conforming the marketplace ratio to world images

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Ada Radius

conforming the marketplace ratio to world images

Post by Ada Radius »

Would you consider making the world images the same aspect ratio as the marketplace images? Then we could use our 4:3 marketing images there. 4:3 everywhere at Kitely would be lovely, except for the banners.
Ilan Tochner

Re: conforming the marketplace ratio to world images

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Ada,

Regardless of the aspect ratio issue, I'd recommend not using marketing images for your world profile images. One of the criteria for the search result ranking gives extra weight to worlds that have profile images that show actual pictures of those worlds. Images that are mockups, logos, real-world pictures etc. are ranked lower on that search ranking criteria (it's recalculated every few days). The recommended way to show a store logo is by showing an inworld picture that includes the store at an angle where the logo is visible.
Ada Radius

Post by Ada Radius »

I don't argue with the marketing, but my products are a lot more interesting than the shop itself, because I'm a better skin maker than I am a building builder. I'll figure something out. Even so, it would be a lot easier for us to deal with fewer, rather than more, aspect ratios.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Generally I agree about the desire to have a single aspect ratio for all images across the application however in this case the recommended aspect ratios differ because of the different purposes the images are designed to serve.

The 16x10 aspect ratio of the Public Worlds search results is used to give people a more immersive feel for the worlds they are shown. Whereas the 4x3 aspect ratio for Kitely Market listings is used to enable merchants to better display items, most of which have a hight to width ratio which isn't as wide as 16x10.