Terrain files

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Tess Juel

Terrain files

Post by Tess Juel »

Is there a way to sell OAR files or terrain RAW files on Kitely Market?
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post (total 4):
Ilan TochnerGregg LegendarySelby EvansAda Radius
Ilan Tochner

Re: Terrain files

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess,

Not at this time.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Ada Radius
Gregg Legendary

Post by Gregg Legendary »

Tess Juel wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:39 pm
Is there a way to sell OAR files or terrain RAW files on Kitely Market?
way cool idea Tess... with ilans "not at this time" I'm betting there will be....
These users thanked the author Gregg Legendary for the post (total 2):
Selby EvansAda Radius
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

"There's always a way..." -- ancient dwagon wisdom

Sell a gift card that the buyer can turn in, and place the OAR on Dropbox or a similar place. When someone buys it, IM them the link to use (with license honor-binding them to not share the file). There's no way I know of to protect an OAR file from being copied and given to others, but that applies to pretty much anything on the market. We rely on the honor of the customer. This is one way you can sell an OAR file on Kitely Market. : )
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post (total 4):
Selby EvansAda RadiusShandon LoringAlexina Proctor
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Shandon Loring

Post by Shandon Loring »

That is a very workable approach Snoots. We implemented this approach some time ago for Terrain files at the Seanchai Mall. I never quite got back around to offering OAR files as I had intended to. Of course everything at Seanchai Mall is freebie/open source stuff not 'for sale'... but the concept as you mentioned it is viable.
These users thanked the author Shandon Loring for the post (total 3):
Snoots DwagonSelby EvansAda Radius
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Snoots Dwagon wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:25 pm
Sell a gift card that the buyer can turn in, and place the OAR on Dropbox or a similar place.
Yes, I've been thinking of a similar idea: Sell the content of the region in a rezbox and include a link to an OAR file with the empty landscape.

Is that a solution that would be acceptable, Ilan?
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess,

Packing an entire world's worth of assets into a single box would create an item that can very likely cause out of memory exceptions on other grids and even on Kitely world's that don't have enough RAM (see our Services page for details). I would highly recommend you avoid doing that.
Snoots Dwagon

Post by Snoots Dwagon »

There's another reason you don't want to create a "region rezzbox" Tess. Currently Firestorm has a major flaw in handling object contents. If you drop say, 300 items in a box, then try to see the object Contents... it can take 5, 10, 20 minutes for just the names of the object to show up. This does not happen in Singularity; the Contents show within just a few seconds. So it's evidently a major Firestorm issue.

Now, imagine the thousands of objects that would comprise an entire region... and trying to stuff all that in a box. You can only move a few dozen items at a time, and each time the display time would become relatively larger. By the time you filled the box with all the sim contents chances are the Earth would have made several orbits around the sun. :roll:

I'm really hoping the Firestorm team gets that problem fixed. It's a major headache for builders and scripters. It takes so long to add things to contents that I actually exit Firestorm and use another viewer until the project is finished. Now that I mention that, I suppose it is conceivably possible to shove an entire region into a single box using a different viewer. And being a Dwagon, now I wanna test that theory. Mwahahahahahaa.. :twisted:

But I won't. I cause Ilan and Oren enough anxiety as it is due to my nature as a bug magnet. ;D
These users thanked the author Snoots Dwagon for the post:
Alexina Proctor
~~~~~~~
I'm a dwagon in real life too. (Ask my sister, who totally agrees.)

~~~~~~~
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Snoots Dwagon wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:06 am
There's another reason you don't want to create a "region rezzbox" Tess. Currently Firestorm has a major flaw in handling object contents. If you drop say, 300 items in a box, then try to see the object Contents... it can take 5, 10, 20 minutes for just the names of the object to show up. This does not happen in Singularity; the Contents show within just a few seconds. So it's evidently a major Firestorm issue.
It's a Snowstorm issue, not specifically for FIrestorm. (For those who don't know, SNowstorm is the name for the core code of all SL viewers from v. 2.0 and onwards and all TPVs based on it. The old version one SL viewer that Singularity is based on is called Snowglobe.)
It's easy enough to work around though. It doesn't need to be one single rezzbox so I can split it into a dosen or two boxes with less than 100 items in each.
Ilan Tochner wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:31 am
Packing an entire world's worth of assets into a single box would create an item that can very likely cause out of memory exceptions on other grids and even on Kitely world's that don't have enough RAM (see our Services page for details). I would highly recommend you avoid doing that.
These are my meshes and my scripts so performance will never be an issue. I mean, we're talking about things that my battered old cheap Lenovo desktop running SoaS can handle without raising a sweat.

Still, I do understand why you're nervous about allowing such a thing so if you tell me not to, I won't do it.
Dot Matrix

Post by Dot Matrix »

There is potentially another way of creating and selling scenes... and that is via the RezMela system. At the moment the focus is on small scenes, and limited to the objects within the system itself.

But the underlying engine can work with region-sized scenes, with modules of objects populated by users. It is a very powerful system that can be used for whole landscapes.

There would be a very good match with your objects, Tess. Ramesh is the person you might want to talk to.
These users thanked the author Dot Matrix for the post (total 2):
Ilan TochnerAlexina Proctor