Market doing weird things

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Kimm Starr

Market doing weird things

Post by Kimm Starr »

The Market is doing weird things while I'm trying to upload products. It's showing Items that I didn't upload in the variation Items box. The permissions are not all correct, but before I add the product to my folder, they are correct. It makes me not want to bother. I make tons of stuff, but when it comes to uploading items to put in my shop, well, It's a giant pain in the rear end. Just posting cause maybe there are updates being done or something is off. It's never this bad. I have tried uploading a freebie for over an hour now and have about 10 other way more complicated Christmas pieces ready for uploading and shiver to think how that will go if I can't even upload a simple freebie. Thanks
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post:
Ilan Tochner
I'm obsessed with Animesh and soon you will be too!
Ilan Tochner

Re: Market doing weird things

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Kimm,

The market gets the information it shows, when you add a product to a listing, directly from your inventory. The reason that permissions may differ is because of a slam bit that hasn't been applied yet. This can happen when you've made changes to items or their permissions while they were in your inventory instead of while they were rezzed. Please read: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Permissions

The solution is to rezz the items in order to allow the slam bit to be applied, take back these items into your inventory and only then add them to our marketplace.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Tess JuelSarim Skywise
Kimm Starr

Post by Kimm Starr »

Well that makes a bit more sense. I did in fact change some permissions while items were in inventory. it drove me nuts yesterday. Thank You
These users thanked the author Kimm Starr for the post:
Ilan Tochner
I'm obsessed with Animesh and soon you will be too!
John Mela

Post by John Mela »

I've never understood why this happens from a systems perspective, and it does seem to cause a lot of issues for users.

If it happens in both SL and OpenSim, it's presumably an issue in the SL viewer codebase. Is the viewer not sending updates to perms in inventory to the server? And if it is a viewer issue, is there a Jira for LL related to this?

I can understand that the client/server design might want to economise on network traffic, but it seems to me that something like a change to object properties in inventory should be reflected at the server side in real time.
These users thanked the author John Mela for the post (total 2):
Zed deTremontShandon Loring
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi John,

It was a bad design decision by Linden Lab when it first implemented inventory and we're all stuck with it now unless the viewer devs change it and OpenSim makes matching changes. This isn't something that can be easily fixed on just the server side.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 6):
Kimm StarrZed deTremontSelby EvansShandon LoringTess JuelJohn Mela
Sarim Skywise

Post by Sarim Skywise »

Yes,
My product was showing wrong permissions on its market page.

I rezzed the item with the FINAL permissions,
I took back to the Market folder,
I deleted and re-added the item to the VARIATION items list.

Now the product show the correct permissions.

Thank you
These users thanked the author Sarim Skywise for the post:
Ilan Tochner