Variations and Attributes

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
oopsee joseppe

Variations and Attributes

Post by oopsee joseppe »

Thank you llan for your suggestion to use the attributes such as color for variation items. Many of the things I make are one item with multiple colors so I usually don't add a color attribute to them. So if there is a red, green, yellow texture for the object how to list? Here is an example - http://www.kitely.com/market/product/36 ... ar=3688925 - Is it red, yellow or gold? Do I add every color listing the most prevalent color first? I read somewhere that the more attributes added to each category such as color the more diluted the search becomes? Is it better to leave no color or add say three or four colors to an item or just the most prevalent one unless two or three are of equal weight (a black and white checked or striped texture)? Is it possible to add a category for "multiple colors as an additional choice?". Some items I include each single item in all colors, how do I attribute colors in this case - http://www.kitely.com/market/product/34 ... ar=3498520 --- Another are tails, do I add attributes for animal, furry and human as all are legitimate prospects, again listing the possible highest use first? I am at a loss but want to create listings that are easy to find and also accurate to the item yes, so on many items I have been ignoring applying attributes to them for fear of being misleading. Thank you for the attention llan I very much appreciate the email heads up. Thought I would bring it here so others might benefit as well.
Ilan Tochner

Re: Variations and Attributes

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi oppsee,

In general you should avoid adding more than one value per attribute per variation. The value you add is the one that is the most dominant. For example, in case of the Color attribute you list the "average" color of the item. If there is no single dominant value but there are a couple of colors that are dominant (e.g. a striped shirt) then listing two values can also be okay but you have to remember that this will hurt the item's search ranking as we want to display the most appropriate items first and a black and white white whirt is less relevant than a shirt that is just white when a person wishes to filter out items that aren't white. In any case, if you can't clearly say which two colors are the dominant ones then don't list any Color value at all as anything you choose may look like a mislabeled item to potential customers who may then complain to us about you mislabeling your items.

For those that aren't aware of this, you can list different Attribute values for different variations of the same product listing by switching those Attributes from being Product Attributes to being Variation Attributes. You do this by pressing the right facing arrows next to those Attributes. Then make sure to go over all the variations in that product listing and set the appropriate values for those Attributes in those variations.
oopsee joseppe

Re: Variations and Attributes

Post by oopsee joseppe »

Thanks llan for the clarification about colors and i suppose this applies to the other categories as well. I think I gots it now :)