The missing deault material bug is back :-(

Discussion and support for the Kitely Market
Tess Juel

The missing deault material bug is back :-(

Post by Tess Juel »

See screenwhot below. Is there anything that can be done about it?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (31.62 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
These users thanked the author Tess Juel for the post:
Ilan Tochner
Ilan Tochner

Re: The missing deault material bug is back :-(

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess,

Please read viewtopic.php?t=5966
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:35 am
Hi Tess,

Please read viewtopic.php?t=5966
I knew about that thread Ilan and maybe I should have posted there rather than start a new one. I'm not sure if it's the same issue though and even if it is, there is no solution to the problem in that thread.

Edit:
To give some more details.
  • The mesh and all textures and normal and specular maps are my own.
  • The mesh and the normal and specular maps were uploaded only an hour or so before I tried to list it.
  • There are no local textures used or anything like that. In fact, the textures (but not the normal and specular maps) have already for sale on Kitely market for two or three years as parts of some of the texture sets I sell there and I've never had any complaints from buyers of these.
  • The listing includes two copies of the mesh with different textures. Only one of them gives the error message, the other one works fine.
  • In other words: The textures work fine on KM and the mesh works fine on KM. The problem only occurs when I combine them.
  • Everything looks fine in-world and also when I give a copy to somebody on another grid. It's only when I try to send the mesh to KM the textures get messed up.
  • I tried several times to redo the texturing from scratch with a fresh copy of the mesh and both with and without the normal and specular maps but I always get the same error.
  • The UUID in the error message is not the one for any of the textures. If I understood Oren correctly last time we had this issue, the "default material is some hidden asset added to the mesh when it's uploaded and has nothing to do with the actual textures used - or with anything else useful for that matter.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Have you tried Ada's suggestion? viewtopic.php?p=29767#p29767
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:38 pm
Have you tried Ada's suggestion? viewtopic.php?p=29767#p29767
No, I didn't try that yet. I'll do that for future builds to see if it helps.

I suppose the problem with this particular listing is solved now though. What I did was one more try to texture a fresh copy from scratch. This time it worked, some of the copies I made yesterday with exactly the same mesh and exactly the same textures and maps (I did compare them one by one to make absolutely sure) don't.

You clearly have what all programmers hate the most here, an intermittent bug. I've kept the broken copies for now. Do you want me to send them to you or to Oren so you can examine them?
Gusher Castaignede

Post by Gusher Castaignede »

I had the same issue with a mesh that was fine before then was getting that same error, but eventually ended up re-uploading it..
"lnteractivity, Variety, Ease of Use"
Visit my store at Country Manor
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Gusher Castaignede wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:42 pm
I had the same issue with a mesh that was fine before then was getting that same error, but eventually ended up re-uploading it..
To clarify, I didn't even reupload anything. I just added the same old textures to a copy of the mesh I uploaded yesterday and suddenly it worked just fine.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Tess, the most likely cause is bad communication between the viewer and the server with the viewer showing changes before they were saved in the server and you adding the item back into inventory before the messages about the retexturing have been accepted by the server. This is done over UDP so problems like this happen from time to time. That's one of the reasons we have Kitely Market check for missing textures to begin with, so you'll have an indication that something broke and won't list products with missing parts. There is no point in sending us the item, we won't gain any additional information from it.
Tess Juel

Post by Tess Juel »

Ilan Tochner wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:00 pm
Hi Tess, the most likely cause is bad communication between the viewer and the server with the viewer showing changes before they were saved in the server and you adding the item back into inventory before the messages about the retexturing have been accepted by the server.
If I understand you right the solution the is to not list a new item riright away but wait a few hours to let the assets server catch up with the latest changes? If so, that's perfectly ok by me as long as I'm aware of it.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

No, that's not what I meant. The issue is that the communication from the viewer to the server regarding the texture change hadn't been received before you copied the item back into inventory. Once the item is copied back into inventory, it is stored with whatever textures the server was aware of at the time. Any "late arrivals" won't be applied to the copy that is already in your inventory.

It's therefore best to follow Ada's advise regarding default textures and to also wait a few minutes after making changes to objects before copying them back into inventory (it should normally be okay to do so within seconds but sometimes network load can cause some packets to arrive late).
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post:
Tess Juel