Missing Default Textures and Materials??? Can't Post Product.

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Filipa Thespian

Re: Missing Default Textures and Materials??? Can't Post Product.

Post by Filipa Thespian »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:20 pm
Hi Filipa,

The most common reasons for white (i.e. missing) textures are:

1) People applied textures locally instead of uploading them to their inventory and applying it from the inventory. In these cases people see the textured items okay until they clear their viewer cache or use a different viewer that doesn't have that texture cached.

2) People make changes to textures on objects in their inventory instead of applying changes only to rezzed objects.

3) People use scripts that apply textures (using their UUID) that aren't included in the item itself. Then, once the item is taken to another grid or uploaded to the marketplace the textures can't be found.

4) People use scripts the apply temporary, or dynamic, textures to the item. Such as textures that are dynamically generated on many scripts signs and vendors. This is done, for example, using these OSSL functions: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_TextureDrawing

5) People changed their Firewall settings, which can block access to downloading from our assets system.

6) Some programs, such as various Adobe apps, can cause such issues, see for example: viewtopic.php?p=30858#p30858
Well, None of those are my issue. So weird.

1) I haven't mistakenly applied local textures, I HAVE uploaded them to Kitely.
2) I don't ever apply changes like that in inventory (didn't even know I could lol).
3) & 4) I don't use any scripts to apply textures in any capacity
5) first, my firewall isn't an issue, but even if it were, I do not know how that would affect this issue as this is happening to the build when the marketplace gets it to chew on. It's all in kitely system where it all happens as far as I can tell. The textures ARE there on the build, and they ARE in my Kitely inventory.
6) I don't see how this client-side situation would affect something after it's entirely uploaded to kitely (textures, prims, mesh, etc).

NOW, on another note, I'm beginning to devise my own testing and thoughts on this lol.

I'm thinking the problem isn't the textures I apply to the front-facing prims, BUT rather, to the faces that are "internal" or facing each other (the sides we don't see). On every prim that turned red on the debug version, my custom wood texture that's my primary prim build texture setting in firestorm is there. SO, I made all internal faces transparent, removing all textures from those, and eventually, the builds got through the system. Today, curious if this was an ongoing issue, I changed my primary build/prim texture to BLANK so that hopefully, the inside facing prims will no longer be an issue.

I'm documenting all this here thoroughly, NOT to argue with you Ilan, but to make sure that

1) I have this here for my future reference for when I forget lol and
2) So it's here, just in case anyone else ever comes across this issue and there's something about it waiting for them here :).

Thanks for all you do.
These users thanked the author Filipa Thespian for the post:
Ilan Tochner
I am Pip, therefore I ... um ... well ... am :D

https://www.kitely.com/market?store=16267322
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Hi Filipa,

I've encountered this problem myself in the past, and it was reported in this thread, but the subject of the thread changed to physics and there was no resolution.

My best guess is that it's some kind of corruption of the object's data when it's imported - nothing I could do by editing or scripting would access or change that "default texture" and it's still unclear what it represents. Maybe it's an unused field in the prim properties that isn't accessible with the editor or with LSL/OSSL, but which the Kitely product upload checks nonetheless.

I don't recall if I imported it again or just recreated the prim within Kitely.

Sorry I couldn't help any more than this, and good luck with it!
These users thanked the author John Mela for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Brayla Sana

Post by Brayla Sana »

I had run into this problem when putting light-emitted objects (e.g. lamps) for sale. Any lighting objects you put for sale have to be "off" by default. No glow and no light emitting. SL and Opensim use temporary textures when rendering lighting.
These users thanked the author Brayla Sana for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerMichael Timeless
Dadiella's for Fashion and Brayla Sana Gallery for Building!
Filipa Thespian

John Mela wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 pm
Hi Filipa,

I've encountered this problem myself in the past, and it was reported in this thread, but the subject of the thread changed to physics and there was no resolution.

My best guess is that it's some kind of corruption of the object's data when it's imported - nothing I could do by editing or scripting would access or change that "default texture" and it's still unclear what it represents. Maybe it's an unused field in the prim properties that isn't accessible with the editor or with LSL/OSSL, but which the Kitely product upload checks nonetheless.

I don't recall if I imported it again or just recreated the prim within Kitely.

Sorry I couldn't help any more than this, and good luck with it!
Well see, that too confuses me ... they're prims ... just regular prims, not mesh (well sometimes mesh but not usually) ... so imported? Are you considering the rezzing of a prim, importing of the prim? Or are you talking about the textures being corrupted upon upload? Maybe ... they're the same brick textures I've had trouble with, in the past. hmmm. I'll try uploading them again I suppose, for the future.

I'll let you know if my change of the default texture (because that custom default wood I've been using has been the corrupted problem lol), fixes anything. I'd like to keep this thread going till there's an answer, just my OCD lol.

Filipa Thespian

Brayla Sana wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:49 am
I had run into this problem when putting light-emitted objects (e.g. lamps) for sale. Any lighting objects you put for sale have to be "off" by default. No glow and no light emitting. SL and Opensim use temporary textures when rendering lighting.
Now see here's an oddity ... I don't have that problem. I package all the lights in my builds as "on" and they've never glitched in the system, not even once. Just these textured prims. So odd.

John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Filipa Thespian wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:36 pm
Well see, that too confuses me ... they're prims ... just regular prims, not mesh (well sometimes mesh but not usually) ... so imported? Are you considering the rezzing of a prim, importing of the prim?
Sorry, I should have been clearer. These were plain prims that were part of objects that were brought into Kitely from another grid (via the Hypergrid).
These users thanked the author John Mela for the post:
Ilan Tochner