Terrain files

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Tess Juel

Re: Terrain files

Post by Tess Juel »

Dot Matrix wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:52 pm
There is potentially another way of creating and selling scenes... and that is via the RezMela system.
That's really interesting but it's not a solution to the potential issues Ilan is worried about. A rezzer script is a rezzer script no matter what you call it and if a sim has problems handling a rez box with a complete region build, it will have exactly the same problem with RezMela working on that scale.
There are plenty of other solutions though. The trick is to spread out the rezzing a bit, do a little bit at a time, and I can think of several ways to do that.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

Tess, don't dismiss the RezMela system as "just another rezzer script".

The RezMela team has worked skilfully and knowledgably to mitigate the issues that you mention, and more. It is a modular system and works at different building scales, so that you can use a suite of apps -- some for broad-brush landscaping, others for creating detailed areas of interest. This approach is already working well on Kitely, and Ilan and Oren have been very supportive of RezMela's development, offering advice etc.

The system helps speed up and automatically optimises landscape building, by encouraging re-use of items. It enables saving and loading of landscapes at will -- landscapes that can be easily switched between seasons.

Have a look at it -- talk to Ramesh Ramloll and/or John Mela, ask for a demo.

As I said before, there would be a good match between what you are trying to do with your mesh landscaping models and what the RezMela team is trying to do with its underlying scripting system/infrastructure.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 3):
Ilan TochnerRamesh RamlollJohn Mela
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

Tess Juel wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:19 pm
It's a Snowstorm issue, not specifically for FIrestorm.
That the problem doesn't exist in Singularity means they have somehow located and fixed it, while the problem still exists in Firestorm. So while it may be originating from Snowstorm code, it's still a problem that needs fixed within the Firestorm viewer.

Sounds like you have a handle on how to accomplish your goals. As far as I'm aware, a good rezzing system can indeed rez an entire region piece by piece. The only question I would have is the topography. So I'm wondering if simply creating an OAR file and then selling an accompanying contents box might be one answer.

Just throwing stuff out there. :D
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

Tess Juel wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:21 pm
A rezzer script is a rezzer script no matter what you call it and if a sim has problems handling a rez box with a complete region build, it will have exactly the same problem with RezMela working on that scale.
There are plenty of other solutions though. The trick is to spread out the rezzing a bit, do a little bit at a time, and I can think of several ways to do that.
Just to confirm what Dot has said, that RezMela has no issues with loading scenes of this kind of scale. And key to this is dividing the objects to be rezzed into "module" containers, each rezzing copies of objects independently under central control.

As you say, trying to do it in one burst is asking for trouble, and these (and other) operations are handled with a variety of throttling methods to achieve the fastest results without overwhelming OpenSim's rather arcane design. Bear in mind, of course, that RezMela does a LOT more than just rez scenes - that's really just a side-effect of its core functionality - and there is no problem at all with loading hundreds of objects, repositioning them around the region, communicating with them, sending and receiving data between objects, retexturing, and so on, all very rapidly.

In order to achieve this kind of performance, we've had to address a number of issues (and Ilan and Oren have been extremely helpful with improving Kitely's OpenSim to allow this to happen). For example, the balance between event queue size and event timeouts requires careful management, especially if - for whatever external reason - the sim is already heavily loaded. And core to this is fault tolerance and resilience, but that's a whole subject in itself.
These users thanked the author John Mela for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerDot MatrixRamesh RamlollAda RadiusTess Juel