Strange error report

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Tess Juel

Strange error report

Post by Tess Juel »

I'm trying to list a set of trees on the Market and get this error report for some of the items included:

Object "OPQ Green Tree 35 L62-03 (CM)"
Prim #1, "OPQ Green Tree 35 L62-03 (CM)"
Missing default material: fd717e3f-d619-0f9c-f639-5a3cf614f434

What does it mean and what can I do to fix it?
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: Strange error report

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:52 pm
Hi Tess,

Please see: https://www.kitely.com/virtual-world-ne ... -products/
Thank you but it doesn't solve the problem. Where is that "default material" with the UUID fd717e3f-d619-0f9c-f639-5a3cf614f434??? i can't fix it if I can't find it.

It's certainly not on any of the faces of the meshes, nor is it in their inventories. And since it's six different meshes all giving the same error report with the same UUID, that UUID can't be the mesh itself either.

Maybe I should give some more details:
  • There are six different single meshes - no linksets. They are all trees, sharing the same two textures, one for the trunks and one for the canopies.
  • I can list those meshes with other textures, that works fine.
  • I can use those two textures on other meshes and list them with no problems
  • In other words, both the meshes and the textures work perfectly well, it's only when I combine them there are problems.
  • If I try a debug delivery, I get an error message that delivery failed but I do actually receive them and they turn up all red, full bright and with texture repeats reset to 1.
Edit: I found a part of the explanation and also a way to work around it. The trunks of the trees has a slight coloring added. If I clear the coloring and then reapply it, it works fine. It still doesn't seem to make any sense but at least I can get on with my product listings now.

Do you want me to send you copies of the problem items so you can have a look at them, Ilan?
Chris Namaste
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

Just like every prim has a default texture (and optional per-face textures), every prim also has a default material (and optional per-face materials). Unlike textures, you don't see these assets directly: they're created behind the scenes by OpenSim.

It looks like the material that was generated for this prim wasn't actually saved in the assets server. This shouldn't happen. However, it's conceivable, because OpenSim also has a caching system: when it creates a new material, it doesn't add it to the assets system immediately, but only after a little time has passed. The purpose of this delay is to avoid creating too many assets in cases where the material is being modified very often. If you happened to try to add the item to your inventory before the material had been saved to the assets system then this could be a problem. The fact that the problem disappeared after you cleared and reapplied the material points to this explanation.

I have tried to improve this behavior a couple of weeks ago, to make sure that materials are always saved when taking items into inventory. So either my improvements aren't enough, or you added these items to your inventory before my fixes.
These users thanked the author Oren Hurvitz for the post (total 2):
Tess JuelChris Namaste
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Oren Hurvitz wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:59 pm
It looks like the material that was generated for this prim wasn't actually saved in the assets server. This shouldn't happen. However, it's conceivable, because OpenSim also has a caching system: when it creates a new material, it doesn't add it to the assets system immediately, but only after a little time has passed.
I've noticed that sometimes a new mesh upload has the default blank texture, sometimes it doesn't have a defined texture. Is this the reason for that?
Oren Hurvitz

Post by Oren Hurvitz »

No, textures and materials are separate.
Chris Namaste

Post by Chris Namaste »

I've noticed that sometimes a new mesh upload has the default blank texture, sometimes it doesn't have a defined texture. Is this the reason for that?
hi tess
(just my fifty cents since this is my experience, maybe it helps?)

mesh can be uploaded with or without their textures (if you gave them any in the dae or the original lisenced creator gave any that is)
you can tick or untick with upload that, to add textures or not
like with xml as well
:)
Chris CreationZ url kitely market : https://www.kitely.com/market?store=914 ... &sort=date
Because ultimately we are not the avatars we create. We are not the pictures on the film stock. We are the light that shines through.Jim Carrey
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Chris Namaste wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:35 pm
mesh can be uploaded with or without their textures (if you gave them any in the dae or the original lisenced creator gave any that is)
you can tick or untick with upload that, to add textures or not
Yes, I know but I never ever import with textures. It's not important since i of course texture the meshes after uploading anyway. I was just curious.
Chris Namaste
RezMela Apps

Post by RezMela Apps »

Apologies for reviving a four-month-old thread, but just in case someone else is searching in the future:

I had this issue with a basic textured cube. All six sides had diffuse, normal and specular maps set to textures in my inventory, but the "missing default material" kept coming up with a completely different UUID. Since I couldn't find any way of changing it (either using the editor or by scripting) I just deleted the cube and created a new one. Perhaps this is the only way to fix it?
These users thanked the author RezMela Apps for the post:
Chris Namaste
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi RezMela Apps,

Does the object contain a script that creates dynamic textures?
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Chris Namaste