Mandatory Prims Indication

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Carlos Loff

Mandatory Prims Indication

Post by Carlos Loff »

Hi there

Sometimes I just don't buy a product at the market because I don't know how many prims it takes, if we are talking for example of a tree or something to replicate and spread along the land that issue is very important

Is it possible to include in the Market Pages a mandatory field where Merchants must imput prims count ???

Cheers
These users thanked the author Carlos Loff for the post (total 3):
Selby EvansIsis OpheliaOzwell Wayfarer
Kitely - Meta Lisbon --> grid.kitely.com:8002:Meta Lisbon Startups
Join Me on Meetup --> https://www.meetup.com/metalisbonstartups/
Join Kitely Group --> Meta Lisbon Startups
Dadiella Nightwing

Re: Mandatory Prims Indication

Post by Dadiella Nightwing »

The problem with a prim field is that it can be misleading. Something can be one prim in Kitely and more prims in another opensim grid.
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Dadiella Nightwing wrote:The problem with a prim field is that it can be misleading. Something can be one prim in Kitely and more prims in another opensim grid.
OOOPS, did not know about that, that is awful
These users thanked the author Carlos Loff for the post:
Selby Evans
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I didn't know that either. How does that work and how much can it vary by?
Dadiella Nightwing

It depends on how the grid management wants to do it. Kitely uses straight up prim count; other grids may want to do a land impact calculation. It's up to who manages the grid.
These users thanked the author Dadiella Nightwing for the post (total 2):
Iris RubyCarlos Loff
Carlos Loff

Post by Carlos Loff »

Dadiella Nightwing wrote:It depends on how the grid management wants to do it. Kitely uses straight up prim count; other grids may want to do a land impact calculation. It's up to who manages the grid.
Anyway its better to have a more precise idea than nothing - The mandatory field can be called - Kitely Prim Count
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

I'm thinking that has more to do with the viewers. For instance, Singularity shows me Prim Count in Kitely while Firestorm shows Land Impact for the same item (also in Kitely). At least I hope that's the way it works since I've been stating the Land Impact for most items I listed on the Kitely Market. :?
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Carlos Loff
Dadiella Nightwing

Marstol Nitely wrote:I'm thinking that has more to do with the viewers. For instance, Singularity shows me Prim Count in Kitely while Firestorm shows Land Impact for the same item (also in Kitely). At least I hope that's the way it works since I've been stating the Land Impact for most items I listed on the Kitely Market. :?

I think that's because singularity is a 1.x viewer. The words "land Impact" were introduced with mesh in SL viewers 2.x+ as a replacement for prim count. As far as I know, the calculation is the same, though.

I suppose adding a "Kitely Prim Count" field would be a sort of self-advertising as most of my items are fewer than 3 prims in Kitely whereas in grids that do SL-style land impact calculations, the LI of my items is much higher.
These users thanked the author Dadiella Nightwing for the post:
Carlos Loff
Ozwell Wayfarer

Post by Ozwell Wayfarer »

This is an issue I have been pondering too, but there is no real easy answer. I always try to mention the PE/LI as it stands in Kitely, and if I have PE/LI data from SL, I try to include that too.

It gets even more complex when you consider the PE/LI calculations can vary from grid to grid. The two places I have experienced PE/LI calculations is SL and Inworldz. Inworldz calculation works out roughly 2/4-3/4 the impact that SL calculates. I have no idea how easy it is to configure, if it has "default values" etc. This is a concern for me with my trees in particular. PE/LI calculations dont tend to be kind to large high detail mesh.

There is a tree creator in SL who I LOVE and studied her technique to learn how to create my trees. They are hands down the most realistic and beautiful trees in SL (Nadine Reviere - 3D Trees check her out! https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/87763), but if you put a lot of her trees into the PE/LI calculator as mesh, you would weep. Expect PE/LI counts of 200-300+. Which is not Nadines fault of course. It the nature of the medium she uses. Sculpties get away with murder.

Which is another point, I think while sculpties and prims exist, PE calculations on mesh are a bit mean. Sculpties are particularly bad, as each one has a default 1200 tris, no matter what the object is. PE calculations can and should also apply to sculpties and prims too. To not apply the rules equally holds innovation back as people will continue to model with sculpties to wangle the PE values, when they could be building far better and more efficient things in mesh.
These users thanked the author Ozwell Wayfarer for the post:
Carlos Loff
Derric Foggarty
Has thanked: 0

Post by Derric Foggarty »

Hi all,

This is my first time posting anything here, as this is also a big issue that I’ve been thinking about. While the Kitely marketplace is great for content, most of the items listed have no information about them and are very misleading for people that pay good money to purchase them.
If you are someone that wants to have an efficient smooth lag free region, then you will want to know exactly what items are optimised game friendly, and ones that are bad on the engines resources.
I think that Kitely should introduce something like listing the triangle count of mesh items on the marketplace, so that people will know exactly what they are buying, and can then choose the items they want to be able to build more efficiently. Even a listing of the texture sizes and maps used would be good. Most of the other 3d content marketplaces all list the triangle count, poly count, textures used, show wireframes and so on, and that way you know what you’re buying.

Like say you buy an item on the marketplace listed as mesh only 1 prim, and that mesh object might be only 1 prim but still have 20000 triangles in it. That’s the equivalent of 185 prims on your sims resources.

So the more triangles on your sim the more your machine has to chug away and calculate them.

1 prim cube = 108 triangles
1 sculpie = 2048 triangles
1 mesh cube with 6 faces = 12 triangles

Also an interesting blog I found with info on mesh
http://razwelles.blogspot.ie/2012/06/op ... nding.html
These users thanked the author Derric Foggarty for the post (total 4):
Carlos LoffSelby EvansShandon LoringOzwell Wayfarer