Search Criteria & Priority

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Jennifer Simoni

Search Criteria & Priority

Post by Jennifer Simoni »

I'm wondering what specifics affect item search, and the priority in which they are considered.

For instance. I have added Hazel eyes as a variation to one of my items. I have chosen the color 'Green' from the variation attributes, however, this product variation does not show when I click 'Avatar Appearance > Eyes > Green' from the search links on the left side of the Market page, nor does it show when I go to 'Avatar Appearance > Eyes', then do a manual search for the word 'Green'. The variation, however, does appear if I do a manual search for the word 'Hazel'.

I tried to put the words Green and Brown in the Variation title, but that didn't seem to have an affect. I've avoided using multiple colors in the variation attributes (as suggested), although I did test that out without a change in search results.

I'm not concerned with search ranking, I just want to make sure they do show if someone does search the category of 'Green' (and also Brown, preferably) that they will be included in the search results presented.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Search Criteria & Priority

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Jennifer,

I've reviewed your listing in question and have the following comments:

You'll note the group variations icon in the market search bar. When selected you will only see a single matching result from each product listing. As you can see it currently shows the Green eyes variation you have as it is listed higher in your product variations list. If you unselect that toggle you'll see that the hazel variation is displayed as well.

Please list Export and non Export product variations in the same product listing. If this requires more than 20 variations then split the variations into two separate product listings but not based on what is and isn't exportable but rather on things such as their color attribute values.
Jennifer Simoni

Thanks. I will check out what you describe about the market search bar.

I had split the two products into the export/non-export due to the number of variations. It seemed the best way to split them to keep the total number of listings down as well as keep the style in one pack. (I have more styles with the same color combinations to list, yet). Would you suggest I list them each by color and have 10 separate listings with the non Export and export options as the variations, instead? Want to make sure I'm doing this correctly to start rather than needing to do it over later, so I'm open to suggestion.
Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Jennifer,

I've reviewed your listing in question and have the following comments:

You'll note the group variations icon in the market search bar. When selected you will only see a single matching result from each product listing. As you can see it currently shows the Green eyes variation you have as it is listed higher in your product variations list. If you unselect that toggle you'll see that the hazel variation is displayed as well.

Please list Export and non Export product variations in the same product listing. If this requires more than 20 variations then split the variations into two separate product listings but not based on what is and isn't exportable but rather on things such as their color attribute values.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Export and no-export versions of products need to be listed as variations in the same product listing. Each product listing can contain up to 20 variations so people usually list color variations with and without the export permission inside a single product listing. When that isn't possible, split the product listing into listings with as many variations as possible not a single listing per color. For example, one product listing with variations for dark colors (with and without Export) and one product listing with variations for light colors (with and without Export). Alternatively, split the variations between two product listings based on other visible differentiating criteria (things that are visible properties of the sold items) that isn't based on the permissions with which those items are sold.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Jennifer Simoni
Jennifer Simoni

Great! Thanks. I have inactivated my current listings and will make the modifications as suggested. I'm glad I asked before posting more products!

I really appreciate the assistance and suggestions.

Jennifer
Ilan Tochner wrote:Export and no-export versions of products need to be listed as variations in the same product listing. Each product listing can contain up to 20 variations so people usually list color variations with and without the export permission inside a single product listing. When that isn't possible, split the product listing into listings with as many variations as possible not a single listing per color. For example, one product listing with variations for dark colors (with and without Export) and one product listing with variations for light colors (with and without Export). Alternatively, split the variations between two product listings based on other visible differentiating criteria (things that are visible properties of the sold items) that isn't based on the permissions with which those items are sold.
These users thanked the author Jennifer Simoni for the post:
Dot Matrix
Jennifer Simoni

Hooray. I think I have this sorted, now. Thanks for the guidance in getting started, it's much appreciated!

I do have a couple questions... both simply out of curiosity.

1) Is there a possibility of an increased number of variations in the future? (I'm having minor OCD distress having to split up my set :lol: )

2) Why is it preferable to NOT split up Export and non-Export items into separate listings?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Jennifer,

1) Maybe.

2) Each product should only appear once in search results. The question of whether a product is exportable or not doesn't make the item into a different product it is just a question of what the buyer can do with that product. Having products appear more than once in search results forces the buyer to do manual inventory of what they have and haven't considered buying yet which results in lower sales. Think of shifting through shirts on a rack, if you have to start eliminating duplicates while you browse them then you will need to spend more time before being able to consider all your options.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Jennifer Simoni
Jennifer Simoni

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Jennifer,

1) Maybe.
Cool! (maybe) ;)
Ilan Tochner wrote:2) Each product should only appear once in search results. The question of whether a product is exportable or not doesn't make the item into a different product it is just a question of what the buyer can do with that product. Having products appear more than once in search results forces the buyer to do manual inventory of what they have and haven't considered buying yet which results in lower sales. Think of shifting through shirts on a rack, if you have to start eliminating duplicates while you browse them then you will need to spend more time before being able to consider all your options.
Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense!
Funk Schnook
Has thanked: 0

Post by Funk Schnook »

Jennifer Simoni wrote: 1) Is there a possibility of an increased number of variations in the future?
I think it should just be unlimited. When you have a separate exportable version, you already need twice the number of variations. Then multiply that by each "color" variation you might have, along with pack option etc.

You run out of variation slots very fast. I don't see why there is a need to limit the number of variations.

While we are discussing variations, how about a "duplicate" button, so we can easily duplicate a variation listing and make changes to it
eg. I set up the non export version, duplicate it, and just tick "export" and change the name... This would be so much easier!
These users thanked the author Funk Schnook for the post:
Jennifer Simoni