Permissions

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Dragon Ronin

Permissions

Post by Dragon Ronin »

I go into Kitely sandbox and carefully set all permissions and bring correctly done items into inventory. Then when I place those items in the market the permissions are all completely different than what I uploaded,and there is not a way in the market to fix this. Is there a way I am unaware of?
Ilan Tochner

Re: Permissions

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Dragon,

Please note that Kitely Market uses the Next Owner permissions in its product listings so make sure you set those instead of the ones for the current owner.
Kayaker Magic

Post by Kayaker Magic »

I tried the following experiment:
I created a cube named Primitive, and changed the NEXT OWNER permissions to only C
I took it into inventory, then changed the permissions to MC for the NEXT OWNER
I added the primitive to a product in my store, the permissions were C only
This is not what I expected, I changed the NEXT OWNER permissions to MC, why did the M not take?
I rezzed a copy of the prim in-world it showed up as C only
This is not what I expected, when I look in inventory it still says MC, why does it say C only when rezzed?
I changed the permissions to MC for the NEXT OWNER while it was rezzed, then took it into inventory.
In inventory I named the new one Primitive2. Both that one and the original one in inventory both say the next owner permissions in inventory are MC.
I add both of these to a product in the Marketplace. Primitive lands there as C only, Primitive2 finally shows up as MC.
This is not what I expected, inventory shows something different than what I see in the Market
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kayaker,

Changing the permissions of an item while it is in your inventory is something that, by Second Life design, doesn't take actual effect until the object is rezzed and, due to implementation limitations in both Second Life and OpenSim, is something that can result in inconsistent behavior. See "Slam bit" at the bottom of this page for more details: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions.

Kitely Market uses the permissions your objects actually have so making changes to permissions of inventory items is not supported. The recommended way to make sure your objects get the permissions you want is to make permission changes on rezzed objects and only then take them into your inventory.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Dragon Ronin

Post by Dragon Ronin »

I just gave up after a while. I tried several permutations of ways to set permissions, Launching things, setting permissions and taking them back up, wearing the originals so the actual object could be observed while it was in the inventory, using the build tool, and using the perameters tool while in the inventory, while worn and while launched. Tried waiting so long I got tossed off, and tried while the avatar was inworld and while it wasn't. in the end the permissions inworld were different from what I got launching the same item in the market.

I even changed the spelling of the items so to make sure that the item in the market was the same as the one inworld, and the change in spelling tracked as Nicely as I would wish the changes in permissions would track.

If we could adjust the permissions on the object while in the market the entire dance could be avoided.
Dragon Ronin

Post by Dragon Ronin »

I made an image of two experimental cases. the Was is what I observed them to be last I saw inworld
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

You need to Remove the previously added items from the Items table and Add the new items instead. Kitely Market copies the items from your inventory it doesn't retain a connection with the inventory items once they've been added to a product listing.
Dragon Ronin

Post by Dragon Ronin »

Ilan Tochner wrote:You need to Remove the previously added items from the Items table and Add the new items instead. Kitely Market copies the items from your inventory it doesn't retain a connection with the inventory items once they've been added to a product listing.
I am totally aware of that, and expected it to be the case even before discovering it was so.

What I found surprising was that I did not have to be inworld to access the inventory and most early stuff was done while I was in world. However I have tried every permutation I can think of before filing a bug report.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

My plane is taking off now for an intercontinental flight. I'll reply when I arrive at my destination.
Dragon Ronin

Post by Dragon Ronin »

I even tried this evening from my tablet with the same results.