them to take a risk as builders like myself rely on good script makers.
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Dundridge is a good scripter, ain't ya, DD??

What kind of scripts do you need?

As to concurrency, that seems to be in the eyes of the beholder...lol

If they want sl concurrency, then stay in sl, if they see the value in Kitely, then do both, if they wish to save money and are not filthy rich like I am, then get land here...............................[and still stay in sl, regardless...youz gotz options!!!] [and you can back it all up to an OAR in your own computer....yippeee!!!]
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Dundridge Dreadlow
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Don't forget Handy's Tools as well, which are available on Kitely Market. Some of those have Export modules -- e.g. for doors and drawers. How to use them is very well documented -- recommended!
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineHandy Low
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Handy Low

Post by Handy Low »

Thanks, Dot and Mine!

Currently only the door system has an export version, but I've been meaning to get round to doing the rest - if anyone wants an export version of anything else, I'll do it straight away.

RL has taken a couple of unexpected turns lately (good ones) that mean I've not had as much time and energy for this as I'd hoped, but I'm determined to pick up the pace again soon.
These users thanked the author Handy Low for the post (total 2):
Constance PeregrineBarnard Smith
Handy Low
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Good news in RL? That's great to hear, Handy! :)

I'd be interested in export versions of the water, fire and lighting tools. If you need to prioritise, my vote would be for fire.