Unable to redeliver some products

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Kayaker Magic

Unable to redeliver some products

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I tried to re-deliver several products to one of my customers with the Sales History page Some of the products arrived OK, some gave me this not very useful error message:
"We couldn't deliver an item from Kitely Market to the receiving avatar.
An error occurred while transferring the items to the receiving avatar's grid."

So two problems: Why do some products not get re-delivered?
And can you put the NAME of the product in that message so I know which ones to try again?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Unable to redeliver some products

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kayaker,

Delivery to third-party grids is a very complex process with many potential pitfalls. There are quite a few technical reasons why an item may fail to be delivered to a different grid, almost all of which are dependent on external reasons outside our control (network speed between our grid and the target grid causing timeouts on the target grid's end, database storage on the target grid, etc.). That's why the delivery process includes both various automated workarounds and retries (both automatic and manual).

However, the main reason for failures falls under the category of Human Error: trying to deliver items to a third-party avatar that is not currently logged in and located on a region in its home grid. You'll note that our delivery system notifies buyers that they need to be logged into their home grid when they click the link the system sends them to complete the delivery process. However, the redelivery process may be attempted by merchants when the avatars are not logged in and this significantly increases the chances of item deliveries failing due to the target grid intentionally or unintentionally stopping the process.

Each product bought in the transaction gets its own entry in the Sales History page. The item that failed is the one for which you selected the redeliver option. The message could be phrased better but what it means is that some component (such as a texture, mesh, etc.) of the item you selected to redeliver failed to be properly delivered to the third-party grid. You can't manually redeliver an item component separately to fix this problem.

The solution is to notify your buyer and press the Redeliver option again when you know his or her avatar is inworld in its own grid. That will very likely result in the process completing successfully. We will eventually improve this system but those solutions are more complex to implement so the aforementioned solution is what you can currently utilize.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I've noticed that your (re)delivery process is asynchronous.
You tell it to redeliver something and the WEB page remains active.
Diolog boxes pop up at random (asynchronous) times later to tell me the progress.
Being a bit of a multi-tasker, I do something like this:

Redeliver product A to avatar B
Redeliver product A to avatar C
Redeliver product D to avatar C

And THEN I get a message that says AN item was not delivered to the RECEIVING avatar. Which avatar? Which item?

I did not know the trick of asking them to log on before I re-deliver. That is good to know. Thank you!
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I thought of another question:
How about sending messages to people on other grids who are not logged on? Is that more reliable than sending them upgrades?
If so, I can send them an IM so they know there is an upgrade and ask them to arrange a time to log on when I can press the upgrade button.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Part of the problem is that not all grids have implemented offline IMs, those that have don't necessarily have email notifications for pending IMs and even when offline IMs are implemented they are often limited to just 25 pending messages. In other words, your messages might not be received by your customers.