Naming Conventions

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Sierra Jakob

Naming Conventions

Post by Sierra Jakob »

I'm a little confused about the recommended naming of products. For example, I just made a house made of bamboo and grass. I named it "Tiki Tiki House 001". I put the number 001 in, because I plan to do other tiki houses and thought I could just number them. I called it "Tiki Tiki" because I plan to use that as a brand name for an extended set of products appropriate for a tropical environment.

I'm so confused about what you actually want with naming. Is the above appropriate and within the recommendations?

My main brand name that I have developed over the years in SL is "Sierra Jakob Designs" or "by Sierra Jakob". I've increasingly used these phrases in the name of my products, because people recognize it and can find it easily. Would Kitely be upset if I renamed the above product to something like "Tiki House 001 by Sierra Jakob Designs" ?
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Ilan Tochner

Re: Naming Conventions

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

"Tiki Tiki House 001" is fine though you might want to have a more descriptive name for it "Tiki Tiki Beach House" (for a 1-bedroom), "Tiki Tiki Beach Mansion" (for a big house), "Tiki Tiki Gazebo", etc.

People usually prefer buying things that have a descriptive name, as long as the names are not too wordy and can be easily remembered.

"Sierra Jakob Designs Tiki House 001" is okay, but "Sierra Jakob Designs Tiki Beach House" would be even better. Think about how items are listed in Amazon "Sony TV modelname", "Apple iPhone modlename", etc. (they don't call them "TV modelname by Sony" or "iPhone modelname by Apple")
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Sierra Jakob
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Sierra,

"Tiki Tiki House 001" is fine though you might want to have a more descriptive name for it "Tiki Tiki Beach House" (for a 1-bedroom), "Tiki Tiki Beach Mansion" (for a big house), "Tiki Tiki Gazebo", etc.

People usually prefer buying things that have a descriptive name, as long as the names are not too wordy and can be easily remembered.

"Sierra Jakob Designs Tiki House 001" is okay, but "Sierra Jakob Designs Tiki Beach House" would be even better. Think about how items are listed in Amazon "Sony TV modelname", "Apple iPhone modlename", etc. (they don't call them "TV modelname by Sony" or "iPhone modelname by Apple")
Ok, thanks--that helps. The reason I was putting the "Sierra Jakob Designs" last in the name, was because I thought it would effect where the product appeared in the listings when a shopper searched for "tiki house". I was thinking that "tiki house" being at the front of the product name--would get a better placement in the search. Is this an incorrect assumption?
Garden Castle - Market & Demo Info: http://www.kitely.com/market/product/42 ... ob-Designs
Sierra Jakob

Post by Sierra Jakob »

Okay. Took a stab at renaming the above product to make it more descriptive. Ilan, how is this? "Sierra Jakob Designs Tiki Beach House, Open Concept Style, Second Story Surround Ledge-Loft"
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Sierra,

The order of the brand name in relation to the rest of the product name shouldn't change search results.

"Sierra Jakob Designs Tiki Beach House, Open Concept Style, Second Story Surround Ledge-Loft", is a bit of a mouthful. I suggest choosing a name that people can remember more easily.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Constance Peregrine
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Sierra,

The order of the brand name in relation to the rest of the product name shouldn't change search results.

"Sierra Jakob Designs Tiki Beach House, Open Concept Style, Second Story Surround Ledge-Loft", is a bit of a mouthful. I suggest choosing a name that people can remember more easily.
but yet. I am positive "somebody" can set it to lyrics in a pretty song-)))
These users thanked the author Constance Peregrine for the post:
Sierra Jakob
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...