Mandatory Prims Indication

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Carlos Loff

Re: Mandatory Prims Indication

Post by Carlos Loff »

Derric Foggarty wrote:Hi all,

This is my first time posting anything here, as this is also a big issue that I’ve been thinking about. While the Kitely marketplace is great for content, most of the items listed have no information about them and are very misleading for people that pay good money to purchase them.
If you are someone that wants to have an efficient smooth lag free region, then you will want to know exactly what items are optimised game friendly, and ones that are bad on the engines resources.
I think that Kitely should introduce something like listing the triangle count of mesh items on the marketplace, so that people will know exactly what they are buying, and can then choose the items they want to be able to build more efficiently. Even a listing of the texture sizes and maps used would be good. Most of the other 3d content marketplaces all list the triangle count, poly count, textures used, show wireframes and so on, and that way you know what you’re buying.

Like say you buy an item on the marketplace listed as mesh only 1 prim, and that mesh object might be only 1 prim but still have 20000 triangles in it. That’s the equivalent of 185 prims on your sims resources.

So the more triangles on your sim the more your machine has to chug away and calculate them.

1 prim cube = 108 triangles
1 sculpie = 2048 triangles
1 mesh cube with 6 faces = 12 triangles

Also an interesting blog I found with info on mesh
http://razwelles.blogspot.ie/2012/06/op ... nding.html
That is a fine note from you, thank you, we are always learning

Some objects like trees or lamp posts or anything that can be used in huge numbers are vital for the server optimisation - Big issue here
Kitely - Meta Lisbon --> grid.kitely.com:8002:Meta Lisbon Startups
Join Me on Meetup --> https://www.meetup.com/metalisbonstartups/
Join Kitely Group --> Meta Lisbon Startups